Lt. Commander
No, this thread is not a negative critic against Foundry and player generated content (nor an endorsement for that matter), but more like a new way to look at them or introduce them into the game and to us, the players.

To me, a lot of the debate before the Foundry launched seemed to revolve around: is Foundry content official content or similar argument. The meaning of such past thread, in my opinion, is does such content contribute to the official storyline as told by dev created missions and 'official' content. Back then, I stated that it does not and I still remain of that opinion. I was not diminishing the value or quality of such created missions, but I wanted to voice my opinion about how I see Foundry content relative to official content in terms of 'game canon' story telling. And yes, I did play some missions and some are really good. So I welcome more Foundry content and pleased to have them to play.

So here is the goal of this thread: considering Foundry missions are holodeck programs or "holo-novels".

For one, it will give a reason to have a holodeck on board our ships and give a good reason to go there and use it (while we can still access Foundry missions the way we do now if people don't want the hassle to go inside the ship and activate the holodeck...). Another reason, it should make some people better about "Foundry is not official content" by placing it in the context of holodeck usable material.

Again, this is NOT a thread about the quality or validity of Foundry missions. Please only reply with ideas or suggestions related to the proposal of accessing Foundry missions via ship board holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2011, 06:27 AM
I see foundry missions as... filler episodes.
If the main storyline of STO is Voyager getting home, then the foundry is Voyager meeting the alien of the week and them being a villain.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2011, 08:48 AM
There was a big movement towards this presentation back before the Foundry hit Tribble. I was all for this back then, as they would make perfect sense as holodeck programs.

However, after playing a good deal of foundry missions now, I'm quite happy with how they are presented now: as real missions that take place in the game universe.

Still, It'd be nice to have an accessible Holodeck on our ship interiors in the future, where authors could choose for a mission to begin.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2011, 08:51 AM
This was endlessly debated before the Foundry came out, and the Devs decided to make them part of the game world. The debate has already happened, and the decision has already been make. But the good news is you are free to pretend whatever you like, and delete any rewards you get from them since you dont want them to be "real" in the game world.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2011, 10:24 AM
the cat is out of the sack...
foundry is released as is and there is no way of going back now.

most missions are started somewhere in the gameworld. (many in utterly stupid places just to have a start button *somewhere*... others dont even tell you where to start *doh*)

some missions i played seemed to be Holodeck programms, though i had to go to ESD to start them all... because my Interrior has NO Holodeck. (and then there are multiple ship interriors, so the foundry author cant even use MY interrior as start button...)

(the TOS interrior has no Holodeck EVER... so how would you even start a mission in your Holodeck?
right now you NEED workarrounds to give the impression of a Holodeck Simulation... which is sad.)

i think it would be only logical to have the OPTION for both, as an Author.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Anything can be changed if the majority wants it.. otherwise we would still have old earth space dock and old sector space and no ground revamp in the works. The majority also did not vote on the subject and dont have time to get on and use tribble.. so now that its public for all and live, now we can voice our opinions and suggest changes.. if it was a perfect world and no one took advantage of the system, fine.. but its not so get rid of item and accolade rewards and let the foundry be a place for real user generated stories and content, not a place to grind xp or get around and exploit the system..

- X -
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-24-2011, 02:17 PM
I would be very much in favour of having Foundry missions take place in the ships holodeck, or for those of us who fly Defiant, Constitution or other classes that don't have holodecks, have holosuits on ESD, DS9 etc to play on.

As it is now, Foundry missions are really just fan fiction. Good time waster but not really all that special. Since we receive hardly any XP for doing them they don't really feel like taking place in the game world.

An idea that I have is make all Foundry missions Holodeck adventures, and once a week, or so, Cryptic could take the best ones and make them official "real world" missions and give rewards and appropriate levels of XP for completing it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
But the good news is you are free to pretend whatever you like, and delete any rewards you get from them since you dont want them to be "real" in the game world.
Besides being a harsh and misplaced reply, I do not see where that came from. And, as i Stated up there, I am not opposed the UGCs. I actually like to play them and have done a few already... beyond that, I only wanted the community's opinion about how they are handed to us...
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_shirt_ View Post
Besides being a harsh and misplaced reply, I do not see where that came from. And, as i Stated up there, I am not opposed the UGCs. I actually like to play them and have done a few already... beyond that, I only wanted the community's opinion about how they are handed to us...
Theres nothing harsh about it. If you do not want the Foundry missions to be "real", then you can pretend they arent. And if they arent, then you wouldnt get rewards from them either, so you can delete the loot you get if thats what you want. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm telling you you can do that if thats what you want.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-24-2011, 03:37 PM
I'll repost part of a reply I gave to a similar thread last week:

If I didn't feel like these were "real" missions, I wouldn't play them. I'm not interested in pretending to be on a holodeck (unless we can get "Dixon Hill"-type missions, of course).

If I play a mission, dev or player created, it is a "live" mission my character is participating in. That's where the fun is for me.

Cryptic's decision to integrate these missions through the standard mission interface and to allow us to travel to contacts and missions normally really adds to the immersion factor. Considering them just a bunch of holo-novels is of no interest to me at all.

Those who want to use UGC as holo-novels can certainly feel free to do so. When the holodecks are incorporated, that may make it a better fit for those players to go to their holodecks before taking the UGC mission to enhance their sense of immersion.

But for those of us who consider these missions to be "real", the current system is fun and more immersive for us. I think Cryptic made a great decision in that regard.