Lt. Commander
# 1 Map-based dialogs
08-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Hi, I'm new.

I bought a month's subscription mainly to see what the foundry is like. I'm pretty sure everything I find I'm missing is already listed on a wish list somewhere, because it's really basic stuff. Anyway, some questions:

Map Dialogs - as in, the dialog trees that you place on a map, rather than on the story objectives flow chart:
Is there a way to initiate them more than once? From what I understand so far, you choose what component or objective activates them, and then when that component or objective is met/active/whatever, the dialog launches - and when completed, it stays complete and can't be reset/relaunched. With the ones that are hooked to NPC contacts, you can just talk to them again... but only the map-based ones are able to use the 'dialog reached' type conditionals on their buttons.

And why is the editor having us put dialog trees on the map? Does their physical location have any kind of effect?

Why is it that only the map-based dialog trees can have 'dialog reached' conditionals on their buttons?

Lastly, using these conditionals one could conceivably create multiple paths to completing an objective (by using dialogs as locks that can accept more than one type of key, and as the keys themselves). Are there any other methods for optional objectives that are recommended?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munrock
Hi, I'm new.

I bought a month's subscription mainly to see what the foundry is like. I'm pretty sure everything I find I'm missing is already listed on a wish list somewhere, because it's really basic stuff. Anyway, some questions:

Map Dialogs - as in, the dialog trees that you place on a map, rather than on the story objectives flow chart:
Is there a way to initiate them more than once? From what I understand so far, you choose what component or objective activates them, and then when that component or objective is met/active/whatever, the dialog launches - and when completed, it stays complete and can't be reset/relaunched. With the ones that are hooked to NPC contacts, you can just talk to them again... but only the map-based ones are able to use the 'dialog reached' type conditionals on their buttons.

And why is the editor having us put dialog trees on the map? Does their physical location have any kind of effect?

Why is it that only the map-based dialog trees can have 'dialog reached' conditionals on their buttons?

Lastly, using these conditionals one could conceivably create multiple paths to completing an objective (by using dialogs as locks that can accept more than one type of key, and as the keys themselves). Are there any other methods for optional objectives that are recommended?
As to the main question, one way to initiate a dialog tree more than one is to click the box on the npc's general tab that says "has default text." That is a talk that can be had over and over again, and it can change according to triggers. The buttons and the responses of the npc can be hidden or visible depending on the trigger.

So you could make a character say something like "no, that's not what I need," as you go around the map trying to find what he wants. Then, when you completed the component or made the right dialogue choice with another character, etc., the npc's default text will change, continue, etc.

Is there something specific that you're trying to do?

Also, the location of the blue text bubbles doesn't seem to matter, but they are on the map to help with triggers, since all of the triggers have visual locations on the map.

I'm not sure why dialog prompt reached is only tied into the blue map based dialogs. Maybe they'll expand the functionality.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munrock
Hi, I'm new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Also, the location of the blue text bubbles doesn't seem to matter, but they are on the map to help with triggers, since all of the triggers have visual locations on the map.

I'm not sure why dialog prompt reached is only tied into the blue map based dialogs. Maybe they'll expand the functionality.
Yeah, as Kirkfat says, when you place them on a map, they have slightly more trigger options than the ones you place in the story flowchart - because they have a map associated with them, you are able to pick objects from the map they are on to use as component complete triggers in the dialog prompts for example.

You also set the things to become visible or hidden with the component complete trigger and choosing the map bubble as the component. Because they are on the map, they are classified as objects, and hence you can pick them when it offers you a list of available components to use for the trigger.

I certainly hope that they plan to expand the new dialog prompt triggers to work with NPC dialogs and also the story flowchart dialogs. It seems a waste to just have them working with the map bubbles. We could do so much more if we could use any dialog prompts from the mission as triggers, even ones on other maps.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
We could do so much more if we could use any dialog prompts from the mission as triggers, even ones on other maps.
You mean you can't refer to dialogs from other maps in the same project?

I've been working on a project where the player's away team visits a damaged ship to help with repairs. Most of the repairs are optional, and you don't have time for them all. In the next space map, the player defends the repaired ship and events are influenced by what repairs were made.

I spent a good few hours rigging interdependencies in the dialogs and dancing around the system's limitations to make the first bit work, but it's all been pointless if the second map can't access the first map's dialog triggers.

I shoulda just made a scan 5, shoot 5 map.

Thanks for the help though, guys!