Lt. Commander
Hey guys,

What is your opinion of what the recharge time should be for the Intrepid's Ablative Armor ability?

For reference, it currently is set at 3 minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Hey guys,

What is your opinion of what the recharge time should be for the Intrepid's Ablative Armor ability?

For reference, it currently is set at 3 minutes.
I think that it is pretty fair and in line with other abilities
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfelczer View Post
I think that it is pretty fair and in line with other abilities
agreed. compaired to other its right in line already, not really a reason to mess with it.

it isnt broke, so dont fix it.

too many other issues that need attention first.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
3 min is too long, a 2 minute timer seems more appropriate for such a short duration. I've found I hold off using this power when I could use it just because I don't want to waste such a long recharge (especially against other sci ships). Against borg encounters this power is fairly useful when I actually use it to heal myself the long reuse makes it not practical to rely on. I'd rather have a power that is something I can use all the time instead of just once in a while.

I really think there should be a buff to torpedoes while the ablative shield is up, making it more viable to use. In Voyager, a volley of three transphasic torps while the ablative shielding was up blew up a borg cube. I'm not saying make it that powerful, but a torp damage buff would be in line with cannon and make this power far more useful. At least that would make it worth a 3 min timer.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see it a toggle-able. Of course that means nerfing the bonuses it grants, but i just think it makes more sense. I just seems odd that you would deploy this armor and only have it out for a few seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbain View Post
3 min is too long, a 2 minute timer seems more appropriate for such a short duration. I've found I hold off using this power when I could use it just because I don't want to waste such a long recharge (especially against other sci ships). Against borg encounters this power is fairly useful when I actually use it to heal myself the long reuse makes it not practical to rely on. I'd rather have a power that is something I can use all the time instead of just once in a while.

I really think there should be a buff to torpedoes while the ablative shield is up, making it more viable to use. In Voyager, a volley of three transphasic torps while the ablative shielding was up blew up a borg cube. I'm not saying make it that powerful, but a torp damage buff would be in line with cannon and make this power far more useful. At least that would make it worth a 3 min timer.
Well the transphasics themselves need some adjusting, they are suppose to be able to pwn borg but quantums still hit harder then them, well when hitting the hull.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
3 minutes for 15 sec is not a fair ratio.
if the recharge is going to be that long the duration should be longer than that. or the duration should be at the players choosing like the galaxy R or the defiant. with unlimited duration.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-08-2011, 06:20 AM
In PvE I've only ever used it once and don't really see a need to use it. As a VA Science Officer, I've got plenty of other generally more useful "emergency use" powers filling up my trays. If I get a chance to spam a bunch of those, I normally don't die, period.

PvP would be a whole other ball of wax, of course.

Thing is, I don't see it useful as a damage soak in PvP. Anyone who recognizes it is simply going to concentrate fire elsewhere, which means bad news for the rest of your team and also for you once AA has run out and they can concentrate on you again.

As it stands, AA should be used as one part of a tactical solution. If it's being used only as a "Use In Emergency" button, then it's only a 15 second respite for getting back up to fighting trim and the cooldown means you don't get to use it that often. That's not a bad thing, but couldn't it be used more effectively? I can think of some other possibilities for temporary invulnerability that might actually give you an advantage instead of just removing disadvantages.

I'll have to play around with some tactics if I get a chance.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Isn't Ablative armor supposed to be, er, ablative?
According to teh Wikipedia
link ablative armor
Quote:
-Ablative armor is armor designed to negate damage by itself being damaged or destroyed through the process of ablation. In contemporary spacecraft, ablative plating is most frequently seen as an ablative heat shield for a vehicle that must enter atmosphere from orbit, such as on nuclear warheads, or space vehicles like the Mars Pathfinder probe. The idea is also commonly encountered in science fiction
so instead of invulnerability, why not give the armor a hull point value, after which its gone until the cool down is over? you know, make it ablative?,instead of Godmode
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-08-2011, 06:57 AM
i would like to see the power reworked so that its a toggle like the MVAM, then with a 3 or 4 minute cooldown after use, but you can leave it on for as long as you like. The power would increase defence but lower damage output or something like that.

if thats not going to happen, then i say lower the cooldown slighly to about 2.30.
Closed Thread