Lt. Commander
Many planets in STO suffer from severe polar "pinching" where textures will gather at the northern/southern poles.

I know this image isn't from STO but many of STO's planets look like this.

This makes the texture appear "pinched", like the bunny on the right.

It can be easily fixed in photoshop. Polar coordinates are your friend.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-16-2011, 05:20 PM
If we spot any really bad ones we try to fix em, but usually they are covered by icecaps or clouds.

Unfortunately, it's not a simple photoshop texture fix. This stuff is generated through custom shader templates in the game, and once in a while it comes out a little weird at the poles.

If any are particularly horrid, let us know what map you spot it on!
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-16-2011, 08:32 PM
If you look at many of the celestial objects in the Solar system, they have a giant impact crater on their polar regions. I believe that there is a few articles about low angle impacts with massive objects and the borderline between whether a object survives the impact, or is completely obliterated.

I would suggest that the "pinching" effect could be somewhat explained like this. One solution would be to have the graphics algorithm place a giant crater covering the worst of this effect with the center of the crater placed on the center of the worst of the pinching "effect". When done in this manner, those line would appear as ejecta rays eminating from said crater. Even a class M world such as Earth has these readily identifiable objects (take a look at the crater shaped lake in Quebec, Canada on any map).
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhighison View Post
That view from the new Qo'Nos shipyard could do with a little touch up.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhighison View Post
If we spot any really bad ones we try to fix em, but usually they are covered by icecaps or clouds.

Unfortunately, it's not a simple photoshop texture fix. This stuff is generated through custom shader templates in the game, and once in a while it comes out a little weird at the poles.

I didn't realize they were generated that way. Thanks for the information!