Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I think there's going to be some people who are going to react to this as "off with his head!", but personally, I like the idea that Klingons are PvP oriented, however, I don't like the lack of skill points, maps, objectives, etc. for PvP on our side. I think that instead of adding new PvE we should make PvP a blast and focus on adding more exclusive Klingon PvP maps, objectives (something other than C&H, Arena, and assault: War zones don't count, nobody likes those lmao).

When I first made my KDF toon I was almost immediately bored, the only thing that got me to get him to commander was merely the fact that i love Klingons and BoP - The BoP is one of my favorite ships in sci-fi history.

Once I hit Commander and started to come in terms that KDF is PvP driven I started to feel like Kevin costner from Dances with Wolves. Leveling up as a Klingon hardened me as a STO player in general, once I hit LG and went into PvP at max level for the first time since I played my Fed Tac I felt like I've been through STO PvP boot camp. I'm a much better PvPer and have come to appreciate it more since I leveled my Klink. We win most pvp matches at end game not because we have cloaks or anything, but because we're just that awesome, we have the experience and learned a lot from fellow players from leveling a Klink.

I'm not an uber awesome PvPer compared to most KDF players, but I've never been able to take down a Fed 1v1 so easily since I've leveled a Klink. I've never been ganged up on before in PvP, but in KDF I notice players go out of their way to try to take me down and while it kinda sucks, it feels good to know for once I'm a threat in PvP and that's because of the awesome KDF community and the way we leveled.

So can we as the KDF community accept that we are PvP driven and rather than proposing new PvE missions, try to improve what we are known for and help us become better pvpers?

I don't want to become as mushy as the Feds, there's even a screwed up part of my brain that likes the idea that we have a lot less content and as immature and melodramatic as it might sound, it makes me further driven to blow up their precious c-store bought ships in PvP. It gives me the fuel to completely obliterate a Galaxy-X or Excelsior and then say "there's your 20 bucks at work".

Lets improve the one thing that toughens us as STO players, PvP content.

Personally I'd like to see some kind of tournament system for the KDF only. i'm not sure exactly how it would work but i think it would be awesome and this is what I have for it.

At the beginning of each rank you will get the tournament mission, but you are only allowed to participate in 1 match per rank. If you win the match then you get bonus SP and unlock the mission for your second match when you hit the next level.

So lets say your Commander 1, you get the mission, queue up (whether it's for space or ground), and lose a match. You get the SP from the mission, but you're locked out from tournament missions until you hit Captain. If you win, once you hit Commander 2 you will get the tournament mission once again and receive a huge SP bonus and the SP boost item.

Since only players who won at Commander 1 can unlock the mission at Commander 2, then it would only pit the winners against other winners. If you win all 10 matches throughout your rank, your last one will grant a massive SP bonus, a SP boost, and a special item for your next rank (In this example, it would be like a purple MK VIII Covariant shield.) You would be able to queue up on space or ground maps just like any other pvp missions, but the matches would only be 1v1 so you would be able to get a match rather quickly.

My second idea would be almost like a PvE mission inside a PvP queue and would include both Feds and Klingons.

I don't know exactly what the mission would be but this idea is inspired by ST: III, and it would require both space and ground maps. The goal could be something like trying to reach a neutral space station that's been working on some sort of device that could be used as a weapon (similar to genesis I suppose) and you wouold have to get one of your team mates beamed down to the station all while trying to fight off the Feds (and they would be trying to do the same). You get down to the station and you have to talk to a scientist before the Feds do, if you reach him first, finish the dialogue, you get to kill him. If the Feds can keep the scientist from getting hit for a duration of time the scientist turns back into an interactive NPC and they can talk to him.

As a Fed: If you finish the dialogue with the scientist he helps you proceed into a lab and opens the security door for you to go in, obtain the device and beam up to the ship.

As a Klink: If you kill him you get a drop with the access code to the lab.

Once either faction makes it in you can interact with the device and beam it up to the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2011, 01:00 AM
I want more KDF missions. So... no might be an answer. But I think that it would help the KDF community a lot as well if the PvP related content was better, if there were more ways to level with it, if what we could do would be more interesting and varied then what exists now. Any boost to PvP is a boost to the KDF as well. Unfortunately, PvP has gotten far less then the KDF since launch.

But there are KDF fans out there that are not really interested in PvP. They will need their story content as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I get what you're going at, Geoff. I'd like to see the KDF maintain a strong PvP focus as well - in no small part because I got into PvP in the first place because I wanted to play a Klingon, and I've been loving it ever since. My pipe-dream is to see a system similar to "Pirates of the Burning Sea," but where you have to complete PvE objectives to open up a piece of territory (like a star system). Ownership of the territory is then resolved in a drawn-out PvP campaign (or maybe just a big huge battle royale). Unfortunately, I don't think it'll happen.

