Lt. Commander
Now, I know the Devs are looking into the NPC spam issue in PvP and I'm quite thankful for it. To that end, I'd just like to provide these images as an example of what some matches end up like.

All of these images were taken during a single FvK Cap N Hold. Case in point: In the third picture, there's already a large amount of clutter on the screen. But if you look towards the bottom right on the image (slightly above my power tray, directly above the Vanguard Battleship marker) you'll see that there are a further seventeen enemies ~3KM away, right off screen.

Just to be clear, I'm in no way bitter about be dead in some of those pictures. :p I just wanted to give an actual in-game example of the chaos that can be caused in a simple 5v5 CnH to put credit to all of the complaints we've had.

Additions from others within the community:
Admiral_Joslin (1, 2)
Bob: (1, 2)
Moar from me: (1, 2)
Mavairo: (1, 2)
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes well if we had a target next player key, all these stupid mine & scram-builds would go away overnight. Which I whole-heartedly believe is the right move.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazKid
Yes well if we had a target next player key, all these stupid mine & scram-builds would go away overnight. Which I whole-heartedly believe is the right move.
Exactly. Having Tab only target players would fix a HUGE amount of problems.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Well i see saaske was in the match that guy puts out tons of spam. 3 sets of fighters 3 mine lanchers and 2 cluster torpedos running two dispersal patterns = hope you have a good puter HERE COMES THE LAG!
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2011, 05:05 AM
lol look at the second to last picture is that hull repair drones who uses those?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepez
lol look at the second to last picture is that hull repair drones who uses those?
I've met a Carrier pilot using siphones yesterday. I don't remember names or Fleet, if any. I was surprised to see that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake
. I feel the whole petspam discussion also makes the carriers very questionable at all - this ship is designed with petspam as a basis lol. So carriers without pets? Doesn't make too much sense either i guess....
Carriers in Startrek never made sense to me, either, so it's just consistent... :p

But for real - if it were _only_ Carriers that provide some spam, it would be manageable for most, I think. Maybe we need to reduce the numbers and buff hull and damage output for them to compensate again...

The problem is once Mines, Mine Patterns, Carriers, Scorping Fighters, Photonic Fleets and all that mix together and cause an uncontrollable chaos.

---

Did any PvPers test out the new Tribble build yet? It contains several of the fixes and changes Chaddington and snix mentioned before, including Scrambling Carrier Pets, New Pet behavior for cloaked vessels, new BFAW logic and Tractor Beam Mine nerfs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-19-2011, 05:07 AM
it still will be problem for 'not-so-high-end-computers' i guess. I seriuosly feel there should be a reduction in npc-ships/mines/fighters...
If we have the option to ignore targeting those, we are on a road were the logically next stop will be to get rid of them totally. In this case the whole PvP balance has to be reworked. I feel the whole petspam discussion also makes the carriers very questionable at all - this ship is designed with petspam as a basis lol. So carriers without pets? Doesn't make too much sense either i guess....

That would mean the carriers need a complete new role in game, maybe they could function as spawn points? ..also not the bright idea... hmmm - suggestions?

It's a complicated matter - no easy fixes I see here.

I appreciate the work the devs are putting into this matter and i am quite sure they will come up with something feasible... so lets get on tribble and give the devs some feedback!

Regards
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-19-2011, 05:24 AM
it would be a huge diff. if they just wernt allowed to use two dispersal patterns. not many people do that. but when they do its horrable. even for the carrier pilot a scramble or two and some of your own stuff will stay hostile toward you and you cant attack it. This would be both mines and fighters.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I feel the whole petspam discussion also makes the carriers very questionable at all - this ship is designed with petspam as a basis lol. So carriers without pets? Doesn't make too much sense either i guess....

That would mean the carriers need a complete new role in game
Lately I've been seeing more and more carriers that run with BoP hangars, which I'm perfectly fine with. I'm also fine with the frigates launched from the Kar'fi. I'm even ok with scorpion fighters, although I think they're just a novelty at best.

What I absolutely HATE is when I see 3 carriers on a team, all of them using fighters, scorpion fighters, photonic fleet, and mines. The ball NPC ball o' crap that follows these things around is just an annoyance...fighters don't do any real damage, they just make everything confusing. Then their BoP team mates tend to hide in the ball and nuke you before you even see what's firing at you. Quite an annoyance indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-21-2011, 04:36 AM
The very first organized spam team I encountered was Fed. My experience indicates Feds are the largest spammers, probably due to pet envy maybe. I know they have been complaining about pets for a long time and now they have taken to the extreme with mines and junk.

It's always something. When I used to use Tractor Beam Repulsers (TBR), people complained. It has a new, excellent use now breaking up weak pet and mine clusters. As soon as a mineboy launches I can clear them and spin him around and TBR is on a short timer. The problem is when a fedball circles and mines nonstop, like the garbage ball in the Pacific. Then it helps to have two people use TBR.

I find it hilarious that a discussion on mine spam turns into "what can we do to the carriers" discussion. You guys really only have one playbook.

If it is such a problem, limit the amount of mines any player can have out and up the damage. It's only two maps your talking about, Arena and Capture and Hold. I never see fedballs getting to critical mine mass in Kerrat.