Lt. Commander
Ok I was doing my daily surfing, and I came across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTVuwFRjXA

and this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQowy9DdY8k

Ok I get it. It's a fast food place, but really what is so special about this burger, that people are waiting in super Theme park type lines to get one?

Ok we don't have one up here by me, or in the state, so I will never know, can someone explain to me what is sooooo special about the In-N-Out burger?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Cedric View Post
Ok we don't have one up here by me, or in the state, so I will never know, can someone explain to me what is sooooo special about the In-N-Out burger?
Bible verses on the drinking cups and wrappers, not freezing the meat patties, and using thousand island dressing on the burgers as the special sauce. Oh and smothering their french fries in fried onions, cheese, and the aforementioned dressing.

That's what I can tell from Wikipedia.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Well that's a little different, but I think I will need to taste one. hehe Shame we have none up here.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-13-2011, 11:28 AM
All the ingredients are very fresh and as natural as you are likely to encounter in a fast food place and their staff is exceedingly friendly and polite. Even some food critics consider In 'N Out Burger to be quality eats. The only thing I do not like is that they are "cash only" (no debit or credit cards accepted as far as I know).
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
In and Out is both "whole food" and "junk food" at their highest levels.

Their fries are cut from potatoes on site, and fried (in vegetable oil) once, then served. Most fast food fries are "twice fried" and frozen inbetween.. that is they are cut, fried, frozen, then shipped, and refried on site.

The In and Out menu is notoriously sparse. There are very few "options" stated on their menu. While they will create variations for you, you are of course limited to the materials available. There's no bacon, no swiss cheese.. This isn't Burger King. Your choices are meat, cheese, bread, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, and fried onions. There is no chicken, no fish, no salads, no onion-rings.. just burgers, fries, drinks... that's it.

As such, In and Out is considered something of a "Guys" burger place.. and was mentioned in The Big Lebowski.

It's not a bad place to eat, if you're in the mood for what they offer. But personally I find their fries oily and disgusting, and I like a little more variety in my fast food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-13-2011, 11:29 AM
So it's like a Five Guys or The Heart Attack Grill right? Both places have very greesy burgers, but the In and Out is a little cleaner?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-13-2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.in-n-out.com/menu.asp

In-N-Out menu:
  • Double Double - 2 (1/8lb) 100% pure beef patties, hand-leafed lettuce, Tomato, (thousand Island) spread, Two slices of American cheese, with or without onions, stacked high on a freshly baked bun.
  • Cheeseburger - 1 (1/8lb) 100% pure beef patty, hand-leafed lettuce, Tomato, (thousand Island) spread, one slice of American cheese, with or without onions, stacked high on a freshly baked bun.
  • Hamburger - 1 (1/8lb) 100% pure beef patty, hand-leafed lettuce, Tomato, (thousand Island) spread, with or without onions, stacked high on a freshly baked bun.
  • French Fries - Fresh cut potatoes prepared in 100% vegetable oil.
  • Shakes & Beverages - Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla, 100% pure ice-cream, Coca-Cola Classic, Diet Coke, 7-Up, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Lemonade, Iced-Tea, Coffee

Beyond that extensive selection, they also offer a "secret menu" with such amazing alternatives as the 3x3 (3 meats, 3 cheese), the 4x4 (you can probably guess what that implies) and a couple of weird and inventive alternatives including "protein style" (aka.. no bun).. and "animal style" where the burger is fried in mustard, then served with all the normal trimmings, plus extra sauce and fried onions.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-13-2011, 04:26 PM
One just opened in Texas and people lost their #$#% about it, waiting hours in line. Meh, I'll try it one of these days to say I did it.

Five Guys was a one-time thing for me. The fries were greasy and the burger was huge and gloppy and sloppy. I can't eat that way long term.