Lt. Commander
By adding "accolades" for Deep Space Encounters, the game designers have encouraged players to take their VA characters into DSEs and farm them.

The problem? Those of us on alts or playing the game for the first time are zoning in to get one-shotted by ships 30+ levels above us, because the DSE mobs are somehow level-adjusted to the VA players.

This has happened to me about a dozen times this week; it just happened again tonight. Zone in, die instantly. Respawn, die instantly. I tried changing instances and ran into the same problem.

Why? Because there are VA characters farming a Commander-level DSE in a Commander zone.

Because this is a problem caused directly by a game design decision, it shouldn't be hard to fix. I'm begging you, Cryptic, please address this issue in a timely fashion so we can play level-appropriate content on our lower-level toons. This is one of those maddeningly frustrating things about STO -- if the PvP queues are 45 minutes, and I'm looking for something else to do besides repeat missions and exploration, and on top of all that I cannot play a simple DSE for fun, that means I'm logging off and I'm not a happy customer. Please make this fix a priority.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Unfortunately, this has been an issue since launch.

Cryptic said DSEs are going to get revamped. But all we know its going to be somewhere around Season 4, which is months from now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Simply solution, don't do DSEs.

Seriously I cannot remeber doing a DSE in the last months of me playing and I have been leveling alts, only once I got sucked into one because I was afk. There are better ways to earn exp
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
Simply solution, don't do DSEs.

Seriously I cannot remeber doing a DSE in the last months of me playing and I have been leveling alts, only once I got sucked into one because I was afk. There are better ways to earn exp
I like DSEs. They're easy to jump into and they're guaranteed space combat...if you do exploration missions you never know what you're going to get.

As I mentioned, the PvP queues are depressingly long, and since I am playing an alt character I have already played the missions.

So I don't think it's acceptable to say the solution is just to stop playing a part of the game that I enjoy, when it was a developer game design decision that caused this problem and sent VAs to farm DSEs en masse.

Quite simply, I'm running out of things to do in this game, and this doesn't help.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pattern_Jugglers View Post
I like DSEs. They're easy to jump into and they're guaranteed space combat...if you do exploration missions you never know what you're going to get.

As I mentioned, the PvP queues are depressingly long, and since I am playing an alt character I have already played the missions.

So I don't think it's acceptable to say the solution is just to stop playing a part of the game that I enjoy, when it was a developer game design decision that caused this problem and sent VAs to farm DSEs en masse.

Quite simply, I'm running out of things to do in this game, and this doesn't help.
i agree with you. and in my opinion, doing DSE's is one of the best ways to level in the game

people are just being selfish about getting an accolade that really doesnt mean anything

yes cryptic has said theyre going to change DSE's. that will not be until season 4, so until then were just going to have to put up with it
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pattern_Jugglers View Post
I like DSEs. They're easy to jump into and they're guaranteed space combat...
Same here, I enjoy DSE's as well. Small groups of ship at + or - 4 is a good challenge, at least for some of us, but those +30 and up are quite different.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-13-2011, 07:42 AM
If you are a Feddy, the best way to get XP is to redo the dailies, um, everyday. Just doing the dailies you can get up to two ranks per day. Then redo the short Feature episodes (Spin the Wheel, etc).

As a Klingon, if all you want is DSE-type combat: Kahless Expanse!