Lt. Commander
# 1 VA - now what?
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Recently I hit VA with my char. I've completed all story missions but now I'm pretty clueless what to do next. Currently, when I log in with my VA, I usually log out a few mins later, because I simply don't know what to do...

I never played STFs. Since I feel somewhat uneasy to go with a random group, because I'm pretty unexperienced, I joined a fleet yesterday. We'll see, how that turns out. Nevertheless, I don't think that I'll be playing STFs all day long. There must be something other to do as VA too...

I also started a new char, but I'm only playing him together with another friend, so we can do the same missions together and we both always have the same level. (Yes, I know, I can adjust my level, but it's more fun, if I don't have to repeat the missions, just because we want to play together).
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Roll a Klink and see how the other 15% live.

Do Dailies and grind Emblems until you have every awesome piece of equipment and all the ships.

Get your Diplomacy maxed.

Do STF's with your new fleet.

Try to find out all the little secrets in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-03-2011, 12:21 AM
I take it the VA char you're talking about is your main.

Usually there are a few elements of the game that people tend to neglect while leveling characters.
  • Diplomacy:
    • Leveling your character in Diplomatic expirience is sort of a grind, but still well worth it. The Transwarp abilities alone make it worth the efford:
      • Transwarp to ESD (You already have this),
      • Transwarp to K7,
      • Transwarp to Starbase 39 (Sierra),
      • Transwarp to DS9.

Having theese is a huge time saver, and you get a free uniform and a Orion sla... Orion exchange officer (or another KDF species).
    • To find your current progress, click on the bar, indicating your progrees, and in the dialouge that appears, theres a tab for DXP.
    • When the Duty Officer system is released, you're gonna need either freinds who are DXP maxed, or be maxed yourself, so you can get access to the Klingon sector.
    • Some storyline missions give DXP and apart from thoose missions that provide DXP are:
      • Discover Ships fate (When No combat included)
      • Aid the Planet
      • Scan 5 <mineralName> (When no combat included)
      Apart from that there are:
      • 5 Missions at memory alpha
      • 1 Mission at Vulcan
      • 1 Mission at Bajor
      • 1 MIssion at Starbase Sierra
  • Reshearch
    • Leveling your reshearch skill is worth it... You gain access to high end gear wich helps you with other stuff at endgame.
    • The Only way to produce the Aegis set as well. And sell it... for EC
      Probably the most tiresome process in the game, but dispite the grind, I think it is worth it.
  • Accolades
    Accolades seem unnessacary as they are merely nice little badges right? No nonono...
    • In some cases Accolades provide small damage resist bonusses to specific enemy types and/or weapons type in space and on ground. Well worth getting them.
  • STF's:
    • Infected
      Provides the Borg Sub Transwarp engine. Gives you a speed boost in sector space (warp 13 as opposed to the normal 9.8)
    • The Cure
      Provides the Borg Graviton Deflector Array.
    • Khitomer Accord
      Provides the Borg Regenerative shield array.
    • Combined with the Borg console from the Assimilation mission, the above give you a complete Borg set, wich not only provides you with a neat looking ship, but a free tractorbeam as well
  • Emblem Grind:
    Grinding emblems... sigh... For theese little suckers you can get all dressed up in the most fancy stuff currently out there.
    • With Emblems you can get Very Rare weapons, wich now with Season4 have a 15% DPS boost over common weapons, giving you a heads up on others.
    • You can also get yourself Rare Mk XI consoles, greatly enhancing your ship.
  • Fine Tuning your build
    Some may ask: what does it matterī? From my perspective, finetuning your ship makes alot of diffrence. I find that most of my gaming expirience has been enhanced since I've done this. PvP and PvE alike, as I have a easier time on elite.

That is a rough overview of what I did when I hit VA.

True, most of it is a grind, but I find that this is a good way to use the content drought currently in place. Doing the above will give you a advantage over the players who have not spend time doing this, and it will keep you somewhat busy for some time.

EDIT: Right... You can make a KDF char... Leveling over there is fun and easy. Took me less time than leveling any of my Fed Chars. Finding missions and locations over there is also much more simple.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-03-2011, 12:30 AM
I highly recommend the STF's. When i hit VA, i was a little apprehensive on doing them as well, but more often than not i get a lot of good to great PUG's.
If it is your first time through, make sure you listen to the people with the expertise and you will have no issues and get some cool borg gear.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-03-2011, 12:37 AM
There are also missions made by other players available and if you take daily mission (investigate officer reports, if I remember correctly) and complete three player made mission you get reward.

P.S. I'm writing this out of memory as my client is patching and I can't check that at the moment. Feel free to correct if necessary.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Right... You can make a KDF char... Leveling over there is fun and easy. Took me less time than leveling any of my Fed Chars. Finding missions and locations over there is also much more simple.
I am assuming that is a bit of a tongue in cheek joke right? Sure it is easy to find your mission spot for the KDF... Next Nebula on the Right... All the way to Lt. General. Talk about a grind. When you DO get REAL Klink missions though at least they are epic and awesome.

I did forget to mention that Cryptic has said that they are working hard to get rid of the current content drought. So one thing you will be able to do once they get that accomplished is play all the new weekly episodes they will be releasing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
Next Nebula on the Right... All the way to Lt. General. .
HAHAHAHAHA,
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
I am assuming that is a bit of a tongue in cheek joke right? Sure it is easy to find your mission spot for the KDF... Next Nebula on the Right... All the way to Lt. General. Talk about a grind. When you DO get REAL Klink missions though at least they are epic and awesome.
No... not joking at all... I leveld my KDF char faster than any of my other chars... Took me ~2 weeks less than any of my other chars.

So no... I find that leveling KDF side was more than simple, and by no means uninterresting.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Try PvP. I would, whatever you do, suggest looking for a fleet compatible with your interests and time zone. This will give you a venue to do STFs with others (possibly people that can guide you), you can do PvP with friends which is always more fun and also usually more successful (as least once you figured out what really works and what doesn't.) You might also get more advice for good Foundry missions to try and do some other events, like doing a Fleet Action together.

Leveling an alt is also something nice to do. I think you should have played every character class at least once, and you need a KDF character as well (possibly also from all 3 classes).

If you are not sure what kind of Fleet to join but are interested in PvP, the OrganizedPvP chat channel is pretty nice, too, I am not sure if there are other public channels that are also built around common interests.

Or you can just decide to let go for a while and come back later when there is more to do. Supposedly, the "real" endgame is yet to come, possibly with Season 5 We'll see.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
No... not joking at all... I leveld my KDF char faster than any of my other chars... Took me ~2 weeks less than any of my other chars.

So no... I find that leveling KDF side was more than simple, and by no means uninterresting.
Would you consider posting a guide explaining your leveling methods?

I'm sure many people (myself included) would appreciate it. I have tried to start Klink characters, but the idea of either doing exploration missions over and over or entering often empty PvP zones was enough to drive me off.