Lt. Commander
You won't find me in the forums whining about microtransactions. I support the game, and have spent a lot on items in the C-Store which I think are useful, or even just cool.

I am a little twisted off about the Caitian Bridge Officer offer, though.

Long ago - probably the first day available - I purchased the playable Caitian race. Paying again for the same race, especially just as a Bridge Officer, seems to me to be parsing the microtransactions a little too much.

I am still rolling over in my mind whether it is enough to make me stop using the C-Store entirely. I am torn, because, as I said, I want to support the game (especially now with the Atari sale situation), but I also intensely dislike the sensation of being milked, or even ripped-off.

Not trying to start a revolt here; I'll be perfectly happy if people post replies which make me understand, and feel better about, the dual-charging for the Caitian race.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-21-2011, 10:53 AM
If the BOffs were account-wide like the Borg engineer AND the devs didn't retcon their promise to put them in the DOff system, I'd say they MIGHT be worth it. As they are now, I'd personally stay away from them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
If the BOffs were account-wide like the Borg engineer AND the devs didn't retcon their promise to put them in the DOff system, I'd say they MIGHT be worth it. As they are now, I'd personally stay away from them.
Retcon their promise? Your turn of phrase, while extremely clever, is being far too kind in my opinion.

Lt. Commander
# 4
06-21-2011, 11:37 AM
No. Not for having to pay 100 points for each one.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Worth spending your money on, that's up to you.

However you can purchase them on the exchange if you really want one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Or you just spend EC on the exchange and get them that way. finally had something to spend a little of my ec's on. I got the aener & Caiten for around 700k EC.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-21-2011, 01:52 PM
In one sense, the reason these aren't account-wide BOFF's and the reason they cost what they do is by design.

Since it is intended that these BOFF's are tradeable, it also follows that you can buy one, turn around and put it on the Exchange, and then rake in EC's from players who have the EC's and aren't willing to pay real dollars for them.

I'm not sure it's a great tradeoff. And I don't like the fact that it permits doing that kind of thing, but I'd rather have it tradeable than not.

One advantage of this is that you can (theoretically at least) get these BOFF's trained by other players, where you can't do that with the untradeable account-wide BOFF's.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalosPike View Post
You won't find me in the forums whining about microtransactions. I support the game, and have spent a lot on items in the C-Store which I think are useful, or even just cool.

I am a little twisted off about the Caitian Bridge Officer offer, though.

Long ago - probably the first day available - I purchased the playable Caitian race. Paying again for the same race, especially just as a Bridge Officer, seems to me to be parsing the microtransactions a little too much.

I am still rolling over in my mind whether it is enough to make me stop using the C-Store entirely. I am torn, because, as I said, I want to support the game (especially now with the Atari sale situation), but I also intensely dislike the sensation of being milked, or even ripped-off.

Not trying to start a revolt here; I'll be perfectly happy if people post replies which make me understand, and feel better about, the dual-charging for the Caitian race.
Heh! Buy them off the exchange. No need to spend real money on them.
I got an all Aenar bridge crew for my Andorian Captain like that.

Off topic:
For all those who havent noticed till now. The Aenar engineer has AUX to SIF 3. One BO was about 500k.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1restarter
Heh! Buy them off the exchange. No need to spend real money on them.
I got an all Aenar bridge crew for my Andorian Captain like that.
this, they are so cheap on the exchange that i wouldnt even consider a c-store purchase as an option