Lt. Commander
# 1 Misleading reviews
04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Now I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but is there any way of dealing with a review that is misleading? My mission was given 1 because the reviewer said I didn't give the player a mission door, even though there is a mission door highlighted in green, in the mission briefing. The reviewer stated that they couldn't play what they couldn't find. I fear this is going to keep people from trying my mission, when in fact the reviewer is wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddommus View Post
Now I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but is there any way of dealing with a review that is misleading? My mission was given 1 because the reviewer said I didn't give the player a mission door, even though there is a mission door highlighted in green in the mission briefing. The reviewer stated that they couldn't play what they couldn't find. I fear this is going to keep people from trying my mission, when in fact the reviewer is wrong.
This is becoming a recurring problem for me. My mission instructions are basic and perfectly clear but, unfortunately, they're meaningless to those who will not take the time to read the briefing!

This has really become a problem as my most recent mission is launched by utilizing a console on Memory Alpha and, unfortunately, there just isn't any way to ensure the mini-map is marked for that console on a Cryptic-made map. Those who will not take the time to read the mission text are lost and often leave a one-star rating with an indication that the mission is "unplayable."

Sadly, as I see it, there's nothing we can do about this sort of thing. The best that you can do is to be very clear with the text in your mission, be sure to use the green mission text highlighting whenever necessary, and hope that the majority of your players will actually take a moment or two to consider their instructions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2011, 04:01 PM
no there is not much of a way to stop people from doing stuff like this

best you can do is let us know the name and some kind people might play it here, and get it off the ground. once you have a couple of reviews then people will see that its all fine.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2011, 04:04 PM
If your location is only on the popup, that is where the problem is. once the popup is gone someone has to search thru npc text to find it. Put the location on the objectives, so it is right there on the screen at all times. If it is only in the popup and someone accepts a couple missions, or logs off, the popup is gone, but if the 1st thing on the list is where to go, problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2011, 04:06 PM
I cant speak for anyone else obviously, but I dont pay attention to ratings when looking for a mission. I look at the names, and if I see something creative and interesting I read the mission journal. If the journal is well written and creative or interesting, I play the mission. On the other hand I pretty much pass over missions with journal text that doesnt sound right, regardless of the rating.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Instead of some fancy name for the first map, but put the name of the system. That way people can find it later. Also, if you are getting bad reviews due to length or lack of a certain type of mobs, you should add that info as well.

Here is basically the template of what I use:
Quote:
[OOC]LONG MISSION! NOT RECOMMENDED FOR FOUNDRY DAILY!"[/OOC]

Two sentence summary of what the mission is. Includes the name of the system and sector and what the mission is all about.

[OOC]No/Lots of Space Combat; No/Lots of Ground Combat
Be sure to play XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, and XXXX.[/OOC]

Version 1.X: XXXX XXXX XX
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2011, 03:56 AM
i really enjoyed the mission and the artwork was beautiful. the city looked incredible so well done for that.

just watch the last bit. when you beam them over from the station, the reach marker is right on top of you, so it wont fire off. you have to move out of the circle and back in.

too fix this just put the damaged ship and reach marker a little further out.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
This is becoming a recurring problem for me. My mission instructions are basic and perfectly clear but, unfortunately, they're meaningless to those who will not take the time to read the briefing!

This has really become a problem as my most recent mission is launched by utilizing a console on Memory Alpha and, unfortunately, there just isn't any way to ensure the mini-map is marked for that console on a Cryptic-made map. Those who will not take the time to read the mission text are lost and often leave a one-star rating with an indication that the mission is "unplayable."

Sadly, as I see it, there's nothing we can do about this sort of thing. The best that you can do is to be very clear with the text in your mission, be sure to use the green mission text highlighting whenever necessary, and hope that the majority of your players will actually take a moment or two to consider their instructions.
What I've found is that a lot of mission creators will put the location of the system in the initial hailing text, but not in the objectives. After accepting the mission, the only way to go back and read the hailing text is to drop and re-accept the mission. And, sometimes, you forget the name of the system/sector in the few seconds between hitting accept and opening the map.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
What I've found is that a lot of mission creators will put the location of the system in the initial hailing text, but not in the objectives. After accepting the mission, the only way to go back and read the hailing text is to drop and re-accept the mission. And, sometimes, you forget the name of the system/sector in the few seconds between hitting accept and opening the map.
Yep, they write it on the popup, then you read more stuff, or accept more missions, the info is gone unless you dig through npc text, which is only there if you haven't logged out. Location needs to be the 1st objective.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I wonder if it wouldn't be to everyone's benefit if they simply had a way of marking on the map where the primary mission is located. This would benefit both Foundry missions and Cryptic designed ones as well.

It's not a huge deal but I wouldn't mind being able to make my mission text say something beyond "go to this system located in this sector" for the first objective.