Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground science seems lacking
08-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I can't help but notice that science captains seem to have very limited amounts of offensive play. While tactical officers rule this field, engineers can do very good with the mines and bombs, but science captains get stuck with 1-2 weak over time abilities, and some shield destruction abilities. And over all, damage wise, it's not even worth using these over say... shooting your gun.

Am I missing some super nice kit/captain ability, or are science pretty much stuck as support?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Ground sci is awesome and easy to play. So make sure first if u have the correct traits (ground ofc) like aggressive/creative/soldier etc. 2nd did u check if ur specced into the right points for ground and the kit you'reusing? 3rd use the kit with Gravimetric Shift Exothermic Induction Field (i guess it was) if you want to do some decent damage.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3w
Ground sci is awesome and easy to play. So make sure first if u have the correct traits (ground ofc) like aggressive/creative/soldier etc. 2nd did u check if ur specced into the right points for ground and the kit you'reusing? 3rd use the kit with Gravimetric Shift Exothermic Induction Field (i guess it was) if you want to do some decent damage.
I know they have some damage abilities, but they pale in comparison to tactical and engineering powers.

Engineering: Mines: 5x 250(unbuffed) kinetic damage + Bomb,300 (also unbuffed) kinetic damage, all that can be just dropped on groups of say borg.

VS:

Science: 150ish fire damage (again unbuffed for comparison) + about 5hp/sec (as long as things stand in it)

Call me skeptical, but these don't seem to be on par at ALL.

PS: I don't even need to talk about tactical damage, as really it shows for it's self
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Ye sure eng is really powerfull even unskilled... but if you're going to play ground i would always use my ground character ( including ground specced). For sci acutally it's best if u go for the medic kit or borg/sci kit. You can do dmg with pulsewave + type 3 phaser rifle including Large power cell. That should give you some decent dmg as sci. ( ofc you need some more matches to get used to it but if you know the *know how*, dmg can be done with any tac/sci/eng)
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't think we're on the same page here about what I'm trying to say. I know you can make science workable, and it can do decent damage and keep you alive very well.

However my problem is that the damage on science offensive powers is too low when compared to the powers of a tactical or engineer. And both of those have very nice support skills as well.

I don't see why a tactical captain can hit with grenades for over 400 damage, and does super damage (2000 crits) with guns, while the engineer poops 5 mines doing 300-600 each AOE, and has the orbital strike that does 600 + on non exploit, and all the sience class has is a shield destroyer ability, and a measly 200 fire damage on long cooldown...
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-26-2011, 05:26 PM
It's more indirect damage than direct. For example, sci's have AoE exposes, a variety of slows/disables which should allow you to get more exploit/flanking damage while taking less incoming damage. There's also the resistance decreasing as well which gives a multiplifier effect to your base damage. Not sure if it's changed but there's a ground version of scramble which allows you to still shoot and use other abilities.

I think the bigger problem which you eluded to is the longer cooldown for some Sci offensive skills compared to other carreers or even sci heals. This and fights are shorter, so the time it takes you to disable and then flank you may be killed by another player.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illistar
I don't see why a tactical captain can hit with grenades for over 400 damage, and does super damage (2000 crits) with guns, while the engineer poops 5 mines doing 300-600 each AOE, and has the orbital strike that does 600 + on non exploit, and all the sience class has is a shield destroyer ability, and a measly 200 fire damage on long cooldown...
It's mostly because back before Season 4, none of these imbalances were all that noticeable due to all ground combat being so marginalized.

Add to that the development team's 2 year track record with being unable to properly balance space combat abilities and you'll see the pattern.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
as someone who has a main science character, I can safely say that the point of science captains is not damage or hard tanking, but the other stuff that oftentimes gets ignored till its too late.

Stuff like the medic kit are the more visible forms of this, since, well, they heal!

The Physicist kit is where more of the fun is at. Ability to apply AoE holds combined with AoE DoT means you have a potential target or targets locked down, unable to get away, open to attack by others. Lets not forget the damage debuff given by Tricorder Scan, along with the many other abilities a science captain has.

The trick is in not focusing on your own character's performance ,but rather the entire team's performance and how you can improve it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Catian sci with pounce.

#1 - Max all the ground aggressive skills.

#2 - Get Physicist Mk X Very Rare.

#3 - When attacking use first the "ranged" skills, then Pounce into the group using the sci-specific skill which does "Placate" and "10% chance of expose" (Then they wont target you) - Finish them off with Sonic pulse. No guns used...

Remember to Scan them or use Dampening field = Enhances the damage.
If you want a preview on how a sci can kill, hook me up ingame and i'd be happy to show you
@Thiil

Aggressive sci's really rock !
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Leveling my SciBoP recently, I'm ashamed to say that I actually enjoyed playing my first sci character on the ground. She wasn't as squishy as my tacs, and not boring like my eng. The analyst kit is fun. The gas is a great area debuffer, sonic pulse is a great defense when getting mobbed, tachyon harmonic is a good shield stripper, and triage is a great group heal.

It almost tempts me to play ground PvP. Almost.