Lt. Commander
I was recently thinking about adding a link to my mission descriptions that would simply point players to "Starbase UGC". This way players could not only read more about my missions but get details that there simply isn't room for in the description. Then I thought what if it violates the EULA?

The EULA says >>>
Quote:
You may not publish web URL's in your content.
Would this be a violation since it is simply providing a place to learn more about the mission or even talk about it. This could be very helpful with communication between the creator of the mission and the players. Bug reports could be more detailed as well as updates could be posted so players would know when missions were updated Etc. There currently is no way to contact foundry others aside from friending them and emailing them.

I have read many reviews in game and thought it would be nice if there was a way to reply to the reviews.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
You could start a forum thread and reply to individual reviews there. You could send an in-game mail to the person who left the review. But you can't include a URL anywhere in your Foundry mission.
  • You may not publish web URLs in your content.

That's pretty specific. It means; "You may not publish web URLs in your content." Not even if it's for the Foundry, not even if... etc., etc., etc.

You may not publish web URLs in your content.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing any way in which that is unclear. Sorry. Like Falcon said, mail people or start a forum thread for your mission and try to get it reviewed by one of the active reviewers here.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM
I'd love to do that, too. Fact is though, that this EULA restriction even makes sense.

I put a link on one of my websites a few years back. And then recently got a mail informing me, that I should remove that link immediatelly. The site had changed! The new domain owner did not host the contents I had linked to ages ago. He was hosting ... different services involving mostly rather naked or leather-clad females.

While I could still laugh about that one, in some countries the law states that a domain owner is not only responsible for the content he hosts, but also for the content he links to.

Aside from that, while your heart is pure and your reasons good, there are people out there that would probably use URLs to advertise real money trading, power-levelling and all the other stuff one does not want to see.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirus
I'd love to do that, too. Fact is though, that this EULA restriction even makes sense.

I put a link on one of my websites a few years back. And then recently got a mail informing me, that I should remove that link immediatelly. The site had changed! The new domain owner did not host the contents I had linked to ages ago. He was hosting ... different services involving mostly rather naked or leather-clad females.

While I could still laugh about that one, in some countries the law states that a domain owner is not only responsible for the content he hosts, but also for the content he links to.

Aside from that, while your heart is pure and your reasons good, there are people out there that would probably use URLs to advertise real money trading, power-levelling and all the other stuff one does not want to see.
I agree there needs to be a rule to prevent advertising and such. Maybe it should be no URLs to any site other than the official STO forums. That way people could link to a specific thread where people can discuss the mission, but no other sites are allowed.

To put it simply, people are either going to follow the rules or they arent. Making a slight adjustment to allow only the official forums isnt going to increase or decrease the amount of people who follow the rules, only make it more reasonable for the reason the rule exists, which is to prevent ads or inappropriate content.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-29-2011, 11:03 AM
They definitely should allow links to the forums. Or maybe each map should automatically generate a special in-game comments board. It seems like with the EULA they erred on the side of being extremely overly restrictive. However, that's how it currently is.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Maybe it should be no URLs to any site other than the official STO forums.
Yes. That would make sense. I want to post music suggestions, outside comments, background info etc to my missions. While this forum is limiting, it would be a start if they allowed is as a reference.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-29-2011, 11:53 AM
To me, a more interesting question is, could we publish web content in our content?
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
To me, a more interesting question is, could we publish web content in our content?
Sup Dawg, I heard you like content?

I know I've been one to pick apart the wording of EULAs, but we really can't get much clearer than:

Quote:
You may not publish web URL's in your content.
I suppose would technically permit gopher: and ftp: URLs, thinking about it...
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirus
Yes. That would make sense. I want to post music suggestions, outside comments, background info etc to my missions. While this forum is limiting, it would be a start if they allowed is as a reference.
They could even put a URL box in the mission editor text that had the first part of the url defined for your like

http://forums.startrekonline.com/

And then you could only enter the text that came after it, which would be the ID for your thread. That way the system would only allow links to the STO forums and any other links wouldnt work.