Lt. Commander
I'm not talking about teaming. I'm talking about when someone sends you an invite to join their SG or whatever they call it here. I was trying to learn this game and I had someone named [removed] sending sg invites to everyone online at the time. Can stop these type of invites till I learn the game. I'd like to team but not join other groups permanently.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Guilds are known as "fleets" in STO. There is no cost to join, and you can leave anytime. That said, I would be very hesitant to join one from someone who is randomly sending invites. You can always "ignore" someone by right-clicking their name, and select "ignore player". Then, you will no longer receive anything from that player, be it messages, chat posts, or invites.

Some benefits of joining a fleet (if you decide to join one at some point) would be
1) Having other people that you know to team up with.
2) Getting help with questions, learning the game, or builds
3) Fleet bank/gear
4) Additional uniform slot (which doesn't HAVE TO be used for a fleet uniform)

There are plenty of fleets to choose from in this sub-forum. I, of course, am partial to the 44th (shameless plug here). We are small close-knit casual fleet, and we never send random invites. startrek.44thfleet.com if you want to check us out.

btw, I believe that naming individual handles on the forums is against forum rules. Ya might want to edit it out before a forum mod sees it. They are pretty strict around here.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Some fleets also have rules about donating to the fleet bank and stuff like that. Fleets are great especially if you get the right one with similar interests. You can also fly solo when you are in a fleet as well. The fleet experience can add a lot more fun to the game however, I have found some that make you feel like just a number. Kind of like people that invite 100 people and then hope that some stay. Not a great way to build a social group

Good luck and make sure you edit that name out. That way people can add information in here for you and others that have the sane questions

Mark (aka James Bailey)
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Guilds are known as "fleets" in STO. There is no cost to join, and you can leave anytime. That said, I would be very hesitant to join one from someone who is randomly sending invites. You can always "ignore" someone by right-clicking their name, and select "ignore player". Then, you will no longer receive anything from that player, be it messages, chat posts, or invites.

Some benefits of joining a fleet (if you decide to join one at some point) would be
1) Having other people that you know to team up with.
2) Getting help with questions, learning the game, or builds
3) Fleet bank/gear
4) Additional uniform slot (which doesn't HAVE TO be used for a fleet uniform)

There are plenty of fleets to choose from in this sub-forum. I, of course, am partial to the 44th (shameless plug here). We are small close-knit casual fleet, and we never send random invites. startrek.44thfleet.com if you want to check us out.

btw, I believe that naming individual handles on the forums is against forum rules. Ya might want to edit it out before a forum mod sees it. They are pretty strict around here.
Thanks I have edited my comments. I really asked this question for this reason. In COH, everytime someone adds you to an SG, they get points. So they spam new people because they don't understand the rules completely. I was wondering if this was the case here too?

I think a fleet might be right for me in the future but I have to understand this game first. My session was very good yesterday except for that event. I was disconnected only once too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-18-2011, 08:18 AM
No cost to join a fleet, no cost to start one.....and they are a dime a dozen, some are alive, and some are not....choose wisely...

I will not ask you to join anything, but if you need advice on playing just pm me, and I'll help when i can.
Lt. Commander
Hello ResidentX. The 48th Defense Fleet, The Warpigs enjoys helping any STO players new and old to learn STO and are more than happy to assist you in any way we can.

Please don't hesitate to look up any of our fleet members in game for any assistance you may need.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Safe flying to you!