Lt. Commander
# 1 April Whine : Territory Control
03-28-2011, 09:26 AM
I have had this idea in my head for months now that I just can't shake: It is my idea for PVP territory control.

Usually monthly I write out a long schtick that gets ignored about gripes I have about the game. This month I decided to be proactive.

Now, this may seem seems alot like DOAC and Warhammer, but not.

Let's say there are 4 instanced territories in game. 2 are always going to be KDF and 2 are always going to be fed, it doesn't matter who 'controls it'.
These 4 instances are space stations in the Neutral Zone (basically 2 instances are allowed for each faction) .

If you die, you respawn outside the map at each side of the neutral zones pvp station (granalda and K7 or something like that).
Lets say for examples sake that the feds control this territory and the kdf are trying to control it.

Here is the setup.

1 Space Station surrounded by
3 Battlestations surrounded by
5 sensors (from the traalis system) surrounded by
-turrets and pve ships (# depends on how many defending vs how many are attacking)

Stage 1) Disarm Battlestations.
Space Station (unattackable) just FAW fires phasers and photons confidently and randomly (because it has 3 battlestations protecting it)
the 3 Battlestations (attackable and just in range of the edge of the space stations) focus fires and one hits
Right outside the range each battlestation is 5 sensors that are protected by NPC ships (they saw you coming) .
You need to destroy the pve ships AND reprogram the 5 sensors.
If the kdf reprogram the sensor but not the PVE ships (kiting), in a short amount of time the PVE Ships reprogram it back. (lets say 5 minutes)
If the KDF reprogram the sensors and destroy the PVE ships, it takes 15 minutes (up for testing) to spawn the ships and when the ships spawn another 5 minutes to spawn a sensor
The more sensors you reprogram, the less damage the battlestation does (instead of one hitting, it will take 5 hits, for example).
Whether you reprogram none or 5 of the battlestations sensors, the battlestation is disarmable, just not as hard.
Once disarmed, the battlestation takes 30 minutes to fix and is unattackable.
Rinse/repeat for the other 2.

The defenders, who know time in on their side, just need to slow down the attackers or pull them to the battlestations.
The attackers, if there is alot of them, could just rush the battlestations but take alot of losses.

When all battlestations are destroyed, it may be easier to simply reset the instance Kerrat style and have the Space Station surrounded by Battlestations.

Stage 2) Capture the station.
Defenders spawn at the Space Station.
Attackers spawn at the "fleet"

Station weapon platform are attackable and there are more FAW attacks. SS attacks are not powerfull as Battlestations on a single target but very high AOE Damage so you have to stay away from fellow attackers. The station single ship attacks are going to be "target engines" attacks.
Destroy the stations weapon platforms and turrets (# depends on how many defender/offenders there are....i don't know if this is possible), and are respawnable after a few minutes

Space station surrounded by disabled battlestations
Offensive Fleet 40 KM away in a line of lets say 10 ships stretching over 10 km and are slowly moving closer to the Space station and will eventually hit it and take over the station by itself in 50 minutes.
You need to travel from the offensive fleet to the space station and back again sending shock troops to the space station.
When at the Fleet and the Spacestation you can't be attacked when transporting troops or the 'transportation' needs to be retried. You should attack the weapon platforms but PVP ships won't be as accomodating.

You have an hour to get...lets say 20 of these trips done.
Defenders can either slow you down and wait out the hour or destroy your pve Fleet.
Offenders can either defend the fleet, or help transport the troops (but not both, that would be silly).

Either way, if the fleet gets destroyed or the space station gets conqered the instance resets to stage 1 in an hour.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 2 is hard. 20 attackers VS 20 defenders is impossible. You will needs at least 1/3 more attackers than defenders. (some defend the fleet)
If attackers get to stage 2 and find out that it is 40 defenders against their 20, leave and go to another of the 3 territories. The defenders will take a while to find out where you went to.
There could be a Stage 1 1 hour buff for attackers if they make it past stage one (as opposed to just showing up in stage 2).

Attackers: For each territory you capture, you get a 24 hr Attacker buff (game server 24 hr not log in 24 hr) so, theoretically, after you take one, it would be easier to take the 2nd. Of course, there should be more defenders (because there are less stations to defend).

Defenders: If you defend for an hour (in combat or not all you have to do is stay in your faction territory for an hour) you get a 1 hour buff (i guess the same Stage 1 buff)

"Stupid idea. Alot of PVE stuff to do". Well, it is an idea. You think of a better one. I just had to 'get it out'.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I was actually looking for a more in depth system where theres a large warzone engulfing the neautral zone. 1 instance, 50+ ships per side, open to all levels, where the fleets try to capture planets w/ PC and NPC defenders, destroy/capture stations w/ PC and NPC defenders, and take out supply convoys.

