Lt. Commander
The exploration missions were, as far as we know, created with an early version of the Foundry, the Genesis system.

We all know they are bland and often don't even make sense. (Every race weapon's leaves behind anti-proton residue, but we always know which race it was this time. Every race, including the Borg, had a 3rd dynasty. And Tribbles are the worst enemy of the KDF....)
We can do better.

So, as a creative idea - pick yourself one of those missions concepts, and customzie them. Put in the level of detail and complexity you would like to see.

For example, one of those Decalithium Search ground missions with enemy. Add an option to negotiate with the enemy commander. Have the Borg searching for something more sensible then artifacts of their 3rd dynasty.
Have the Romulans leave behind different residue then the Widrab.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-18-2011, 05:02 AM
I had *almost* the same idea... except I was going to start "remastering" the Sector Patrol missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-18-2011, 07:53 AM
I would participate in such a project under two conditions:
  1. Foundry Missions published as Revamped System Patrol cost us no mission slots.

2. Foundry Missions published as Revamped System Patrol actually have their entry doors in Unknown Clusters!
Then I'd put my time into it. Until then, I'd rather focus on stories I want to tell.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Quote:
I would participate in such a project under two conditions:
  1. Foundry Missions published as Revamped System Patrol cost us no mission slots.

2. Foundry Missions published as Revamped System Patrol actually have their entry doors in Unknown Clusters!
Then I'd put my time into it. Until then, I'd rather focus on stories I want to tell.
I thought it more as a "show-off" to tell the Devs how much better things could be. Though I think this could be a good long-term goal. If they want to focus on the "big guns" - e.g. Featured Episodes - and do less of the smaller mission types, then they should support us better in that regard.

For me, the background of these exploration missions (as thin as it is) can serve as inspirational "springboard" for some new mission ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Do you want to combine our ideas on this Ridcully? I was thinking something along the lines of an informal competition to see who can "remaster" the best Patrol the Sector mission. If we make a big enough noise, maybe Cryptic will put them live...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
Do you want to combine our ideas on this Ridcully? I was thinking something along the lines of an informal competition to see who can "remaster" the best Patrol the Sector mission. If we make a big enough noise, maybe Cryptic will put them live...
If combining means we should do both, yes, absolutely.

In an effort to "save" my Foundry mission slots, I'd probably make a series of exploration cluster missions in a row. That gives me what - 10 maps to work with?

I think the future of exploration could include that exploration cluster and patrol missions grow closer together and might actually be the same system in the background...