That said, I'd have to say "no" to the ideas you proposed, as written. The first wouldn't provide much extra PvP (one round per rank is a loooonnng time to wait), and it'd permanently knock out exactly half the people involved at each rank. I don't see the overall "win" for the KDF, or for PvP in general.

The second is kind of already what we have with places like Ker'rat and Otho - i.e., PvE objectives in a PvP map. You provide a different scenario, but the basic idea is the same.

Ideally, I'd like to see Klingon PvE designed such that it encourages people to PvP, but, aside from the PotBS-like scheme I mentioned above, I'm not sure how that could be done.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-27-2011, 10:40 AM
The Klingon PVE missions they created were pretty darn good. I'd have to say I want more of those. There's so much story potential available with the Klingon empire.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-27-2011, 11:02 AM
There is so much unused potential for PVE content o the KDF side.
I also PvP occasionally and dislike it as primary source for leveling as it forces a one way approach on the players.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
So can we as the KDF community accept that we are PvP driven and rather than proposing new PvE missions, try to improve what we are known for and help us become better pvpers?
No, because the only reason the KDF was set-up as PvP oriented in the first place was because the devs didn't have enough time to set the faction up as they originally intended, which was a complete and normal faction full of both PvE and PvP. Had they not added KDF as they did they would have lost a lot more customers. As it is, they lost most of the KDF fans they had during beta, because of this decision to implement the KDF as a PvP focused faction. Some stuck around due to the promises to bring the KDF up to par on the PvE side, but with every new season and broken or only partially (less than half) fulfilled promised, they've continued to drive more KDF fans away.

Sure, PvP can be a lot of fun, but if you look at the history of all MMOs that have PvP, most of the players only play the PvE portions of them. Even when you look at a game like Eve that is focused primarily on PvP, there are still a large number of folks that stay out of the PvP areas. Speaking of Eve, if you compare the number of players to a game like EQ where PvP is only a small part of the game, you'll see that this PvP focused game has a lot smaller player-base, because most players don't want PvP to be their primary focus.

Do we need to beef up the PvP aspect of STO? Yes.
Will focusing the KDF even more on PvP bring more players? No, it will likely have the opposite effect and drive even more away.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-27-2011, 05:22 PM
When it comes to Mission-content, i believe when the foundry is FINALLY released we will have enough there IF the foundry missions will be rewardet good enough... and IF we continue to get the weekly missions, too.

In my opinion the lack of "stuff"additions like uniforms, ship skinns ect is the bigger problem, also things like the fact that the klingon exploration missions wich are already there get much less love then the fed counterparts, considering bugs ect.

And pvp need to improved anyway for both factions... obviosly, since they need the same pvp content if they want to fight each other.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
When it comes to Mission-content, i believe when the foundry is FINALLY released we will have enough there IF the foundry missions will be rewardet good enough... and IF we continue to get the weekly missions, too.
Unfortunately, the Foundry's missions aren't allowed to have a completion reward of any kind attached. So no Skill Points, Energy Credits, Bridge Officer Points, Honor/Merits, Items, etc. This makes playing them not better than just grinding the Unknown Systems in the Exploration sectors, DSE's, Khaless Expanse/Nebulae, without having the mission that send you to these locations, because all you will receive is whatever you get from the kills themselves based on your difficulty slider setting, plus whatever story is written to go with the UGC. When you add in the extra time it'll take to go through the story just to earn the pittances we receive per kill, this will actually be a slower grind than the locations I've already mentioned. This is why the Foundry will not help fill those gaps the way the devs are counting on. I fear this misconception on the part of the devs will only be used as yet another excuse to not finish the KDF like they've been promising for over a year.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
No.

We were told; "Two full factions. Full PvE content."

Dan Stahl let slip in his interview with Computer Ed that full Klingon PvE content was always the plan. But when they came up against a hard deadline they had to cut something, so they cut Klingon PvE content.

"Klingons are PvP oriented" makes better PR than, "We ran out of time so we didn't make any PvE missions for Klingons." It's still a lie though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthar
Unfortunately, the Foundry's missions aren't allowed to have a completion reward of any kind attached. So no Skill Points, Energy Credits, Bridge Officer Points, Honor/Merits, Items, etc. This makes playing them not better than just grinding...
Actually I think it makes Foundry missions better than grinding explore missions.

First because characters level up too fast for my taste in STO anyway, and secondly because Klingon content in the Foundry will almost certainly have more interesting stories and missions than that lame explore grind junk.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I actually bought this game to begin with because I heard the Klingons were a playable race with PVE content. Not that they were pvp only. Gotta vote no for the OP. I want more pve content. We've gotten a lot more since launch, I say lets keep that trend going.