Lt. Commander
Hey guys, I finished this mission a few weeks ago now but to my utter surprise it really seems to be taking off as far as number of reviews and overall rating, so I wanted to make a thread in this section to keep track of any feedback from you guys. I made a thread in the other "Discussion" forum before the subforums got separated, and it quickly got buried!

Basically, in this mission I try to do some crazy things with the respawn mechanic in order to advance the story. It's pretty experimental, and I do hear rare reports of people breaking the mission in a few certain places, but by and large it seems to be working pretty well.

So, if you give it a shot, please let me know what you thought of it. I'm mostly interested in things I can do to make the mission seem more polished and stuff like that. And of course, if you manage to break it, I'm interested in hearing how you did it! The foundry's limited as we all know, but I'm always game to try and tweak things.

"First Cause, Then Effect"
by RogueEnterprise
Starfleet, any level
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
Hey guys, I finished this mission a few weeks ago now but to my utter surprise it really seems to be taking off as far as number of reviews and overall rating, so I wanted to make a thread in this section to keep track of any feedback from you guys. I made a thread in the other "Discussion" forum before the subforums got separated, and it quickly got buried!

Basically, in this mission I try to do some crazy things with the respawn mechanic in order to advance the story. It's pretty experimental, and I do hear rare reports of people breaking the mission in a few certain places, but by and large it seems to be working pretty well.

So, if you give it a shot, please let me know what you thought of it. I'm mostly interested in things I can do to make the mission seem more polished and stuff like that. And of course, if you manage to break it, I'm interested in hearing how you did it! The foundry's limited as we all know, but I'm always game to try and tweak things.

"First Cause, Then Effect"
by RogueEnterprise
Starfleet, any level
I played it about a week ago, It worked fine for me. Kudos on the good work /tiphat
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Rogue,

It has taken off like a bottle rocket thrown in a campfire . As the initial reviewer (5 star), everything worked fine and I was glad to start the snowball effect. It is a great mission and a lot of fun. Looking forward to your next creation.

Duke-of-Rock
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks Duke, I'm fairly sure that most of the success of this mish is due to your initial favorable review, and you're definitely not afraid to talk positive.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey everyone, just a note that this mission survived the republishing process and pretty much still works at this time. I think it's showing on the default first page of foundry missions these days too. So if you have any feedback please leave it in this thread!
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Enjoyed it thoroughly. You definitely got a review from me. I was that guy who didn't care for how closely it resembled TNG's episode which you referenced in the mission, but that's a personal opinion which honestly shouldn't even be considered here when reviewing this mission. I get that you were going for some sort of homage.

Regardless it was stellar work, great bit of programming, very good pacing of the story itself. Every time I've played a foundry mission where space combat and interactions advance the story as oppose to wasting my time (like most cryptic missions feel to me) I'm absolutely blown away probably because it's just so unfamiliar in the first place (to me personally) inside of STO, but you did well at throwing me curve balls with what I was supposed to expect (round 2, the shuttle craft... with me anticipating an edge on the battle only to have a complication arise heh).

I loved how a few minor changes to the scene each time around made it feel completely different each time and far from repetitive.

The Ground mission in the shuttle bay was a little less than intuitive, I kinda had to press my toon up against the corner of the force field in order for the mission to register that I had indeed seen the Ensign, but after I got it there, I remember thinking to myself, 'oh. That makes sense. I absolutely have to be at an angle to see him just like it says on the mission dialogue box, but not in so many words.' I kinda felt like that was both intuitive and anti-intuitive at the same time, which is an odd thing to feel. Intuitive because it made sense, anti-intuitive because most missions on STO aren't as particular about that kind of detail. So kudos on that level of attention to said detail.

I don't have any critique on dialogue, I was on the phone at the time so I was skimming and keeping track of your highlighted sentences.

Great job!
Lt. Commander
# 7 glitch or complete?
09-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I seem to be up to "No more chances" but all I seem to be able to do is to enter again and start from scratch. (Unless it is another "effect" of the mission.)

Any direction is appreciated.

BTW, I'm basically a noob, so it may be user error as well.

Otherwise, my first user-created content and it was enjoyable. I may have a note for you but I'd rather wait until I know I finished it as you intended.

GJ!
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef7 View Post
I seem to be up to "No more chances" but all I seem to be able to do is to enter again and start from scratch. (Unless it is another "effect" of the mission.)
Hi Josef, thanks for playing!

When you say start from scratch, did you disconnect and reconnect from the mission? Unfortunately it seems that once you log out for an extended time and attempt to continue the mission again it ends up booting you to the start of the mission, and in order to progress you must trigger the last objective on the map in order to continue forward (usually a reach marker). It's an unfortunate aspect of missions that unfortunately I don't have control over.

You can either try and find the marker so you can zip through the maps quickly in order to get to the last map you were on, or drop the mission and restart it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
This was a very impressive mission making excellent use of a traditional science fiction storyline. The writing for the plot, bridge officers and original characters was excellent, and the investigation phase was very well executed. I enjoyed it thoroughly!

If I had to criticize something, it would be the interior of the Councillor's ship - it would seem to be a very strange shape from the inside! It didn't really detract from the mission though, and until Cryptic give us more parts and tools to build ship interiors there isn't very much that can be done. In some respects while the space looked a little odd it worked well for running about investigating and fixing stuff.

Note to Cryptic: Please also allow us to choose what animations to use when transitioning from map to map (Warp/Transwarp/Instant for space and Beam/Instant for ground).

Well done, RogueEnterprise and thank you for taking the time to put it together for us!
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I had a similar problem with the bounding box for "to the end..." but it eventually let me into the box near the asteroid. Might just want to make it a bit bigger.

The problem I had was that I uh....accidentally killed all the Klingon ships without dying/getting below about 35% hull integrity. So, I couldn't progress through the mission.