Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 STO - Almost a World Class MMO
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Alright, I'm being polite. And I'll tell you why.

THIS IS WHAT STO HAS DONE RIGHT.

-The space combat is fantastic.
-Character customization is fantastic. The CGI chicks especially are nice.
-Graphics are fantastic.
-Ship effects for different equipment/gear are fantastic.
-Bridge officer powers are fantastic.
-The number of the different ship weapons, configurations, and customization options is so mind-boggling it's fantastic. Way beyond what I could have expected. Better than WoW by far.
-Ship abilities and combinations- fantastic. Way beyond anything I expected.
-Possible space game mechanics - fantastic. You can specialize as a stand alone ship or a support ship, even in AoE crowd control/damage if you choose.
-The crafting is shaping up to be fantastic, especially if there are rare schematics out there.
-The sci ship and its abilities are way beyond anything I could have hoped for.

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

-The Earth Space Dock needs to be re-designed. As the first base you see, it's horribly underwhelming, simplistic, and downright cheap looking. In a universe as fantastic as Star Trek, it seems something far better could be designed. How about a ring with a transparent window band inside and outside so you can see different ships docking and leaving, NPC and player, in the interior?

-The missions are horribly boring and repetitive. It's a grind, way worse than WoW. Yes, leveling is pretty fast on Elite, but very boring. Even space combat could use some cut scenes and multiple stages with different objectives/difficulties.

There's virtually no story. Maybe this gets better in end game, but this should immerse you from the very beginning.

There should be unique missions/quests for each profession - science officer, engineer, etc., so you feel like your profession is worth something (aside from being able to train Level III powers at end game). There's no joy to being a science officer versus an engineer because everything is the same.

Each mission should be multi-layered with an evolving story.

There should be cut scenes. There are so many wonderful things you could do here, for example with the Pharengi given their trickery and greed. Even WoW has so many humorous/tongue in cheek quests you can't help but be entertained once in a while. How about some cut scenes with reaction shots from your officers after some missions, so you feel like they're real people and have a story line too. I'm thinking Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi here and how it felt you were part of a great movie, which was real. THERE'S NO STORY.

The flight between planets still seems fake. Maybe the stars should move differently as you turn the ship, so it feels 3 dimensional, not like some weird 2D overlay. I know Cryptic has cleaned up the clutter, but there's still too much and IT FEELS TOO TACTICAL. Make it realistic. Have use pass some asteroids, nebulas, so it doesn't look so video gamy and tactical. How about planetary statistics before you go on away missions, so you have to bring different types of gear? It seems this game was very hastily put together. There should be a way to dismiss the annoying planetary/contact pop-up screens if it's not your destination of choice. They block the view.

In ground away missions, you should have some control over your Bridge Officers' power, so you can play strategically and get the economies of scale from those powers and use the way they were intended. Otherwise, it's a crazy free for all and all the BOffs seem to use their power always in the wrong time, without any coordination that would actually make them more effective.

There should be an XP/leveling bonus, say 15% to 25%, for doing away/space missions with real people as opposed to a computer.

-The anomy scanning is horrible boring and repetitive. Can't we get different icons/sprites, even random ones, for the anomalies in space to make it looks more interesting and even exciting that you might get some rare anomaly? The waveform matching is also horribly boring and repetitive. It seems it would not be that hard, expensive, or time consuming to add some different types of puzzles, or even multi-step harder ones for the rarer anomalies. Again, why the cookie cutter nonsense?

-The designs of many of the interior away missions are also highly underwhelming and again seem hastily put together. There's very little artistry and variety.

-The number and quality of the alien species also seems highly underwhelming. The Caitians and the felinoids are not that exciting. Again, I don't see why you have to be limited to the movies/episodes here. After all, we've only seen a small fraction. It seems you could spice this universe up in a jiffy with some insecticide, lupine, tiger, or other types of "cooler" looking races.

-The bluish border on most of the interface screens appears cheap. I think a TNG style color scheme would be better. That was the high point of the universe (IMO at least).

Just my 2 cents.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Dear poster, we regret to inform you that you have exceded your daily usage limit of the word fantastic. Please report to the nearest available Agony Booth for debriefing(*).












* debriefing in this context is meant to describe a process that is designed to break you mentally and physically for the amusement of bystanders
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
* debriefing in this context is meant to describe a process that is designed to break you mentally and physically for the amusement of bystanders
Sounds fantastic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Not as a nitpick, but have you gotten your character to Lt. Commander 8 (or is it Commander 1, I forget)? The Romulan series starting with Mine Enemy has the cut scenes and voice over you are looking for.

A for ESD, I think it is just fine. I use it as a place to trade items on the Exchange and to store particularly neat looking items in my bank. It doesn't need have an overly complex map, just the basics for character management. I am all for adding areas on an upper or lower station level for more mission and player intereactions, but the main area should be focused more for utility and function over graphics.

