Lt. Commander
Before you go off flaming me, please read.
So I'm a day 1 veteran of STO. I just subscribed to WoW for a friend of mine so I can get her some free stuff. I'm only gonna play for 3 months I think, which is what I signed up for.

My character there is only level 7 right now. I like how each bit of armor makes your character unique to every one else. But that's pretty much where my liking of the game ends. Sure there is probably A LOT of more content to the game, but it's been out for 10 years.

I don't like the tiny bit of character customization there is on that game. STO we have SO MUCH MORE. Plus, we get laser guns and starships. They get magic stuff.

Then when you die, you have to run as your ghost to your dead body to respawn. THAT IS SO FRUSTRATING! What point is there to that???? That was my biggest thing I dislike about it.

I've only played for like just today so far. So my stance on the game is pretty shallow at this point. But if it is indicative to how the whole game plays. Just run back and forth, kill this, deliver that. Then I like Star Trek Online has NOTHING to worry about.

We'll be here for a long time.

One thing STO has that WoW doesn't.... Orion Slave Girls. nuff said.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Majestic starships - well some of them anyway - or swords and magic. I like swords, magic doesn't interest me much, but starships and the exploration of space interests me a lot more.

And then there's the whole background of Trek and the back history that has built up over a course of well over 40 years. And the starships, can't forget the starships.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Star Trek Online and World of ******** are two completely different, well everything. I've played wow since launch and was fine with it, what put me off was the multiple servers (100+) the guilds are too elitist and you feel like too much of a hero. With the simplifying of the raids and crazy amount of hit points it just put me off. Eventually I was just playing to hang out with a few buddies in-game rather than playing the game for itself.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I noticed that. The characters are SO powerful. Eventually you become so powerful you have to fight off gods. Reminds me of an old AD&D game I played back in high school.

Yes, can't forget the starships. I'll keep my account but after this 3 months I doubt I'll log back in for a long time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-04-2011, 09:25 PM
A friend of mine [now former friend] tried to get me into WoW. I played it and enjoyed it, but my biggest issue with it wasn't the game itself, but it was the fact that, when I had the membership, he was always bugging me to play the game with him; when I had other plans that didn't involve playing the game with him, he got upset.

Though, one day, I tried it when he was busy with something else and I enjoyed it. I think that one of the main reasons I never really cared for it is because he was constantly pressuring me to play it (even going so far as to buy me a copy of the game), but what he didn't realize is that one main reason I wouldn't buy a subscription is because of him and the way he pressures me to play it anytime he's playing it.

Though one thing I love about STO compared to WoW is that STO has a Lifetime Subscription option. When I was playing WoW, they didn't. Maybe things have changed since then, but one reason I like STO is that there's a flat fee; pay it once, then play whenever you want without any pressure of a monthly subscription ending.

Personally, if I want something similar to WoW, I'll play Dungeons & Dragons Online.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Never really got into WoW. Don't know why. Just never got my interest.
One of the reasons why i like STO so much is that it is very relaxed and friendly. WoW was way to serious.

The MMO i was really hoping for (but it got cancelled) was Stargate Worlds, but STO filled that gap pretty well as i am a sci-fi buff.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSLover
Though one thing I love about STO compared to WoW is that STO has a Lifetime Subscription option. When I was playing WoW, they didn't. Maybe things have changed since then, but one reason I like STO is that there's a flat fee; pay it once, then play whenever you want without any pressure of a monthly subscription ending.
Yeah!! That was one of the first things I was looking for. I HATE monthly subscriptions. If I want to play for a bit, then leave and come back to it, and I know there will be people playing the game for a LONG time. Then I maybe don't mind paying the lifetime fee. I love Star Trek so much I didn't think twice to do the lifetime.

Another thing I hate about WoW is that everyone is so elitist in the game. "Yeah I've been playing for 5+ years, I've maxed out everything possible in the game. I can't be bothered to answer an easy little question to help out some new player!"

I seriously just asked "where can I sell stuff?" I got a response, and I'm NOT joking. "type /camp and close your eyes for 20 seconds." I typed it in and saw my character beginning to log out. I responded "... jerk" though wanted to say much more...

We're all friends here on STO, and that in the end I'm sure will make this game better than WoW.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMax View Post
Yeah, I noticed that. The characters are SO powerful. Eventually you become so powerful you have to fight off gods. Reminds me of an old AD&D game I played back in high school.

Yes, can't forget the starships. I'll keep my account but after this 3 months I doubt I'll log back in for a long time.
Who mourns for Bane?

Beating gods is easy. Kirk did it with 23rd century tech!
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Played WoW for about 2 years or so. It was fun at first, but when things started to get serious, I got tired of playing. The whole "Raid for gear so you can raid" loop got annoying fast, and there was generally nothing worthwhile to do outside of raiding or PvP.

I hope STO will reach some sort of middle ground for endgame play, offering challenges but at the same time not make them so damn exhausting.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMax View Post
My character there is only level 7 right now. I like how each bit of armor makes your character unique to every one else
If that's where your liking of the game ends, I really suggest you don't go to level 85, if even that far. At endgame, every bit of armor makes you look more and more like everyone else - class sets and recolored versions of the same items copied throughout tiers end up funneling people into quite similar looks.

WoW's one of those games with a dirty secret, like how so many of EVE's major players hate the game but still come for the politics. The dirty secret is that a great deal of the top level players (I was one of them, within the 200 first kills from Lucifron through Heroic Lich King) aren't so much playing the game as using it to justify their deductions in the metagame. I've still got 600 megabytes of Simcraft data sitting on my hard drive from that ****. "Raiding for gear so you can raid" is bad enough, but I spent about five years mathematically modeling raiding so I could raid for gear so I could raid...

And part of me still wants it back, so there's a terrifying look inside my head.