Lt. Commander
# 1 wedding dresses in the c-store
05-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Just had a idea after talking with my gf about having diffrent types of wedding dresses in the c-store and possibly a wedding chapel somewhere in the game.
I know alot of ppl would do the wedding just for fun
I also know that theres probably alot of couples out there that would love to get married in STO.

Well just a idea and suggestion.
Great game cryptic and looking forward to S4
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-24-2011, 11:32 PM
I was going to comment that Star Trek Online is rated "T for Teen", but then I actually looked at the rating specification, in that it specifically allows "Suggestive Themes".. so the rating wouldn't specifically be in the way.

However, Star Trek always kind of tippytoed around the issue of what 23rd/24th century human "Religion" looked like. I think in part that's due to the general impression I've always had, that Gene Roddenberry's vision of an evolved humanity, didn't include the kind of overt religion as we know it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain James T. Kirk (TOS: Balance of Terror)

Since the days of the first wooden vessels, all ship masters have had one happy privilege: that of uniting two people in the bonds of matrimony. And so, we are gathered here today with you, Angela Martine, and you, Robert Tomlinson, in the sight of your fellows in accordance with our laws and our many beliefs, that you may pledge your -

[the ceremony is interrupted by a siren]
"our many beliefs" suggests that religions still exist, but their precise nature and names are "best left unsaid and unshown". It seems that in the 23rd/24th century, humanity has learned that it's best not to bring Religion and Politics to the workplace, and religion seems to have evolved to be more of a private thing. Only Martine (and possibly Rand) seems to pray in that scene, everyone else seems to be "kindly accepting" her quaint adherence to custom. The altar seems to be kind of.. well okay it's extremely vague as to what religion it might refer to, though there does seem to be a vague "Christmas tree" motif (though that might have something to do with the fact that the episode aired on December 15, 1966)

That said, I don't think CBS will be "too keen" on giving players the suggestion that they could "get married"... because that inevitably leads to the issue of consummating that marriage. But at the same time, I think it might be cool to give us some kind of weddingish/contillionish gazebo construct, maybe someplace on Risa.

Of course that almost entirely guarantees that we'll never see Betazed (or Ferenginar for that matter)

As for wedding clothes, Martine and Tomlinson got married in their standard duty uniforms (though Martine had some kind of feathers on her head), and while Keiko got married in a Kimono, O'brien wore his "Dress" uniform. Likewise,m when Riker and Troi got married, Troi wore a pink dress, and Riker wore a standard Dress Uniform.

(it's interesting that the TOS crew didn't wear dress uniforms for the wedding in Balance of Terror, this is of course easily explained by the fact that they hadn't actually been created by the time that episode was made)
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-25-2011, 09:14 AM
There is nothing wrong with having marriage in the game. Aside from the countless sets of married couples that we've seen in all of the series we've had the chance to see alot of couples getting married. Martine and Tomlinson, Chief Miles Edward O'Brian and Keiko, Captain Riker and Diana Troi, Worf and Jadzia. There's even been a couple of close calls like Lwaxana and that minister guy... Everyone married, even Quark got married!

As for the matter of wedding dresses..... if they ever add wedding outfits then I want some traditional Betazed wedding outfits too!
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarium View Post
There is nothing wrong with having marriage in the game. Aside from the countless sets of married couples that we've seen in all of the series we've had the chance to see alot of couples getting married. Martine and Tomlinson, Chief Miles Edward O'Brian and Keiko, Captain Riker and Diana Troi, Worf and Jadzia. There's even been a couple of close calls like Lwaxana and that minister guy... Everyone married, even Quark got married!

As for the matter of wedding dresses..... if they ever add wedding outfits then I want some traditional Betazed wedding outfits too!
I like the idea of adding the ability of some characters being allowed to tie the knot, so long as everyone knows that events that occur in the game have now bearing or legal basis in the real world outside the game (or any legal obligations in the game either!). Character interactions and plot threads like this help to enrich the role playing experience.

What kind of ceremonies would be performed? The Western White Wedding and Betazoid are classics (from a Trek fan's point of view), but what about East Asian Ceremonies? How about Andorian or Vulcan ones too? Will there be a Saber Arch Avalable for military weddings(with the spouse being tapped on the rump)?

I would recommend, however, that Wedding dresses be restricted to female characers. Another question that comes to mind is what kind of dresses? Most people automatically think of Western White Wedding dresses, but there are other types as well. There is the elaborate Kimono, and the colorful Hanbok marrage dresses from East Asia. Would those be included as well? My thoughts on Betaziod "attire" is that a certain amount of decorum be observed, and at all Betaziod ceramonies, the participants should at a minumum wear skin colored bikinis or speedos.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Technically being the Captain of your ship you don't need a chapel, you're fully allowed to do so on your on. Hell, Picards done it on the enterprise, i think Kirk has married two officers together.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow
Technically being the Captain of your ship you don't need a chapel, you're fully allowed to do so on your on. Hell, Picards done it on the enterprise, i think Kirk has married two officers together.
*Strolling down the halls of his ship*

Captain Reverand: You *points to crewman* and..... *looks around* you! *points to crewwoman* You're married! I'm the Captain, make it so!
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Quote:
uh... Betazed weddings are done in the buff as far as I know... i don't think they have any designs
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
uh... Betazed weddings are done in the buff as far as I know... i don't think they have any designs
That's the point! LOL
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Quote:
That's the point! LOL
but i know a T rating won't allow characters to go in the buff... they couldn't get away with calling that 'suggestive themes'
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
I was going to comment that Star Trek Online is rated "T for Teen", but then I actually looked at the rating specification, in that it specifically allows "Suggestive Themes".. so the rating wouldn't specifically be in the way.
)

Personally i don't think i've seen a whole lot in the way of suggestive themes. i'm surprised it hasn't come up more seeing how much sex came up in the shows and movies. Even in TOS up to Enterprise there is ALWAYS a mention of it happening. I'm not talking about trills "doin' it till the worm falls out" but with things like marraige i'm surprised it hasn't happened for things like missions or cut scenes where one is interupted. But yeah, there are a LOT of people that would have married characters in game if they had the options for it. How many Trek themed weddings are ther IRL each year, you know?

Would i do it? Hellz no, but still i know a lot of people out there would.