I do hope that most of your suggestions are implemented in some way. While I don't need many of them to improve my expeience, I'm sure there are other players who would appreciate those changes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
-The Earth Space Dock needs to be re-designed. As the first base you see, it's horribly underwhelming, simplistic, and downright cheap looking. In a universe as fantastic as Star Trek, it seems something far better could be designed. How about a ring with a transparent window band inside and outside so you can see different ships docking and leaving, NPC and player, in the interior?
The Devs have already said that this would be difficult as it would require merging the outside zone of ESD and interior to be able to do this. Given that they’re concentrating on ground combat & other season 4 things I think this is unlikely in the long term...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
-The missions are horribly boring and repetitive. It's a grind, way worse than WoW. Yes, leveling is pretty fast on Elite, but very boring. Even space combat could use some cut scenes and multiple stages with different objectives/difficulties.
Have you tried the Remastered Azura. Have you tried this latest featured series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
There's virtually no story. Maybe this gets better in end game, but this should immerse you from the very beginning.
There are actually quite a few stories if you bothered to read dialogue. From lvls 1-21 there’s the klingon story arc in which all the stories flow together, followed by the romulan arc, then cardassian arc and finally the Borg/Undine arc. AND THEN you have the fantastic featured episodes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
There should be unique missions/quests for each profession - science officer, engineer, etc., so you feel like your profession is worth something (aside from being able to train Level III powers at end game). There's no joy to being a science officer versus an engineer because everything is the same.
*points to remastered Azura and latest feature series*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
Each mission should be multi-layered with an evolving story.
*points to latest feature series and story arcs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
There should be cut scenes. There are so many wonderful things you could do here, for example with the Pharengi given their trickery and greed. Even WoW has so many humorous/tongue in cheek quests you can't help but be entertained once in a while. How about some cut scenes with reaction shots from your officers after some missions, so you feel like they're real people and have a story line too. I'm thinking Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi here and how it felt you were part of a great movie, which was real. THERE'S NO STORY.
*Points to featured episodes & remastered episodes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
The flight between planets still seems fake. Maybe the stars should move differently as you turn the ship, so it feels 3 dimensional, not like some weird 2D overlay. I know Cryptic has cleaned up the clutter, but there's still too much and IT FEELS TOO TACTICAL. Make it realistic. Have use pass some asteroids, nebulas, so it doesn't look so video gamy and tactical. How about planetary statistics before you go on away missions, so you have to bring different types of gear? It seems this game was very hastily put together. There should be a way to dismiss the annoying planetary/contact pop-up screens if it's not your destination of choice. They block the view.
Have you tried clicking the arrow just below the dialogue, also is astrometrics off? That was one of the main things in season 3, the ability to turn off the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
In ground away missions, you should have some control over your Bridge Officers' power, so you can play strategically and get the economies of scale from those powers and use the way they were intended. Otherwise, it's a crazy free for all and all the BOffs seem to use their power always in the wrong time, without any coordination that would actually make them more effective.
you can. you can pause time & set targets/set points for BOffs to be stationed. If it also means that much to you, you can set off the powers manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
There should be an XP/leveling bonus, say 15% to 25%, for doing away/space missions with real people as opposed to a computer.
You may not notice it, but there is... with bigger groups, there are more people spawned in the mob, and also harder ships... these therefore give more XP for killing a mob teamed than solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
-The anomy scanning is horrible boring and repetitive. Can't we get different icons/sprites, even random ones, for the anomalies in space to make it looks more interesting and even exciting that you might get some rare anomaly? The waveform matching is also horribly boring and repetitive. It seems it would not be that hard, expensive, or time consuming to add some different types of puzzles, or even multi-step harder ones for the rarer anomalies. Again, why the cookie cutter nonsense?
OK this contains multiple points:
1. you can quit the scanning by pressing F or quitting
2. it is actually quite time consuming as mechanics have to be added & coded & tested & bugfixed.
3. Cookies are nice. Don’t diss Cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
-The designs of many of the interior away missions are also highly underwhelming and again seem hastily put together. There's very little artistry and variety.
This sounds as though you are playing the earliest missions and have not got onto more endgame stuff/featured episodes. In the beginning stuff, that’s what they put together when they were learning how to use the toolset so now Gozer is going back over them and remastering them with cutscenes & bringing them up to (and over IMO) the bar with the Featured episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
-The number and quality of the alien species also seems highly underwhelming. The Caitians and the felinoids are not that exciting. Again, I don't see why you have to be limited to the movies/episodes here. After all, we've only seen a small fraction. It seems you could spice this universe up in a jiffy with some insecticide, lupine, tiger, or other types of "cooler" looking races.
The question you have to ask here is:
Is it worth the resources?
As if an insectoid was created, it would have to have costume pieces especially for it, including weapons etc. taking up hours that could be made for making more useful things, and with the number of races currently ingame, the player share would probably be so low that it wouldn’t be worth the hours put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonelivesforever
-The bluish border on most of the interface screens appears cheap. I think a TNG style color scheme would be better. That was the high point of the universe (IMO at least).
I like the border, IMO it looks better than TNG as with the TNG style LCARS there was just a mishmash of colours that probably would look quite dated in game. If you want there are some mods out there (probably) that change it...

Yours,
~Nean
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Pharengi?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zshack View Post
Pharengi?
Now now, let's not take the mickey out of the Lysdexics, he Obviously means Ferengi.

Mock not the typo, for some day, you may be the mocked!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-17-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreYeager
Mock not the typo, for some day, you may be the mocked!
Why would I not want to be mocked for an ypto? That way, we all get to have fun!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Why would I not want to be mocked for an ypto? That way, we all get to have fun!
I <3 RidrumMustcully!

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 PM.