Lt. Commander
# 1 Quick & Hidden Mission?
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
I have noticed a large number of missions on the foundry now that, to me, seem to be exploitive. The whole mission is to go to a console on ESD and “interact” with it. That’s it -- mission done. You can then pick it up and play it two more time in a row and a get your daily reward in about 15 seconds and then repeat with your other alts. Most of these don’t have information where the start “door” is so they are hidden and can only used by fleets or the authors’ buddies.

Now this seems, to me, not to be what the foundry for was intended. However, with chatting with some people (including a Dev), I got the impression that everyone is okay with it. Is that the case? Are these mission exploits?

Should they be reported?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
In response to a question regarding missions that were specifically designed to give you quick rewards WishStone wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone View Post
Please report these. Making these missions is abuse of the system and we will remove such missions and revoke publishing rights to players who make them.
And by the way, the Foundry rules are listed in a thread that's stickied at the top of this forum.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altexist View Post
Now this seems, to me, not to be what the foundry for was intended. However, with chatting with some people (including a Dev), I got the impression that everyone is okay with it. Is that the case? Are these mission exploits?

Should they be reported?
I hope you got the wrong impression. I find it hard to believe a Dev would be okay with it. I would call them exploits...

Once enough of them get reported and the author tries to republish it after it has been taken down, they will lose their ability to publish forever. Unless of course they purchase another account...
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I find that reporting these does actually nothing. I accepted this kind of mission, just so I could report it.
But 2 or 3 days later I accidently completed the mission.
That raises the question: How long does it take them to remove a reported mission?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptLee39
I find that reporting these does actually nothing. I accepted this kind of mission, just so I could report it.
But 2 or 3 days later I accidently completed the mission.
That raises the question: How long does it take them to remove a reported mission?
Cryptic still has to review these missions so expect a bit of a backlog until they catch up.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
, they also have to ban all the "RP Lounge," "Fleet Starbase," "Recruiting Video," and "City Building Contest" missions that are also out there, as well as lots of "Training" missions that might include any sort of early exit feature for convenience.
I wrote this earlier, but before this darn wrapper mission came in, no-one would consider RP maps/missions as "exploits".

I can tell you that we used one of my own maps, a court room, for almost 8 hours straight RP. And it was the best Trek feeling I ever had in this game. I think there should be a feature in the editor that just tags content as "not a mission" and it doesn't count against the (pretty new) daily. Problem solved for everyone. No more workarounds needed.

Currently I withdraw maps of this type after use, btw, but 8 hours are eight hours and might get me banned, even though they contribute to the feeling that we are playing "Star Trek" instead of "Space Invaders"... Which is a feeling many Trekkies have.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Don't worry about it. People need to stop getting so wrapped up in fretting over exploits. Focus on your own enjoyment instead. You can only run the Foundry mission once per day, so it's not like they can get that much experience doing this in the course of one day. If some idiot wants to run it in 60 seconds with all of this alts, then so be it. People with any sense will actually seek out quality missions and enjoy themselves, even as it takes longer to complete.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
The interact with console missions are the most obvious problem, but there is a mission type that is only one-step removed, which is where you zone in and have a "click to complete" button to finish and exit. Could be a contact, console, waypoint, or whatever. The problem is that if they ban all missions like this, they also have to ban all the "RP Lounge," "Fleet Starbase," "Recruiting Video," and "City Building Contest" missions that are also out there, as well as lots of "Training" missions that might include any sort of early exit feature for convenience.

While one of these mission types is intended for completing the daily and the others are nominally meant for something else, they're all functionally the same, and they all do just as well if your only goal is to clickthrough to the daily reward. I doubt Cryptic actually wants to ban all these other non-mission uses people have found for Foundry, so they have a real dilemma in figuring out how to deal with the "click to complete" issue. It's not clear that this is a problem any policy can solve without banning a huge number of "legit" missions that people obviously want to create and use.

I don't know if they're truly "ok" with this whole problem, but for now at least, it seems like they see the cost of tolerating click to complete missions as lower than the cost of banning everything they would have to in order to eliminate them. People who really want to play regular missions and just get some reward are still getting that, after all, even if others are getting the daily reward from the clickthroughs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
The problem is that if they ban all missions like this, they also have to ban all the "RP Lounge," "Fleet Starbase," "Recruiting Video," and "City Building Contest" missions that are also out there, as well as lots of "Training" missions that might include any sort of early exit feature for convenience.
How to make an exploit-proof RP map:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=213292
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
How to make an exploit-proof RP map:
Seems like the ultimate fix is either: (1) allow creating missions that don't contain any actual objectives (and therefore can't be completed); or (2) add a new type of "objective" that lets you "complete" (and probably automatically exit) without registering as an actual completion. The second is probably easier for authors to understand and deploy, since it's a tangible option that does what they expect it to do. Either of these options though would allow Cryptic to sort out click to complete vs. nonobjective missions, without having to figure out whether someone has used the unreachable objective kludge.