Lt. Commander
So I've been watching all the Star Trek movies again, and I have to ask, why do so many people hate Insurrection and Nemesis? I mean, they aren't as good as say Wrath of Khan, but then, what is?

Take Nemesis. The overall plot is decent, the issues it explores through the vital differences between Data/B4 and Picard/Shinzon are well done (overall) and while Shinzon himself is hardly the best movie villain the creepy Viceroy picks up a lot of the slack and the battle itself is great.

Is it because Data dies? Because, literarily speaking Data coming back through B4 couldn't be a bigger Chekov's gun if they'd tried.

Edit: Huh, I could have sworn I was posting this in 10F, no matter, not worth a clone thread. Then again, we are talking about Nemesis.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
You are right, this should have been 10F and I goofed, but phrasing it like that comes off a bit - brusque.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokesmith View Post
You are right, this should have been 10F and I goofed, but phrasing it like that comes off a bit - brusque.
I still agree with Plinkett.

Nemesis = Clunky, horror movie version of Wrath of Kahn. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I watched about half his review (I really should be in bed already or I would have watched it all) and he does have some valid points. Its just, somehow, not enough to make me dislike the movie. Definitely not the best Trek film (though still not as bad as V or as boring as I) but I enjoyed it.

I dunno, maybe I'm just set up to naturally like anything Trek? I blame my parents, they're the ones who literally raised me on the stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. The question isn't why don't you like ST:N, but why do you hate it so much?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-17-2011, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I still agree with Plinkett.

Nemesis = Clunky, horror movie version of Wrath of Kahn. :p
Also, the Scimitar was like the worst fan**** Villain Sue ever.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Nemesis does feel a lot like a rehash of Wrath of Khan with a TNG skin, allthough i really really do enjoy Insurrrection.

But to be blunt, Nemesis storyline sucked and overall was not very "deep".
Just as one example you never get to find out "why" the "Remans" are interested in destroying earth.

That said, i do think there is only one strong point of nemesis.... it has some of the coolest space combat of the franchise.
But i really like where Cryptic is taking the Nemesis/Trek 2009 story arc, now with the Remans struggle for freedom and the usual plots of the Tal Shiar.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokesmith View Post
Solid gold.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I, too, was meh about Star Trek: Nemesis. I had always thought a more 'Trek' solution would have been Picard and Riker 'castling.'

Riker is POed at the psychic officer for what he did to Troi.
Picard is POed at Shinzon.

Both are too emotionally wrapped up in their opponents to act reliably, so they castle. Picard will take on the Reman psychic dude, and Riker, with his penchant for unorthodox space tactics, will take on Shinzon. It shows the teamwork part of Star Trek, and the reason why you have an ensemble: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.