Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
PVP is losing its touch, not too many poeple play it, if at all, especially at lower lower.
Captain, commander PVP the avg wait is 30+ mins.

Lets create a reward system to encourage more people to play

after 25 pvp games play = X bonus (X = great ground weapon, a lot more XP bonus, special power)
50 pvp game X bonus
100 pvp X bonus ( special pvp ship, or special pvp weapon(thats really good) etc.
150 pvp games....etc.

Cryptic, you really need to do something PVP is dieing hard, and meanwhile it is a great part of the game to have some fun.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I to feel that PvP is extremely bad at lower levels....Lt.Cmdr, Cmdr and Captain.

I think that it is due more to PvE levels faster, fed side, and can get to the "end-game" fairly quickly without having to hassle with PvP queues.
Furthermore, I do not feel Cryptic taking time and $$ to make 'special' weapons or ships to encourage PvP. Heck, they cannot even make 'special' ships for KDF balance, let alone 'special' weapons to further diversify fighting on both sides.

I do think a 'reward' is called for to 'entice' more PvP presence.
Data samples all 3 types for each level x5
Marks [Honor/Explore]
EC Raised by 40%
Skill point Raise by 40%
BO points Raise by 50%

Incentives to allow you to craft your own weapons or consoles.....to allow you to increase your BO skills faster and more readily.....to allow you to earn more EC to buy weapons and consoles.....to allow you gain skill levels faster to speed you through levels.
We all want to get to end game to play with our Friends, Fleet and not all want to really PvP to get there. "Sweeten the pot" and you will get increased participation....just my thoughts on it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Before my time,PvP missions used to reward more skill points then they do now. Maybe we need to go back there...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2011, 01:40 PM
As we learned from Marks of Honor and Emblems, adding incentives would only cause the wrong kinds to participate in matches.

IMHO the best way to get people to participate in PvP is to make it fun, not stressful. For instance Open PvP with Territorial PvP. And perhaps adjusting PvP so its less curbstompish.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
As we learned from Marks of Honor and Emblems, adding incentives would only cause the wrong kinds to participate in matches.
We are not rewarding PvP. We are rewarding people for being in a particular area in the game. If we were rewarding them for PvP, we would count damage, healing, kills, deaths, wins.

Quote:
IMHO the best way to get people to participate in PvP is to make it fun, not stressful. For instance Open PvP with Territorial PvP. And perhaps adjusting PvP so its less curbstompish.
We have Open PvP in Ker'rat. People are not happy, curbstoping happens there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
We are not rewarding PvP. We are rewarding people for being in a particular area in the game. If we were rewarding them for PvP, we would count damage, healing, kills, deaths, wins.
Unfortunately not counting that only leads to the AFK folks in the PvP matches so they can "earn" their marks without actually participating. Which is one of the reasons the PvP mission rewards got lowered in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthar
Unfortunately not counting that only leads to the AFK folks in the PvP matches so they can "earn" their marks without actually participating. Which is one of the reasons the PvP mission rewards got lowered in the first place.
I don't like having to advocate 'harsh' rules...but evoking a 0 kill, 0 damage, 0 healing rule to deny reward to non-participants be considered. This has been brought up many times in the past. We all know the slightest damage on a player when the player dies gives a kill and damage points....even healers doing healing get shots off and thus kills. Simply filter for kills> damage > healing.....idk, sounds good.
Either way...even at lower levels, getting samples, EC, marks more than is current would be a way to get more matches, more involvement...not necessarily all bad.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I think we are all concerned about getting more people into PVP but I'm not entirely sure that more rewards (or exclusive rewards) are going to have the desired effect. Right now emblems alone draw enough of the wrong type of players. We need more bodies but we need them to be more than just bodies, if that makes sense.

I've never been supportive of a winner take all reward system and I'm not entirely sure that PVP exclusive rewards are such a good idea either. A revamp that increases the pay out for accomplishing things (like winning but not just for wins) would hopefully be more helpful. A bigger difference in the range of Energy Credit, Skill Point, and Honor/Merit payout would be great. I do like the idea of people having a random shot at earning some anomalies (different numbers and rarity). There is another thread around here somewhere that offers up a broader range of accolades that would be really cool to have implemented too.

In the end, I'm up for trying just about anything to get more people involved but I do mean that they must be involved. They need to want to play. This can't just be another incentive to AFK.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Emblems were the worst thing ever happened to this game IMO. I never did any STF (okey, once, Infected). But due to emblems I can get the STF gear. And vice versa, someone who does not like PvP, has access to that gear. Not that it matters so much, cause entire line of gear is totally out of whack. So maybe they could start here, before they would get any ideas how to attract more ppl to PvP.

Anyway, idling trough PvP match is probably the fastest way to get emblems and with them access to anything.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
That's not rewarding, thats score keeping.

Real reward is basically what everyone wants Territoral PvP to be, actual control. Where your kills mean something more than just adding numbers on some stupid leaderboard. Actual use of strategy than just spamming abilities. That sort of thing.

Quote:
We have Open PvP in Ker'rat. People are not happy, curbstoping happens there.
Its not necessarily curbstomping its Ganked Curbstomping. Then there is the Borg helping out, and of course the ever popular spawn camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithterror View Post
Rewarding those to play PvP matches is just the "carrot on the stick". There will always be people who come in and choose to do nothing....at least the increased incentive would give credence to actually be part of the match. Some don't like to fight certain players or fleets due to tactics or "gimmicks"....so they either bail or sit it out and get 3-prong reward.
By having the matches reward more without a "daily" reward.....it encourages more play since you get "moar" for doing a PvP match than needing to do PvE missions to get "moar" rewards. So, those that like to do PvP will do it more since there is "moar" reward for doing so and doesn't ahve to split time to "gather" for themselves or their fleet.
Exactly, get rid of that carrot and rewarded for actually doing some killing. That actually encouraged people to improve more in PvP than STO's system of the loser trophy (hey we lost, but no problem, we got the credit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithterror View Post
Kerrat is a prime example of open PvP, despite number imbalances. Yet, PvE'ers hate the PvP that comes with it and sometimes vice-versa. Until a more defined sense of open PvP with control functions is introduced i cannot say anything more about it.
stressful and fun....well i know we **** off lots of Pug teams to where half the team leaves when they see it is us.I don't think fun goes both ways and can see why frustration brews from the pug stand-point.
Look at my response to Must regarding Ker'rat. But yes, there is no fun in getting curbstomped.

Right now, STO's PvP needs a massive overhaul, else its going to be like Shanty Town.