Lt. Commander
Right, I'm not standing against the C-store. I see its need and its value to players, the game and Cryptic.

I'm happy to see that some C-store items are made available in game. It is a shame that not all items are made available in game. There are going to be younger players (say 15 or younger - who cannot legally work - in England at least -) who will want an item but have no means of getting it. But still at least there alternate options to acquire certain items without having to sepnd hard earned cash.

However

500 Emblems is steep and expensive in terms of cost of time spent completing missions to earn 500 emplems. Even then you have to grind more emblems, marks etc to kit the ship out in weapons and consoles. The process is arduous and painful and while there is the alternate option of simply paying for it with cash, it is unethical that the 'paying for it' should be so much more appealing than playing the game and earning 500 emblems.

In fact I don't think I have collected 500 emblems. I know for a fact that I've never accumilateed 500 emblems in one go.

And again while I see the need for the C-store and I don't feel that purchasing with emblems should be as easy or as instanenous as paying with cash. I feel needing to collect 500 emblems really isn't an option for most, IMO.

Personally my suggestion would be to either lower the cost of emblem/mark related items or increase the opportunities or the number of emblems/marks awarded form completing missions to make it a realistic and viable option.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-07-2011, 03:35 AM
You aren't meant to grind the emblems. You're meant to give Cyptic cash. That's the reason it's so steep.

Or.... the emblem chase is laughingly considered content. A simple way to dress up repetition as achieving a goal.

Or.... as the apologists of the C store like to say, the items placed there are not needed to play STO. It is not game content but merely fluff. By that rationale, Cryptic are not doing you a favour by adding non-content to the game for emblems and calling it treats.

You can either buy a ship from the store, then sit in space dock since there's really nothing to do with your new ship, or grind for a new ship, and in the process, really come to detest the same thing day after day until such time as you have 500 emblems, then stop playing since there's nothing for you to do in your new ship except the same things you've just done for you 500 emblems lol.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-07-2011, 03:40 AM
yeah did you not know that why it is able to obtain the stuff from the c-store you have to grind like a nut not to say you have to do this on every char you want the item :p

imo 500 emblems is indeed harsh, even 100 sounds crazy much but like someone els here said its not meant to be a eazy way to get stuff "sadly" its there to make people see its way to much work so we buy atari points and buy the item from the c-store ! that marketing right there for yah sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx
Or.... as the apologists of the C store like to say, the items placed there are not needed to play STO. It is not game content but merely fluff. By that rationale, Cryptic are not doing you a favour by adding non-content to the game for emblems and calling it treats.
Ehm its not only "FLUFF" anymore XP boost, Ships like Galaxy X or the Exelcior or even the siege one !! thats just a small portion of the stuff that gives player an edge in game! so not needed YES true in a small sent, gives you an Boost/advantage YES it does.

still the C-store is there for CRYPTIC not us the players, and putting the items from c-store in game for an insane amount of emblems is a way to say to us look we care you hate the c-store and look we add the items to the game this way BUT at the same time say "Grind your butts off if you don't want to pay extra for it" !! double sided edge this is! anyways i never gonna grind stuff this games end game is way to boring for that not to say none existed .
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-07-2011, 03:44 AM
I had about 200 something emblems when Cryptic increased the Emblem cost to 500 for those ships.

Since then I have not grinded emblems since. It was a bad move then, its still a bad move now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazumaKat
I had about 200 something emblems when Cryptic increased the Emblem cost to 500 for those ships.

Since then I have not grinded emblems since. It was a bad move then, its still a bad move now.
I'm sorry, I must have missed when they increased the Emblem price required to purchase ANY ship.

If you're referring to the Nebula, its Marks of Exploration, and it was needed because it was literally the ONLY one that had a different price - despite it costing exactly the same via the Cstore.

But aside from that, all the ships available for emblems have always been 500. No change there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-07-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm honestly not sure people are appreciating the hard work the guys at Cryptic have done to even get these things in game in the first place. Yes, 500 is a little steep, but the fact is that if not for Stahl and Stormshade (iirc), this stuff wouldn't even be in-game. It would be solely C-Store. Yet Atari wants to see Star Trek Online make money, so the C-Store is necessary.

I honestly get that it's a lot of hard work, but for many that can't pay anything more than a monthly sub, having the option at all is a wonderful thing. They just had to set a high price to please Atari.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-07-2011, 03:58 AM
While I can agree that 500 emblems is somewhat steep, I do have to wonder how some of the people who are complaining about the emblem cost would cope in some older MMOs, Korean MMOs, or Eve... The emblem grind looks easy in comparison to what you have to do in other games to get high end equipment (or even just level)
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
I'm honestly not sure people are appreciating the hard work the guys at Cryptic have done to even get these things in game in the first place. Yes, 500 is a little steep, but the fact is that if not for Stahl and Stormshade (iirc), this stuff wouldn't even be in-game. It would be solely C-Store. Yet Atari wants to see Star Trek Online make money, so the C-Store is necessary.

I honestly get that it's a lot of hard work, but for many that can't pay anything more than a monthly sub, having the option at all is a wonderful thing. They just had to set a high price to please Atari.
again i fail to see the view of some players !! C-store DON'T make sense wen the game is NOT F2P !! you say hard work, cryptic bla bla YES all TRUE but ask your self why in the hell do we pay monthly fee for the game?! (well i'm lifer but i speak for the rest of us) don't get me totally wrong here i do understand the C-store to some point (example: the services) BUT things like Costumes or wait even better a new RACE my god don't make me start about them, you buy a new race, lets say ferengi or that fed klingon, and then you see OMG i need to buy extra char slot too ?! what the hell cryptic !!!
untill this game goes F2P i will be a no-no to the C-store's idea, sadly even i have given in to the "dark" side and got stuff from the store cus its easy :/
anyways done talking about this there will be always people positive and negative c-store most likely the rich (positive) "cus money is not on there mind or care" and the "not so rich" (negative) "money has a value".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphenoix
While I can agree that 500 emblems is somewhat steep, I do have to wonder how some of the people who are complaining about the emblem cost would cope in some older MMOs, Korean MMOs, or Eve... The emblem grind looks easy in comparison to what you have to do in other games to get high end equipment (or even just level)
LOL played Lineage2 dude the grind in that game is so high you look-up a new meaning for the word "GRIND" !! hehe like the game very much BUT this has nothing to do with the emblems and C-store !! why most korean games that have a insane grind have no c-store or store for items!!! so the grind is the only way !! here its more like a bone we got tossed "look people now you can get c-store items ingame not for cash (so you think) but for emblems" ! HA it cost you more CASH in play time "to grind" the item then to buy it from the c-store. ... damz i said a post before i was not talking about this any-more hehe guess the hate runs deep.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2011, 04:08 AM
I really hope you didn't just suggest that I'm rich.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
Yet Atari wants to see Star Trek Online make money, so the C-Store is necessary.

The C-store is NOT required to make STO successful. Hard work and finishing a game that was released 18 months early is. Spend the time actually finishing the in game content. Bring it up to standards that warrant this Teir 1 IP.

If this game is surviving off the C-store, then we are all gonna be sorry, it will NEVER replace a solid game foundation. I cant stand the argument that the "C-store is needed" for Star Trek to be a success.
Closed Thread