06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
After 8 turbulent years, the time has finally come:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/p...pic_id=1220357

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06...wars-galaxies/

I dare say the end of an era for many.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Once SW:TOR was announced, SWG's end was inevitable.

I'd say "I called it!", but so did a million other folks on the internet.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Yeah, they know that regardless of whether TOR's good or just okay, it'll still kill 'em, plus it has been on life support for a loooooong time.

Hey if nothing else they were a cautionary example of how to not re-vamp a game after launch (pre-NGE, I loved the community there and they actually had non-combat classes that were valid/contributed to the game and a most intriguing player-driven economy. After NGE, not so much).
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Going to miss SWG so much. At least there is still EMU.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.O.P.H.E.T.
Yeah, they know that regardless of whether TOR's good or just okay, it'll still kill 'em, plus it has been on life support for a loooooong time.

Hey if nothing else they were a cautionary example of how to not re-vamp a game after launch (pre-NGE, I loved the community there and they actually had non-combat classes that were valid/contributed to the game and a most intriguing player-driven economy. After NGE, not so much).
As bad as the NGE was, SWG still has the best crafting system out of any MMO I have played. And the Ent's are still almost a requirement for their buffs. That said, Dan Rubenfield has confirmed that prior to the NGE the game was losing 10k subs a month, so even then things werent as great as alot of people tend to remember.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Yah but once NGE hit - it was game over for the rest..
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce007 View Post
Yah but once NGE hit - it was game over for the rest..
It sucked, no doubt. However the game lasted 5/6 years after the NGE, so some people obviously stuck around. Either way, at the rate the game was bleeding subs before the NGE it probably wouldnt have been around any longer than it has turned out to be.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
As bad as the NGE was, SWG still has the best crafting system out of any MMO I have played. And the Ent's are still almost a requirement for their buffs. That said, Dan Rubenfield has confirmed that prior to the NGE the game was losing 10k subs a month, so even then things werent as great as alot of people tend to remember.
I loved the crafting and the player-economy! It was one of the only games to make "playing a merchant" viable and feel rewarding.

I read Rubenfield's article too. Interesting (one of the commenters saying that SWG went from "sandbox to amusement park" seemed fairly apt for my reaction to the changes) . I'll cop to wearing the rose-colored glasses when it comes to early SWG. I recall it fondly because it was one of the earliest MMORPGs I could and did play with local friends. My computer was not awesome back then so the harvesting/crafting/selling aspect being viable/needed for the economy still allowed me to enjoy being there and gave me a reason to go back.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-11-2011, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Once SW:TOR was announced, SWG's end was inevitable.
I thought SWG was dead long ago. Go fig.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-24-2011, 03:26 PM
There really has not been another Sandbox like SWG, I do miss some of the good times to be had there. But in the end it was no where near what it was. I may resub to see it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
It sucked, no doubt. However the game lasted 5/6 years after the NGE, so some people obviously stuck around. Either way, at the rate the game was bleeding subs before the NGE it probably wouldnt have been around any longer than it has turned out to be.
The CU was the first slap that chased the first bunch of players off, JTL (lame expansion name ever) brought some back, then the NGE was the killing blow for most of the originals. Most of the players that are left today are new subs that liked the easy mode game play that NGE gave. There are some vets still, but not many that was there for the Holo-grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm a little surprised.

Pretty much, the only MMOs historically to shut down were bankrupt at launch; the only exception I can think of being Matrix Online.

MMOs are still young enough that even the flops or disappointments aren't at much risk of outright dying.

Glad I didn't pick up an extended Station Pass when DCU came out. The value of that just dropped. And I'd been saying I thought Cryptic should look into a Station Pass type model for its games too.

Yeah even Meridan 59 still has one server up and going, and there are still people even playing UO as well. The first MMO I ever saw shut down was Earth and Beyond, but that game was a dud in beta.... there there was AC2.... sigh.