You would enter this VERY LARGE zone at Genalda(spelled right?) and K7. The distance between them being about 5 minutes flight time in a VA ship w/ MK XI engines. In between theres stations, convoys, planets w/ capturable interiors, and enemy fleets of NPC and PC fleets.

I liked the persistant PvP zone in WoW that gave a buff to the winning side. I think a simlar thing could be good here.

PvE objectives could also be involved, like scouting missions, where you run in, and run out, returning to your respective base w/ the mission. Taking out NPC convoys for anomolies.

The scouting would give a new use to shuttles, if we can give them a way to be a little faster at regular speeds (if they aren't already)

An interesting Idea is that, given a larger zone size, and the 3D nature of STO's combat, we could put in some fleet SB's in this zone. Destroyable/disableable.

Another, similar zone could be made in the Pi Canis (I believe) sector block. I haven't figured out a good starting point for that area, due to just thinking of it.

In short, we could have a large zone that operates on streaming content to have a perpetual and persistant enviroment in a constant state of flux. This would be seperate from the sector blocks, which could then be thought to represent the "average" boundary between the 2 powers. The status of the zone could be displayed in the PvP queue.

What you guys think? Maybe I should make my own thread on this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
zomg cyno trap!

sorry, i had to

territory control would be ace in STO.. but it needs to be BIG.. not just a couple maps.. like a whole neutral zone filled with systems we can conquer, so you can have large engagements, small engagements, etc.

also there has to be some benefit to holding control over territory.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Jones
zomg cyno trap!

sorry, i had to

territory control would be ace in STO.. but it needs to be BIG.. not just a couple maps.. like a whole neutral zone filled with systems we can conquer, so you can have large engagements, small engagements, etc.

also there has to be some benefit to holding control over territory.
Thats what my post was all about
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I like everyone's ideas so far, and I agree that territory control should be a massive warzone...

But how would we actually go about "capturing" certain areas? If one side wins a warzone instance, part of a sector block turns red/blue? It would be an awesome way to finally allow Klingons access to the Sirius/Regulus sector blocks and Feds to finally see Omega Leonis.

There would have to be certain restrictions on the warzone, though...while I like the idea of allowing all levels in the warzone, a VA shouldn't be able to pick on a LT, so perhaps it should be restricted so that you can only attack others who are within 10 grades of yours.

I've posted my idea before: Make the warzone have massive NPC fleets at either side. Similar to the Kessel system in SWG, which had a star destroyer and corellian corvette that you could destroy. Have a Jupiter dreadnought and a Vo'quv at either side that are fleet flagships, surrounded by a huge armada of NPC ships. Players spawn here and must work together to destroy the other armada to win the war zone, with stations or moons in between to capture as unlockable spawn points.

Something to that effect.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I would be much more inclined to PvP if the PvP were meaningful.

As it stands right now, the PvP in game is not meaningful and bores me to tears.

Terrirtory control and an active warzone? That would rock, hard, and I could get behind that.

But PvP in a shoebox that is nothing but an arena full of people shooting at the weakest ship?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..................
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluerockBeing04 View Post
I like everyone's ideas so far, and I agree that territory control should be a massive warzone...

But how would we actually go about "capturing" certain areas? If one side wins a warzone instance, part of a sector block turns red/blue? It would be an awesome way to finally allow Klingons access to the Sirius/Regulus sector blocks and Feds to finally see Omega Leonis.
In my idea, the sector block map would never change. The warzone map would change based upon the predominance of either factions resources. Planets would reflect the color of their controlling faction. So if you capture a planet as a fed, the zone map would reflect it by turning the planets icon blue. In order to capture a planet, your team must eliminate all NPC defenders, and possibly drive the PC's out. The PC part I'm not really sire about.

In PotBS you have to kill the port commander. Maybe a similar thing. A powerful NPC defended by a small army.

Reinforcements could be brought to the fight also, in a more complicated system, by having a portion of each new PC's crew becoming part of the offensive/defensive army.

I think to an extent the planets could be somewhat long and drawn out, but not to a ridiculous extent. But by haveing the planet instance, and the warzone instance linked, a fleet of ships in orbit could stop reinforcements. Or slow the rate at which they appear.

I think if you were to die in your ship you should respawn at the nearest friendly station/planet. that way its not just a zerg fest. If you die during planet conquest, you get a set limit of respawns and then your removed from the conquest and respawn at the nearest friendly station/planet. You can rejoin the fight, sure, but it will take you a small flight there.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
I have had this idea in my head for months now that I just can't shake: It is my idea for PVP territory control.

Usually monthly I write out a long schtick that gets ignored about gripes I have about the game. This month I decided to be proactive.

Now, this may seem seems alot like DOAC and Warhammer, but not.

