Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Hi,

I am a little bit confused about the info text of any speac-antiproton-weapon which says, that Antiprotons have a chance to penetrate schields...

Is that really so?

Lg,
tomixxx
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
It used to be way back when, but that was changed.

Antiprotons now have an innate CrtD bonus as their proc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-23-2011, 05:00 PM
The proc is for additional criticals. Whether that means penetrating shields or not i don't know. Cause I've seen critical hits as low as 5 but as big as 102,000.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah, the AP shield-bypass was removed shortly after they were introduced to the game when it was realized how overpowered they were in PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Quite honestly I don't think AP ever by passed shields after beta. Some people believed they did due to Poor game documentation... in fact I think a year after launch the tool tips still mentioned shield by pass. lol

The only advantage they have is one extra CritD..... personally I find them pointless. You are stuck with the emblem ones which don't have ideal mods... and no proc at all, considering how easy it is to perma proc a target in this game it seems silly to abandon a proc for a 9k crit instead of a 7.5k crit. When you can use weapons like the Polaron CritHx2 Dmg... to literally hit 30% more crits. I'll take 10 crits at 7.5k or 7500 dmg over 7 crits at 9k for 6300k...... and you still get to land some procs as a nice little cherry.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Quite honestly I don't think AP ever by passed shields after beta. Some people believed they did due to Poor game documentation... in fact I think a year after launch the tool tips still mentioned shield by pass. lol

The only advantage they have is one extra CritD..... personally I find them pointless. You are stuck with the emblem ones which don't have ideal mods... and no proc at all, considering how easy it is to perma proc a target in this game it seems silly to abandon a proc for a 9k crit instead of a 7.5k crit. When you can use weapons like the Polaron CritHx2 Dmg... to literally hit 30% more crits. I'll take 10 crits at 7.5k or 7500 dmg over 7 crits at 9k for 6300k...... and you still get to land some procs as a nice little cherry.
I totally agree, the +20 severity is pointless and it doesnt make Anti proton a single bit better then lets say phasers, (Which are even better imho.)

Another thing you should consider with AP is that I never see any AP weapons you can buy with all but the same crap modifiers, which is in my oppinion much more important then the proc of a weapon. (Its mostly emblem quality (I think the Mark of Exploration Mk X ones are even better )

I think Ill keep myself with my Purple Weaps and Accuracy :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-23-2011, 08:13 PM
After realizing what accuracy does and how the accuracy vs defense thing works out (thanks BigRedJedi/Goomba), I have gone full circle all the way back to Antiprotons, because theyre simply the best ones.

The CrtH bonus isnt as much of an improvement as I thought it was. Previously I was running CrtH x3 phaser heavy cannons. They were good, dont get me wrong. But your Crt Chance is actually a lot higher than what it says in your attack menu. Qaw said it goes from 7% to 10% and is a 30% chance, i dont think thats right. I think its more like a 17% to 20% (not sure of actual numbers, as it depends on your acc and their defense) due to accuracy, which is only a 15% increase. This essentially halves the original perceived value of the CrtH's.

I levelled up a whole new joined trill that copied my Phaser Bird, except I put antiprotons mk xi Acc CrtD Dmg on. It does way better (ask a certain excel that posts on here that I hit for 16k with a single cannon shot). These cannons are the best cannons in the game imo - it offers versatility with the accuracy trait, and has tremendous critical hit damage on with APA. I could go CrtD x2 Dmg which is 70% Crit Sev instead of 55% on the ones above (you get 5% CrtD for every 10% accuracy + 50 CrtD), but i lose the 1.25% CrtH and theyre not as good when the target is moving.

My ideal cannon would be antiproton Mk Xi Acc CrtD x2, but damage is ok as it still buffs the hits a bit.

Anyways, take it as you will.