Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Another Star Trek MMO in 2011
04-17-2011, 10:34 AM
There is a browser based Star Trek mmo in development by the name of Star Trek Infinite Space to be released this year. I am shocked CBS would licence another mmo under the same ip simultaneously. I think this proves that Cryptic has completely failed at delivering a worth while Star Trek MMO gaming experience. So when not if Cryptic fails to deliver all the recent promises I at least know what I'll be playing.

On a related note I wont be buying anything from the C-store until its clear this will be the better game and I implore all of you to do the same.

Currently this "game" has no endgame and pvp is completely ignored, I wonder if this "game" will be the rp experience and if Star Trek Infinite Space will actually be a game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokikami View Post
There is a browser based Star Trek mmo in development by the name of Star Trek Infinite Space to be released this year. I am shocked CBS would licence another mmo under the same ip simultaneously. I think this proves that Cryptic has completely failed at delivering a worth while Star Trek MMO gaming experience. So when not if Cryptic fails to deliver all the recent promises I at least know what I'll be playing.

On a related note I wont be buying anything from the C-store until its clear this will be the better game and I implore all of you to do the same.

Currently this "game" has no endgame and pvp is completely ignored, I wonder if this "game" will be the rp experience and if Star Trek Infinite Space will actually be a game.
/yawn everyone knows about it already. It is old news. It is a different kind of game, that most people myself included will probably try. Youtube has a gameplay vidieo and it shows the browser limitations clearly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Very old news indeed. STO is an apple. STIS is an orange.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I believe you'll find that "browser based games" can be very limiting. That's the largest reason why development time to launch is very low.

Doubt I'll get into a player protest against the C-Store for the reasons you state here and to be honest, I'm not all that happy with development myself, right now, due to all the NERFS that constantly come out.

While end game is certainly lacking, Cryptic has stated that it is a problem they have seen and are at least talking about ways to "fix" that.

And what exactly can Cryptic do for PVP that's pretty much not been done now? A few new maps? To be honest, the last thing I'm looking at in PVP is the map and we have several to chose from. PVP is player generated content and to be honest, I haven't seen PVP lacking at all in my own gameplay. I PVP when I want. An open PVP zone? A lot of different ideas are swimming around here on that one. Some of the hardcore PVP players want something that flags ev1 PVP. We already have that in Eta. Enter the instance and your flagged. I doubt that Cryptic will put in anything "new" that players could use for "griefing" people that don't have many intentions of PVP gameplay as it should be. Griefing doesn't add to PVP, it detracts from it as that player who is griefed will probably NEVER try PVP as serious gameplay for themselves, at least in my experience..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokikami View Post
I am shocked CBS would licence another mmo under the same ip simultaneously.
I'm shocked that you are shocked that a company would try to squeeze everything possible out of a popular IP like Star Trek. What else are you shocked by? Water being wet? The sky being blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokikami View Post
I think this proves that Cryptic has completely failed at delivering a worth while Star Trek MMO gaming experience.
I think you are wrong and if you look at how Infinite Space plays, they are two completely different types of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokikami View Post
So when not if Cryptic fails to deliver all the recent promises I at least know what I'll be playing.
I think you'll be playing both despite your cries of "DOOOOOOM!" STO isn't going to fold up shop because a browser-based MMO shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokikami View Post
On a related note I wont be buying anything from the C-store until its clear this will be the better game and I implore all of you to do the same.
Why shouldn't we buy something on the C-store if we want it? Oh, because you implored us not to. Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokikami View Post
Currently this "game" has no endgame and pvp is completely ignored, I wonder if this "game" will be the rp experience and if Star Trek Infinite Space will actually be a game.
Have you ever played a browser based game? I hope it is good, I like as much Trek games as possible - but I haven't been too impressed in the past with browser based efforts. I think maybe you are being a little overly dramatic.

I think TOR is likely to be a bigger problem for STO than Infinite Space.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Either way the people at cryptic need to start delivering a game already i have lvled to max a tac, sci and eng on both factions and see no reason to play. PvP is imbalanced and new maps depending on layout and game type could make pvp more engaging and worth while. There is almost no incentive at all to lvl your captains in STO, the user generated content is meaningless as currently there are no rewards. And as I stated above there is no endgame at all, I have a really hard time calling STO a MMORPG at all.

And if STO is an apple then its a very rotted one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokikami View Post
Either way the people at cryptic need to start delivering a game already i have lvled to max a tac, sci and eng on both factions and see no reason to play. PvP is imbalanced and new maps depending on layout and game type could make pvp more engaging and worth while. There is almost no incentive at all to lvl your captains in STO, the user generated content is meaningless as currently there are no rewards. And as I stated above there is no endgame at all, I have a really hard time calling STO a MMORPG at all.

And if STO is an apple then its a very rotted one.
The reward in good UGC is the story, and there are quite a few good ones, and several good multipart ones. but if all you want is a shiny, then I'm sorry for you since you're missing out on some good fun.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Ive tried out the recent BSG browser-base mmo, which is running the exact same 'engine' as the star trek one is going to play

quite impressed actually, fairly pretty, epic 50vs50 pvp with full fighters/frigates/carriers/capital roles for players etc
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikonov
Ive tried out the recent BSG browser-base mmo, which is running the exact same 'engine' as the star trek one is going to play

quite impressed actually, fairly pretty, epic 50vs50 pvp with full fighters/frigates/carriers/capital roles for players etc
Shoosh! We're not supposed to bring facts and experience into the discussion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokikami View Post
Either way the people at cryptic need to start delivering a game already i have lvled to max a tac, sci and eng on both factions and see no reason to play. PvP is imbalanced and new maps depending on layout and game type could make pvp more engaging and worth while. There is almost no incentive at all to lvl your captains in STO, the user generated content is meaningless as currently there are no rewards. And as I stated above there is no endgame at all, I have a really hard time calling STO a MMORPG at all.

And if STO is an apple then its a very rotted one.
If you hate it so, why are you here?
Keep sending money...
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM.