Lt. Commander
# 1 More PvP Ranting
08-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Yesterday was a bad PvP day. I usually PUG since my fleet isn't too PvP heavy and if my PUG goes uip against another PUG its usually fairly even, sometimes not, and I almost always have some fun. But when my PUG goes up against a pre-made fleet team the fun stops abruptly. I know some will say that I need to join a PvP fleet and stop my whining but that really doesnt alleviate the problem at hand.

That problem is the sad state of what Cryptic calls PvP. It's been said a million times but it bears repeating, after all if we talk about it enough hopefully Cryptic will start to throw a few more resources at PvP. My main problem with PvP, other than the lack of game types and map variety, is the que system. Fact is not every PvP'er is a hardcore PvP'er. Some of us are casual PvP'rs. We like to log on and jump into a few matches get killed a few times kill a few people and just relax a bit. Others love the notion of setting up a team thinking about tactics and team synergy and thats great. But when I log on to run a few casual matches I dont want to have to go up against that team that spent days perfecting their team build are on TS coordinating things and keep track of every stat in order to debrief and improve after the match. It's not fun for me and I can't imagine that it's all that much fun for the other team.

If you wanna do PvP right in an instanced based MMO look to Guild Wars. Their PvP system was outstanding. Their PvP system was parced out so that no matter what your prefferred PvP flavor there was a match for you. Want to go hardcore PvP and test your skills well then GvG and Team Arenas were for you. How about casual players well random arenas and Faction battles were for you. The main point was that the two were segregated and neither ruined the experience for the other. Another thing Guil Wars had was PvP variety. From standard arena fight to cap and hold to assault and defend and territory control there was always something to do if you got tired of one type of PvP.

Before I get a ton of flamers yelling for me to go the hell back to Guild wars if I love their PvP so much all I have to say to that is no. I do love GW and I still play it from time to time but I also love STO, and sometimes I just want to blow up other ships and fly around space as opposed to casting spells and running around a forest. So I implore Cryptic to take a look at Guild Wars PvP and see about implementing a little of that into STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-25-2011, 10:39 AM
It has been voiced here before, and I agree provided we have the population to support it, that the queues could do with a ranking system.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
It seems to me that Cryptic has to create some infrastructure for this, and then hope that it will attract enough PvPers so that it works. Spliting the PVP Queues can be problematic otherwise.

But as a minimum, a leaderboard system that tracks wins and losses could help gauge a players experience and skill level, and could be used to build PvP teams that are "reasonable".
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-25-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm of the mind that the first thing they need to do and fast is a split between team matches and random matches. The biggest problem with PvP other than lack of map content is the issue of pre-made teams going up against pugs. Lack of maps is annoying, lack of game types is annoying but being forced to go up against pre-made teams with a pug is a game ruining problem. Hell there are some days I have to give up on PvP all together because a pair of pre-made teams are in the que ruining the experience for anyone who pug's. That issue needs to be solved and fast.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-25-2011, 12:54 PM
The only problem is that the PvP population is already small. It's sort of a chicken-and-egg problem.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Like the others have said the PvP community is very small. 6 months ago not so much, it was small but healthily small but with broken mechanics patch after patch and goofed up things added that affected balance and overall fun the community has been bled dry. What we have is what we have and in a few months could be much less. Really if you want to get your PvP swirve on a PvP type fleet will help you because many share your same sentiment.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-25-2011, 02:41 PM
sounds like you might need to form a pvp faction in your guild then. you sound like you may be great to head that up. you just need like 5-8 guys on everyonce in a while to have the fun and get the team strategy itch scratched.

encourage pvp. its the best way to join in the comradery of this games best players, and push what you think you can do in your build, and with your teams gameplan. more people means more competition, and the "top" players are less likely to be staring at you when you que up.

we are always here for private matches. give a shout if you ever need practice.

and yeah, some sorta ranking system might be cool, i just wouldnt even know how to implement it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-26-2011, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
The only problem is that the PvP population is already small. It's sort of a chicken-and-egg problem.
You cant blame ppl. Lovely cryptic dont do anything to attract ppl to pvp. If they do something its worst than before.

Im not trollig etc. Its the truth.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle-Phoenix View Post
You cant blame ppl. Lovely cryptic dont do anything to attract ppl to pvp. If they do something its worst than before.

Im not trollig etc. Its the truth.
But trolling with the truth is even better

And yes, I understand what he was saying but look at it this way too. If the population was much larger the chances of running into the same premades in the que would be rarer which I think would make all this a moot point.

Its because the pop is so small the run ins with a group of people playing together stands out more then if there was a larger pop.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-26-2011, 02:49 AM
The OP is absolutely right.
And what is to blame for the shrinking pvp player base ? ( i mean besides cryptic bugs and such)
if not this elitistic view on premade fleet teams on the game. " Join a"good" ( exploiting,spamming hell) fleet and you ll see "..BS ! Why cant the casual pvper have fun in this game ?
There should be a a queue differentiation among fleet/premades and pugs.Otherwise in a few months you ll end up seeing nothing but a handfull of premade fleets in pvp in a boring repetitive competition of which team have mastered the latest exploit.