Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Combat: less is more
04-23-2011, 10:45 PM
A quick comment on combat, specifically the number of NPCs you fight either on ground or in space. Aside from the obvious implication that our characters are supposed to be some kind of uber hero, it is not realistic that we should be able to defeat entire squadrons of ships or soldiers with our single ship or away team.

If you want to have a big battle, thats fine. But for it to be realistic you have to have friendly NPCs helping the player. If having friendly NPCs helping the player doesnt make sense for the story of the mission, then neither does having a huge battle. As uber as Kirk or Picard were, they never defeated entire armies by themselves.

That is all
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-23-2011, 11:31 PM
I concur...which is why in one of my space battles it is a three-sided conflict. You're not getting mercilessly pounded, and the other two sides duke it out along with you and against you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
A quick comment on combat, specifically the number of NPCs you fight either on ground or in space. Aside from the obvious implication that our characters are supposed to be some kind of uber hero, it is not realistic that we should be able to defeat entire squadrons of ships or soldiers with our single ship or away team.

If you want to have a big battle, thats fine. But for it to be realistic you have to have friendly NPCs helping the player. If having friendly NPCs helping the player doesnt make sense for the story of the mission, then neither does having a huge battle. As uber as Kirk or Picard were, they never defeated entire armies by themselves.

That is all
A quick comment. This is a video game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
A quick comment. This is a video game.
And one that's better with missions that make sense.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
A quick comment. This is a video game.
It most certainly is, as everyone here is well aware. The question is, so you think the game should at least attempt to make sense or not? If not, then we might as well go ahead and introduce the Q faction
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
It most certainly is, as everyone here is well aware. The question is, so you think the game should at least attempt to make sense or not? If not, then we might as well go ahead and introduce the Q faction
Make sense? Interesting. Do transporters make sense? Warp speed? Time travel into the past?

Yes, I know... you mean "within context." But the point is that it's a slippery slope if you are going to start making all encompassing statements and rules regarding all foundry missions. The key is, as always, story and the "suspension of disbelief."

Anyway, I was tired when I posted that, after a long, late night foundry session (I'm probably not the only one around here who knows that feeling ). I misread your post and saw it as a complaint against combat in general. Even now, I don't think that's really too far off from what you are saying.

Where I have the biggest problem is when people say things like "you have to have." If there is one sure way to make a creative writer rebel, it's by laying down the law and making rules. Rules, in the end, are just limitations on the creative process. For example, there are numerous examples of modern writers who deliberately break the rules of grammar. The key here, as it is in creating UGC content, is that if you are going to break the rules, you first have to know what the rules are and then, when you break them, do it very well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
Where I have the biggest problem is when people say things like "you have to have." If there is one sure way to make a creative writer rebel, it's by laying down the law and making rules. Rules, in the end, are just limitations on the creative process. For example, there are numerous examples of modern writers who deliberately break the rules of grammar. The key here, as it is in creating UGC content, is that if you are going to break the rules, you first have to know what the rules are and then, when you break them, do it very well.
You seem to be under the misimpression that I am a Dev or something. I am just a player, giving feedback on my experiences. I have not told anyone they "have to" do anything, and if you disagree with my opinion that is fine. Maybe you could quote the statements you think I made that are telling people what they "have to" do, or "laying down the law and making rules"? Since when is one person giving their opinion "law" or "rules"?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
You seem to be under the misimpression that I am a Dev or something. I am just a player, giving feedback on my experiences.
To be fair: I like many of your articles and they generally result in good discussions.
But to allow myself some criticism:

If you want to sound like: "Just another player", you should consider re-phrasing your wording sometimes?
Both here and on certain other forums?

Note that I wrote: "should consider re-phrasing" not "must rephrase"... Now please compare with the general tune of your opening post, a few other posts you did and your signature, please.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You seem to be under the misimpression that I am a Dev or something. I am just a player, giving feedback on my experiences.
What?

Quote:
I have not told anyone they "have to" do anything, and if you disagree with my opinion that is fine.
I thought that was exactly what I was doing. Discussing opinions and presenting an alternative.

Quote:
Maybe you could quote the statements you think I made that are telling people what they "have to" do, or "laying down the law and making rules"? Since when is one person giving their opinion "law" or "rules"?
I guess you've already forgotten the OP to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
If you want to have a big battle, thats fine. But for it to be realistic you have to have friendly NPCs helping the player.
I seem to remember another thread recently where you lead the charge against missions that don't require sector space travel because it ruins immersion.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just can't shake the feeling that I've seen posts and opinions coming from you that limit and constrain creativity, whether intentional or not. Perhaps they just weren't well thought out... and that is when I feel the need to add my perspective.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
What I've been doing is putting the groups out there spaced out such that you can try to pull them apart, taking them on in smaller chunks. Just charging in SHOULD get you killed.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM.