Lt. Commander
Whilst crytic have said that from time to time they may need to wipe the published missions for technical reasons, and that authors would need to republish them, should this be a regular thing. (Note for anybody that does not know, this does not mean the mission is deleted, you just need to press the republish button)

My thinking behind this is that there are many missions that are just test missions, or grind missions or stuff that people have put up simply to clog up the system. Those missions do not need to be there all the time and many people will just forget to take them down or just cant be bothered to take them down. Basically they could stay there for months/years doing nothing but filling up the lists.

A periodic wipe would clean the system out every month or two and would probably only have the main authors republish who care about their missions would republish.

The downside is that people would have to manually republish them every month or two which would be annoying all of the time, and I guess some people might make an awesome mission then leave the game for a while or for ever and their mission would be taken off and never get republished.

Another option would be to unpublished any mission with an average rating of less than 3 stars. (Un-rated or less than 5 player rated missions missions would not be wiped as they have not had a chance to get past the review stage.)

What do people think, or does anybody have a better idea.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2011, 06:50 AM
I think there has to be some kind of housecleaning that takes place. Establishing the appropriate parameters is the hard part.

I would be comfortable with them "de-publishing" a mission that is over 30 days old, has fewer than 50 play throughs and an average rating of 3-stars or less.

However, I'd also like to see a better classification of the mission list. There definitely needs to be some categories established to make finding missions easier. At minimum it would be nice to see categories for missions primarily focused on story, combat, and testing.

I would also like to see the option to privately "publish" a mission where it would not show up in the list unless you searched for the exact mission ID number.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-07-2011, 07:25 AM
I'd be fine with a process that deactivated missions that no one played (or more accurately, no one finished, for 30-60 days. That means if you publish your mission, and there's a big rush to play it at first, but a couple of months later, no one's even trying to complete the mission.. either not even trying it, or aborting because it's not fun/too boring/too hard.. it's time to take that mission offline and make some improvements to it's appeal/playability.

That would also be a great way for the system to clear all the "test" missions from the list. "you appear in a hallway, there's klingons, get to other end of hallway"...

Maybe it could be based on a little more than completing the mission, perhaps it could be based on a percentage of people who attempt the mission, completing it. There's always gonna be one person who just bores through hoping the mission will get better once they reach objective 1.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Sounds good to me. I don't mind republishing every month or so. It's just a click of a button. As long as we are given advanced notice. It may also serve as a reminder to go back in and update a mission or change it before republishing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
It sure would stink if they did this and then an author of a really good mission left the game, taking that mission away forever.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I adhere to the "keep it simple, stupid" philosophy.

Wipe everything. The good authors will inevitably publish again, and the admins can go back to handling the other 100lbs of tasks they have stuffed in their 50lb bag.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
I think there has to be some kind of housecleaning that takes place. Establishing the appropriate parameters is the hard part.

I would be comfortable with them "de-publishing" a mission that is over 30 days old, has fewer than 50 play throughs and an average rating of 3-stars or less.

However, I'd also like to see a better classification of the mission list. There definitely needs to be some categories established to make finding missions easier. At minimum it would be nice to see categories for missions primarily focused on story, combat, and testing.

I would also like to see the option to privately "publish" a mission where it would not show up in the list unless you searched for the exact mission ID number.
I like all of those ideas.

Especially the classification system. I'd like to be able to separate the grind, story, etc types.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I am going to have to say NO on published missions that have made it to LIVE. Those in the pre-release review que should probably be deleted after a couple of months IF they have a low or no rating. The problem is, reviewers and review time in that pre-release que. I do not expect there to be a shorting of that time and in fact see that time to actual go up eventually as reviewers stop reviewing.

Missions on LIVE that have passed the review process previously should not be subject to removal UNLESS there is some glaring reason like being broken or having slipped through the pre-review process and having exploits.