Lt. Commander
# 1 The New Star Trek
09-09-2011, 11:03 PM
So, I'm not a fan of the new Star Trek. BUT, before you start, this isn't another Trek bashing thread.

Instead, I came up with an idea I wanted feedback on.

See, we know that Nero created an alternate timeline. We also know that in that timeline Vulcan was destroyed. My question here is, do Kirk and Spock suddenly grow goaties? ie; is what we're seeing the beginning of the Terran Empire in the Mirror Universe?

I mean think about it - the Vulcans were a stabilizing force in the Federation, lending a sense of logic and calmness which undoubtedly led to the Federation's values on peace and prosperity. WIthout that, or at least with that being diminished, wouldn't the course of history change completely?

Perhaps Kirk's generation rejected those values?

Just a thought
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-09-2011, 11:34 PM
1) enterprise has already explained the mirror universe went well into the 21st century and probably earlier.

2) even after a tragic event i dont think they would all change their fundamental way of life and all become evil in the space of a few years.

yes the course of history will still change but humanity has already gotten to a decent point. unless something tragic happened to earth i dont see them becoming like the mirror universe.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
2) even after a tragic event i dont think they would all change their fundamental way of life and all become evil in the space of a few years.
I can think of several examples where "out of hardship arose tyranny", however, discussing real world politics is not allowed on these forums.

I agree though, the JJ Abrams universe is not the Mirror Universe. If it was, it would have been a complete failure at separating the franchise for Paramount and CBS to both play with the Star Trek title. No one wants to watch a movie series based in the mirror universe. One or two episodes, sure, but that's only because it gives the good guys a chance to act evil.

As it is, the JJ reboot is going to be a hard sell to the American public for more than 3 movies. Especially if CBS picks the title back up with an ongoing TV series set in the "prime" universe. People will see the JJ movies like "well that was a nice experiment, but it's over, that stuff on CBS is the "Real Star Trek".
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
I can think of several examples where "out of hardship arose tyranny", however, discussing real world politics is not allowed on these forums.

I agree though, the JJ Abrams universe is not the Mirror Universe. If it was, it would have been a complete failure at separating the franchise for Paramount and CBS to both play with the Star Trek title. No one wants to watch a movie series based in the mirror universe. One or two episodes, sure, but that's only because it gives the good guys a chance to act evil.

As it is, the JJ reboot is going to be a hard sell to the American public for more than 3 movies. Especially if CBS picks the title back up with an ongoing TV series set in the "prime" universe. People will see the JJ movies like "well that was a nice experiment, but it's over, that stuff on CBS is the "Real Star Trek".
Actually I really do hope you're right there, I've been waiting since I was ten for the Next Next Generation
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-10-2011, 04:37 AM
Maybe the new TV series which is being pitched since late august should be called the Next Generation Jr lol but seriously maybe it should be called the New Generation, that way since it is mentioned in the pitch a new cast will be in it I hope they will use the old crews from TNG, DS9 and VOY in some way, like they did with stargate Atlantis with the speical apperance of RDA, MS and CJ if you guys know what i'm talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-10-2011, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Maybe the new TV series which is being pitched since late august should be called the Next Generation Jr lol but seriously maybe it should be called the New Generation, that way since it is mentioned in the pitch a new cast will be in it I hope they will use the old crews from TNG, DS9 and VOY in some way, like they did with stargate Atlantis with the speical apperance of RDA, MS and CJ if you guys know what i'm talking about.
What new series being pitched since August. Can someone post a link to an article or whatever. I would like to read about it.