Lt. Commander
# 1 Carrier attack pet logic fix
06-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Greetings all,

I've checked in a fix for carrier attack pets that does the following:
  • If the attack pet's primary target cloaks (and the pet is outside of its detection range) it will now attack another enemy target until its primary target comes back out of cloak.
  • If the attack pet's primary target dies, they should no longer fly toward the respawn location of that target.
  • Scramble Sensors now affects attack pets.

This fix should arrive on Tribble at the end of next week.

-snix
Lt. Commander
# 2
Barring actual buttons and controls to control the targets of the pets, that is an improvement. (Though why do they return to the original target and not just set for the currently target selected by the Cruiser?)

Except maybe the Scramble Sensors thing - you should seriously consider taking back one/some of the Carrier "nerfs" back. The Scramble thing might considerably weaken his offensive abiltities - and possibly his defense, if the pets target the Carrier itself... Hmm.
Lt. Commander
# 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Barring actual buttons and controls to control the targets of the pets, that is an improvement. (Though why do they return to the original target and not just set for the currently target selected by the Cruiser?)

Except maybe the Scramble Sensors thing - you should seriously consider taking back one/some of the Carrier "nerfs" back. The Scramble thing might considerably weaken his offensive abiltities - and possibly his defense, if the pets target the Carrier itself... Hmm.
True

I hope that if the Carrier uses science team on one of its BOP or Duj Fighters that it will remove scramble sensors on all of the BOP and Duj at are deployed at the tiem
Lt. Commander
# 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by snix View Post
[*]Scramble Sensors now affects attack pets
Great! now fix the issue where you can't clear scramble with sci-team, and add a scramble resistance!
Lt. Commander
# 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by snix View Post
Greetings all,

I've checked in a fix for carrier attack pets that does the following:
  • If the attack pet's primary target cloaks (and the pet is outside of its detection range) it will now attack another enemy target until its primary target comes back out of cloak.
  • If the attack pet's primary target dies, they should no longer fly toward the respawn location of that target.
  • Scramble Sensors now affects attack pets.

This fix should arrive on Tribble at the end of next week.

-snix
This is helpful, and I appreciate the effort... but, could I also ask for three other things, because Carrier Pets right now are dumber than posts; and while this change will help; it's still going to leave the little guys pretty uhm... less-than-brilliant on most occasions.

1) We really just need some basic button-based controls. Please, please think about adding them, it's the single most irritating part of playing a carrier at present, and it's not even something that can be excused by realism (even in a Star Trek sense.) My preference would be for a space equivalent to the Bridge Officer controls, enabling you to control all flights at once, or each flight individually.

2) Could you get the fighters to smarten up about Warp Core Breaches? Right now they just hang around a defeated enemy unless *immediately* reassigned, Since there's no pet control buttons, if there's not an enemy in visual distance, they'll just explode by standing around the warp core when it goes off. It also just plain looks stupid. (Or at least, makes the pilots look like idiots.)

3) When an enemy target turns Friendly; like during the various Transport Raids done by Gozer, the pets keep attacking the now-friendly ship, and will not change target until it's dead. This isn't as big an issue on some other maps where disabling a ship and then boarding it is part of the mission (though it is annoying if you disable it earlier in the mission and have more fighting to do)... but on the transport raids it makes doing the various bonuses in a carrier near impossible.

Really button based controls would fix the other two as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
This is helpful, and I appreciate the effort... but, could I also ask for three other things, because Carrier Pets right now are dumber than posts; and while this change will help; it's still going to leave the little guys pretty uhm... less-than-brilliant on most occasions.

1) We really just need some basic button-based controls. Please, please think about adding them, it's the single most irritating part of playing a carrier at present, and it's not even something that can be excused by realism (even in a Star Trek sense.) My preference would be for a space equivalent to the Bridge Officer controls, enabling you to control all flights at once, or each flight individually.
Agree. Pets you don't have direct control over, are pretty annoying, frustrating and in my opinion somhow contradictory to a 'pet class'
Quote:
2) Could you get the fighters to smarten up about Warp Core Breaches? Right now they just hang around a defeated enemy unless *immediately* reassigned, Since there's no pet control buttons, if there's not an enemy in visual distance, they'll just explode by standing around the warp core when it goes off. It also just plain looks stupid. (Or at least, makes the pilots look like idiots.)
This is especially annoying when using energy siphon pods, since they orbit the target at such a close distance that all of them will be destroyed by the targets explosion for sure.
Thus you can absolutly forget about building up stack of them and this is also the reason why they are very rarly beeing used. Besides me trying to find some use for them, I can only remember one encounter where some other guy was using them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
I agree that fighters should have controls, I believe that there are discussions with the MVAM problems with the same issue as #2, hopefullly a fix will work for both sides on this.

If basic controls are added #3 should be fixed as well.
Lt. Commander
# 8
Its a start SNix, but fine control of pets should be the ultimate goal.
Lt. Commander
# 9
The Devs are never going to learn, people have been asking for pet controls since beta. You even have Federation players asking for Pet controls, that means you should now make that a priority.
Lt. Commander
# 10
Well, this little tidbit of CaptainGeko has me more optimistic then Serpieri. But then, who isn't? :p

Source: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=527
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
  • Great ideas about A.I. controls, or equipping your pets with item, but that is beyond the scope of this feature. The MVAM will not be getting these with its initial release. Better space pet controls - like BOff controls - is something we hope to get to space pets sometime in the future.
Of course "hope to get" is not "scheduled for season 4", but at least they have acknowledged the need and expressed the desire to do it. Can't come soon enough, right?