Lt. Commander
# 1 Sector Space: STUPID HELMSMAN!
08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Why is it that, when you're using Auto-travel in Sector Space and you need to avoid another ship, you always turn left, even when the person you want to avoid is to the left of you?

Stupid helmsman, I said RIGHT TURN! RIGHT TURN! ~crash~
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Ice
Why is it that, when you're using Auto-travel in Sector Space and you need to avoid another ship, you always turn left, even when the person you want to avoid is to the left of you?

Stupid helmsman, I said RIGHT TURN! RIGHT TURN! ~crash~
Personally, I get annoyed when I set autopilot for a destination that only requires a 90 degree turn and my helmsman executes a perfect 270 degree turn in the opposite direction.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr1580 View Post
Personally, I get annoyed when I set autopilot for a destination that only requires a 90 degree turn and my helmsman executes a perfect 270 degree turn in the opposite direction.
This, too. Why do I turn right if I need to turn left, and turn left when I need to turn right?
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
In addition to this, I notice that a lot of times I will set a course and my helmsman will fly me directly at the Popsicle stick beneath a system, instead of to the system itself, causing me to have to fly in circles upward to get to a place where I can actually click to Enter.

There are still a lot of little annoyances in Sector Space. Icons that seem to signify multiple things. Icons that seem to signify nothing. No way to properly chart a course, just straight line directions and nothing more.

They'll get these things enhanced and fixed eventually, but you've got to know they are not a high priority.

Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2011, 02:45 PM
It would also be nice instead of flying towards the center point of the sector space border that it goes to the nearest straight line point since that will get me there faster.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2011, 02:58 PM
A few more. Plot a course to Sol and your helm will ensure you wander to close to the delta cluster. This of course brings you to a stop.

Helm: Do you wish to enter Delta?
Me: /em facepalm No I said Sol! You know that place Star Fleet supposedly taught you how to pilot this ship?

Of course helm doesn't always loop far left around obstacles. No sometimes my helm prefers to plow my ship into a star at Warp 9.96

*after crashing*
Helm: We are here!
Me: You are so fired.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr1580 View Post
agreed.

on a grander scale though I wish we could just tell our helmsman which sector block we wanted to go to and you could go there without further input. Like say Psi Velorum to Eta Erandi going through a few sector borders
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMullins View Post
agreed.

on a grander scale though I wish we could just tell our helmsman which sector block we wanted to go to and you could go there without further input. Like say Psi Velorum to Eta Erandi going through a few sector borders
Sector borders may be going away. That could become possible then.

Considered for Season 5

* One sector map to rule them all (eliminating sector walls entirely)
From engineering report:
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Sector borders may be going away. That could become possible then.

Considered for Season 5

* One sector map to rule them all (eliminating sector walls entirely)
From engineering report:
This wouldn't fix the problem. It just makes it easier to travel between places.

Of course, this means that we'll get ANOTHER new Diplomatic Immunity, since the current one allows you to go to Omega Leonis.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Ice
This wouldn't fix the problem. It just makes it easier to travel between places.

Of course, this means that we'll get ANOTHER new Diplomatic Immunity, since the current one allows you to go to Omega Leonis.
It may make it to where at least you don't mid so much. With the sectors one big map and no DSE agro you could essentially set you destination and go grab a coke or something. There, now if your helm goes all mental along the way you wont care so long as your ship makes it to it's destination before you return.

Only aggravation i can think of is coming back to see your Ten Forward 4 sections deep in a star 40 light years from where you wanted to be.