Let's say there are 4 instanced territories in game. 2 are always going to be KDF and 2 are always going to be fed, it doesn't matter who 'controls it'.
These 4 instances are space stations in the Neutral Zone (basically 2 instances are allowed for each faction) .

If you die, you respawn outside the map at each side of the neutral zones pvp station (granalda and K7 or something like that).
Lets say for examples sake that the feds control this territory and the kdf are trying to control it.

Here is the setup.

1 Space Station surrounded by
3 Battlestations surrounded by
5 sensors (from the traalis system) surrounded by
-turrets and pve ships (# depends on how many defending vs how many are attacking)

Stage 1) Disarm Battlestations.
Space Station (unattackable) just FAW fires phasers and photons confidently and randomly (because it has 3 battlestations protecting it)
the 3 Battlestations (attackable and just in range of the edge of the space stations) focus fires and one hits
Right outside the range each battlestation is 5 sensors that are protected by NPC ships (they saw you coming) .
You need to destroy the pve ships AND reprogram the 5 sensors.
If the kdf reprogram the sensor but not the PVE ships (kiting), in a short amount of time the PVE Ships reprogram it back. (lets say 5 minutes)
If the KDF reprogram the sensors and destroy the PVE ships, it takes 15 minutes (up for testing) to spawn the ships and when the ships spawn another 5 minutes to spawn a sensor
The more sensors you reprogram, the less damage the battlestation does (instead of one hitting, it will take 5 hits, for example).
Whether you reprogram none or 5 of the battlestations sensors, the battlestation is disarmable, just not as hard.
Once disarmed, the battlestation takes 30 minutes to fix and is unattackable.
Rinse/repeat for the other 2.

The defenders, who know time in on their side, just need to slow down the attackers or pull them to the battlestations.
The attackers, if there is alot of them, could just rush the battlestations but take alot of losses.

When all battlestations are destroyed, it may be easier to simply reset the instance Kerrat style and have the Space Station surrounded by Battlestations.

Stage 2) Capture the station.
Defenders spawn at the Space Station.
Attackers spawn at the "fleet"

Station weapon platform are attackable and there are more FAW attacks. SS attacks are not powerfull as Battlestations on a single target but very high AOE Damage so you have to stay away from fellow attackers. The station single ship attacks are going to be "target engines" attacks.
Destroy the stations weapon platforms and turrets (# depends on how many defender/offenders there are....i don't know if this is possible), and are respawnable after a few minutes

Space station surrounded by disabled battlestations
Offensive Fleet 40 KM away in a line of lets say 10 ships stretching over 10 km and are slowly moving closer to the Space station and will eventually hit it and take over the station by itself in 50 minutes.
You need to travel from the offensive fleet to the space station and back again sending shock troops to the space station.
When at the Fleet and the Spacestation you can't be attacked when transporting troops or the 'transportation' needs to be retried. You should attack the weapon platforms but PVP ships won't be as accomodating.

You have an hour to get...lets say 20 of these trips done.
Defenders can either slow you down and wait out the hour or destroy your pve Fleet.
Offenders can either defend the fleet, or help transport the troops (but not both, that would be silly).

Either way, if the fleet gets destroyed or the space station gets conqered the instance resets to stage 1 in an hour.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 2 is hard. 20 attackers VS 20 defenders is impossible. You will needs at least 1/3 more attackers than defenders. (some defend the fleet)
If attackers get to stage 2 and find out that it is 40 defenders against their 20, leave and go to another of the 3 territories. The defenders will take a while to find out where you went to.
There could be a Stage 1 1 hour buff for attackers if they make it past stage one (as opposed to just showing up in stage 2).

Attackers: For each territory you capture, you get a 24 hr Attacker buff (game server 24 hr not log in 24 hr) so, theoretically, after you take one, it would be easier to take the 2nd. Of course, there should be more defenders (because there are less stations to defend).

Defenders: If you defend for an hour (in combat or not all you have to do is stay in your faction territory for an hour) you get a 1 hour buff (i guess the same Stage 1 buff)

"Stupid idea. Alot of PVE stuff to do". Well, it is an idea. You think of a better one. I just had to 'get it out'.
/signed

/10chars
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
anyone interseted in this topic needs to try the browser based game battlestar galactica online.

It has a very simple yet effective territory control system that would be a great foundation for STO

basically there are a series of systems (much like the ones we have now, but with larger player counts possible)

each system is full of asteroids to be mined and npcs to kill,

each system has large captial ships for each side at either end.

players battle one another to force the enemey capital ship to retreat and thus claim the system.

while all this is going on other players harvest and mine asteroids or kill npcs for resources to upgrade ships and skills.

the beauty od the system is that you need to travel in jumps from one system to another, so that there are always 4 to 5 front lines where system control is pushing back and forth.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-29-2011, 12:04 AM
I too would welcome and have also created a means of how or should a territory system layout should go. It is in my signature.
Closed Thread