Lt. Commander
Hello community, so like the title says, how do yo go about writing your missions in the foundry? I'm a prolific fan-fiction writer but I write in prose, I don't write in script fashion it's just counter intuitive for me since i've been writing stories that way for more than 20 years.

The Foundry is a dream come true (more assets please cryptic!!!); however, you can't write for a misison the way you write a fanfic. For one you have to break everything into dialogue boxes and plan it out in trees etceterra. Then there are the physical limitations ie: you have a vision of an environment but the assets don't exist to create that environment.

So you do you plan your stories and write them out? I've discovered that it is a painstaking process to go back and try to find all my typo's.

I greatly apreciate any insights tips and tricks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozan View Post
Hello community, so like the title says, how do yo go about writing your missions in the foundry? I'm a prolific fan-fiction writer but I write in prose, I don't write in script fashion it's just counter intuitive for me since i've been writing stories that way for more than 20 years.

The Foundry is a dream come true (more assets please cryptic!!!); however, you can't write for a misison the way you write a fanfic. For one you have to break everything into dialogue boxes and plan it out in trees etceterra. Then there are the physical limitations ie: you have a vision of an environment but the assets don't exist to create that environment.

So you do you plan your stories and write them out? I've discovered that it is a painstaking process to go back and try to find all my typo's.

It can be a daunting task if you have a complex story. My latest (see my signature) took me three weeks. I wrote out the basic story before I started. I had some huge dialouge trees which I actually wrote in word first and then transfered them over to the dialogue boxes.

You are right you have to uee dialouge to tell the story but it turns out to not be so hard. Once you get started. It's a lot of pre-planning. Get that right and everything else flows from there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Well, for me, I write out a theme first and then build on that theme by making an outline. Once I have that down, it's time for me to pick the maps that fit my story. Once Im done with that, then I start to look over my outline and start to fill in the dialogue. Also, got to remember were not getting paid to do this so the critics shouldn't be to harsh....
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I plan the outline in my head for days and weeks sometime, so i know the important conversations, more or less.

i then use word to write it down. again i play the mission in my head and imagine what i need to write in each text box.

i then plug it into the mission and then go through adding bits and pieces here and there after play throughs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I usually sacrifice a goat first. Seems to work for me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I try to get a general concept lined out in a word editor, something like Lebre Office, Microsoft Word, or other choice editor. From there I attempt to expand the story with a Beginning, Middle, and End. I'll then add all the appropriate tags to text such as [/missioninfo] and such, then save it off for editing later on. I then load into the Foundry and create all the maps, and characters that i'll need for the story. I'll usually keep things pretty generic as far as the maps go and add details once I can play though the mission. Once I get the basics programmed into the Foundry, i'll cut and paste the story from my text document into the foundry. I can then typically play though the mission once to make sure all the tags and triggers work correctly. Once i'm satisfied that everything is how I want it for the story flow, i'll go in and add additional details to the maps, such as tree's, effects, backgrounds and make it more visually appealing to the player.

I'll then publish it once I am satisfied with it and make changes here and there after getting feedback. It usually takes me a bit because I like to go in with a fresh view of everything, and try to make the mission enjoyable for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I have a general idea of what I want to write and what elements I need. I then create each map to tell that story. Lastly, I do the actual dialogue tree.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Great tool for writing STO
05-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozan View Post

A simply but very useful free tool I use is called FreeMind - its perfect! + Word for spelling!
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-21-2011, 04:57 AM
I pretty much just come up with the whole thing in my head and then make the maps. It's not like straight fiction because you are making a mission, not just a story. You need to come up with a concept for locations and mission objectives for the player to accomplish.

I usually have developed a lot of the dialogue in my head, but I then write anything complex down before transferring it into the Foundry. The dialogue editor is too clunky to use otherwise. In addition, I have to put all the text in last because otherwise the Foundry becomes unusable for me.

As I put the characters in (create them in the costume editor) and put them into the maps, some of them will develop more of a personality.

Everything I do is pretty free form. I don't believe in hard and fast outlines or excessive planning. But I'm good at retaining a lot of information in my memory, so mine might not be the best strategy for everyone. However, I will add that with the serious limitations of the Foundry you really need to be adaptable because your plans will probably run into problems.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-21-2011, 05:11 AM
All the outlines I've created for the Foundry missions I'd like to make are all from stories I've already written from years prior.

First thing I do is take the story and see if I can drop it directly into STO as it is now with it's current state of affairs. This is important (at least for me) to know that the story you're telling can either stand on it's own, or play off of events that have taken place in the game.

What takes place next is a transformation of this new story into a relevant game experience for the player. It's not interesting for the player to read about how some other character did something somewhere, so I ensure that the player can accomplish the events so that they are at the center of the story. If the player feels they're not making the story progress, they typically will drop it.

Then the elements I need, such as NPC's and maps, are written down for reference for when I venture into the Foundry.