Lt. Commander
# 1 Sharing Assets
08-10-2011, 09:31 AM
1. Specifically, is an asset sharing system:
a) supported/made possible by the foundry software, and
b) actively employed by the community here or elsewhere?

2. If 1a = yes and 1b = no, is anyone interested in getting one started?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munrock
1. Specifically, is an asset sharing system:
a) supported/made possible by the foundry software, and
b) actively employed by the community here or elsewhere?

2. If 1a = yes and 1b = no, is anyone interested in getting one started?

We're doing this at starbaseugc.com by sharing pdfs of sets that contain the x, y, z values and rotation degrees of every object on the map. It's a clunky way of doing it, and there are some versions of a tool that makes importing, exporting, and sharing easier. However, Cryptic doesn't like this tool.

So, we're doing this by sharing pdfs, which required authors to go object by object, manually editing the x, y, z, etc.

For examples of how we're doing this, please click my sig and look for asset posts.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look.

So the foundry doesn't support import/export and Cryptic doesn't endorse a third party tool that does?

I don't blame them. I bet there's a corporate I.P. lawyer in there somewhere nailing their hands to their desks.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munrock
Thanks, I'll take a look.

So the foundry doesn't support import/export and Cryptic doesn't endorse a third party tool that does?

I don't blame them. I bet there's a corporate I.P. lawyer in there somewhere nailing their hands to their desks.
right, although they never made a direct statement on it, if I remember correctly.

What is frustrating is that they also never really recognized the need to create a simple tool like this for foundry authors. All we need is something saves a map as a file, and when the file is loaded, it tells the foundry, "hey load these specific items from the library with these specific coordinates and values."

I can't see how making a tool like that is complicated.

Anyways, we're instead making spreadsheets and pdfs for sets, like a sickbay.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I think they (cryptic) said they didnt want to do importing/exporting because there may be additional information, hidden or otherwise, in an export that could cause problems in a subsequent import if that specific item/object/reference is no longer available.

It wouldn't be extremely difficult for the import/export process to actually define a minimum set of values that would aid in sharing of resources, but I'd guess it just isnt high enough priority for now.
Shame.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah it doesn't sound difficult at all... nothing some decent error handling can't solve.

The PDFs thing sounds like the best way given the means, but honestly the tools should be better. It makes me appreciate the foundry missions I've played more, though. People are making completed pieces of art with an incomplete tool.