Lt. Commander
# 1 STO Free-to Play
09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
In a recent Perfect World earnings call, CFO Kelvin Lau stated our intention to adopt a free-to-play business model for Star Trek Online this year and we could not be happier to finally share these exciting plans with you...

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
all right, it's official now

btw, that link only goes back to the home page... not the news article
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Please tell me that you're still going to honor the purchases of the Lifetime sub, as I'm another week away from buying it

(I need that borg!)
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRGodfrey
Please tell me that you're still going to honor the purchases of the Lifetime sub, as I'm another week away from buying it

(I need that borg!)
I wouldn't worry...Champs still sells Lifer subs with the benefits that go along with it
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:

(I need that borg!)
I bought a LTS on Champions online *after* Free for All was released. I'm 99.999999% sure it will be the same here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I bought my lifer sub during open beta at the discount they offered for $239.99 at the end of January 2010. Which breaks down to 19 months. Which then breaks down to approximately $12.63 a month up through the end of August. I feel that I have gotten more than my money's worth from purchasing the lifer sub. Whatever they choose to offer as compensation for the lifers, I am sure will be awesome and very much worth it. Also, I have contributed monthly by buying CP and spending them (I've managed to get everything in the C-Store to date) whenever something new comes out. Those that feel a refund is warranted, it won't happen because it isn't plausible nor necessary for the devs to do it. The CO F2P system has worked wonderfully, so be excited and look forward to what will come for the game as a whole and for those that are lifers/monthly subbers.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Lets hear less QQ and more PEW PEW. This has gone from speculations to assumptions and you know what happens when you make assumptions without any facts or being in the know The logical question you have to ask yourself is a company such as Perfect World would they buy a company for 50 mil just to **** off their customer base? I think not, like any business acquisition it is an investment to make even more money. So their goal is to make us all happy (all=as many as they can) to make that 50 mil back and then start profiting. You have to look at the positive of it all lifers and those who will keep subscribing will be getting what they always have except more for their money or money they had already spent. I can already tell you the positives... Player base will grow much higher that will include more people to team up with in pvp, fleet actions, stf's, ranking/leveling up, the new borg red alerts, etc. Also just wait out the week it will take them to explain like when I worked in customer service in the past its almost never the higher ups handing down the info first it comes from the customer in a lot of cases like this one. One big issue no one seems to acknowledge is the worst case scenario would have been if Perfect World has not bought STO none of us would be able to play the game much less complain in these forums, the prior company could have just cut their *in their mind* loses. The last thing I am going to say too being a star trek fan for almost three decades, STO has only scratched the surface of CBS approved canon material.

Have Fun (Do yourselves a favor and do not cry over spilled milk that hasn't been spilled) LOL
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-02-2011, 01:00 AM
I do not know what to think, I have been saving to get a Lifers account, now with it going to free to play i have to ask what is the point, Are they going to have it were they convert Lifers to Premium accounts and for us subs to still have the ability to by into it?
Lt. Commander
# 9 not surprised, not unimpressed
09-03-2011, 04:18 AM
well I was not surprised, and to be honest, it doesnt bother me. it means that theres going to be more n00bs to gank in PvP, and hopefully with an increase in population, Cryptic gives PvP some love.

Once I figure out how to get the game to run on my pc for more than 20 seconds before it crashes, I will return.

and No, I can not submit a ticket, since the cryptic crash handler doesnt pop up, its a windows explorer crash message
Lt. Commander
Quote:

(I need that borg!)
I do not think you need to be concern...

If they follow what they did with Champions Online, and I suspect they will, paid subscribers and lifetime subscribers would be Gold members and F2P accounts will be silver account members.

Other then that it should be identical.

My problem is my gold account chat does not work currently in Star Trek Online or Champions Online, It has been broken for four weeks now. Not one report on when that will be fixed. But, my silver account the chat works fine on both computers I use. This leads me to believe the staff places the silver account holders at a higher level then the gold members because the silver account works properly with all the patches to both Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

Also, they got the weekly series story working on Champions in June to July and forgot all about the paying people on STO.

Until my chat works properly, which should be an easy fix. And by easy, it should not take more than 4 weeks to fix where it works right for F2P accounts and does not function properly for paying customers.

I am not really feeling the gold standard in service. At this stage it seems more like a bronze package.

There is no excuse for this!

Thank you.