Lt. Commander
# 1 AArrrghhh!
04-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I swear, this system is as arcane as the Necronomicon. I know WHAT I want to do, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how. I've looked at the tutorials and things, but I find it hard to understand without doing. Failing that, I'm here hoping someone can illuminate me.

The mission is supposed to go like this:

You recieve orders from Admiral T'Nae to go to a system near the Neutral Zone (Sienae). From there, you warp to the opening stanza of the mission.

As you approach the planet, you are confronted by an enemy, who does not attack, but instead talks to you, offering you a choice - leave or be destroyed. He gives you an hour to decide.

You transition to your briefing room where your officers give you information on several topics - the planet, the mission, and the enemy commander.

You return to the system and communicate again. If you leave, the mission ends. If you stay, you fight the enemy ship, plus more that appear behind you.

The main enemy ship should not be destroyed, but should escape.

You now beam down to the surface to meet a contact. Once you meet the contact, you transition to his home where he provides background on the situation.

That's as far as the narrative has gone in my mind. I have to figure out the rest of the story, but I can't even get through these basic openers. Can anyone illuminate me?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Not sure if I fully understand your question, so here is my reply and apology if it is off base.

You cannot make a friendly turn enemy. You can make a Friendly interact with you and have several enemies start hidden.

If the diaglog goes the bad way, then you make the enemies visible.

Then once you've been triggered by the distruction of the last enemy group you can fake the first enemy escaping by doing something like... "Captain, a shuttle has just went to warp that came from the USS LostTheWar, and the first officer of LostTheWar is signaling"....blah..blah.blah the 1st officer surrenders.

Another possibility is to move your dialogue to the briefing room and if it goes bad you chain back to a different space map where the friendly is now an enemy. You cannot stop him (as best as I know) from being killed, but you can still insert a line about "before the ship exploded a shuttle was released and went to warp".

Hope this helps!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2011, 09:46 AM
All of what you just described is doable except having the enemy ship escape before being destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
All of what you just described is doable except having the enemy ship escape before being destroyed.
Please share your wisdom! I've been trying to hid a friendly NPC so I can show an enemy... or... Make a friendly and enemy and have not figured out how.

I'll send ya a some ear rings ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I could have him friendly initially, then hostile on the second map... That would work.

However, he's supposed to escape with his ship intact for future use in the story...

As for the rest, can someone post a step by step explanation of how to accomplish this?
I've figured out the odd thing here and there, but it's like pulling teeth making this work. I guess I'm spoiled by CoH's system, which seemed a LOT easier...
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Mojo, what exactly are you having trouble with here? You've described what you want to do, but not what you can't figure out how to do.

I'd guess that you're getting suck on map transitions. If you haven't seen this, then it may make things much easier for you:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ansitions-101/

Also, if you have specific questions about specific things, then you can get real time answers in the sbugc chat room: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/chat/
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Ok, more detail...

I watched a video (actually, it was THAT video) that allowed me to send the ship to Sienae to enter the mission. So far so good.

I made the system map with a planet and moon. I placed a marker near the planet to allow you to beam down.

However, as you fly toward the planet, I want an NPC ship to decloak and confront you with a dialog. After a chain of conversation, I want it to send you to your briefing lounge to talk to your officers. Once you've spoken to your officers, the enemy can confront you again and you can fight him off.

I can't figure out how to make the dialog pop up when the NPC decloaks while you're en route to the planet; it always pops up as soon as you enter the system.

Getting into the lounge shouldn't be a problem, and I can have the NPC talk to you while you're in the lounge so he can be hostile right away when you reenter the space map (ie, a new space map).
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Alright, I restarted.

I began by choosing Captain Ford in ESD to assign the mission. He sends the player to a system, where they can then enter the mission. All good so far.

Now, I built the system map. The player spawns some distance from the planet, and as he approaches, an enemy will appear in front of him. I set this NPC as the contact for this first part of the mission, so the player will communicate with him.

I have constructed the dialog chain for the conversation, but I don't know how to make it pop up automatically as the player approaches the NPC ship (ie, the NPC hails the player, not vice versa).