Lt. Commander
# 1 The Path to 2409: 2390
07-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Raids on civilian ships and settlements along the borders of the Klingon Empire and Gorn Hegemony rise dramatically and Starfleet identifies at least eight places near the borders where the Nausicaans are constructing bases hidden in asteroid belts or nebulae.
Starfleet Command does not consider these bases to be a major threat, but the Federation Transport Union, which represents a large number of civilian freighter captains, is demanding that Starfleet increase its patrols in the border regions and offer additional protections for civilian shipping traffic.
This puts Starfleet in a position of having to balance the need for defense with the Federation's deteriorating relationship with the Klingon Empire.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Yay an update. Good read too!

Thanks Rekhan!
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Sweet It seems 8472 are edging closer and closer. I wonder if they chose that nebula to appear in for some of its properies? Or they may be setting up another "In The Flesh" style base there I like how this is shaping up!

Quote:
For her part, Taris has not publically expressed an interest in governing the civilian population, and has order the forces under her control to concentrate on relief efforts and defense of the border regions.
Typo
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtst View Post
Yay an update. Good read too!

Thanks Rekhan!
woohoo cool thanks
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-16-2009, 04:25 PM
*disregard. I understand now.

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreshjedi View Post
Um....

"The U.S.S. Enterprise-E returns from a survey of the McAllister C-5 Nebula. Captain Data reports that the Enterprise found residual signs of multiple quantum singularities in the area of the nebula that correspond to those used by a Delta Quadrant race known as Species 8472 to cross over from fluidic space. Unfortunately, the properties of the protostellar nebula in which the singularities were found make definitive identification impossible. If these singularities were used by Species 8472, it is the first sign of them near Federation space. "

So did you guys just arbitrarily ressurect Data, or is that just a misprint, because I was pretty sure he was vaporized in Nemesis?? Because if so... you might want to write a retraction.

I thought you were building this game around canon?

-avery
Please do make an efort to follow the whole path series, Captain Data is back for some "years" now he is also present on the official countdown comic for ST XI .
Otherwise very intresting read keep 'em comming
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-16-2009, 04:35 PM
A brilliant path.

The mention of the retired JAG officer from "Measure of a Man" was brilliant. I liked her character.

Also the mention of the Beverly Crushers Olympic class ships makes me happy, because I will be using one of those

Overall, I'm exited.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Overall I liked the entry. I like how everything is shaping up. I'm glad to see Species 8472 is gonna make a return. I would hate to see the only species that actually does real damage to the Borg fall by the wayside.
Also regarding Data, I believe in a previous entry they explained that its just B4's body but Data's memories and experiences overwritten on B4's "brain".
Lt. Commander
# 9 Corrupt Principals
05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunbar9 View Post
Overall I liked the entry. I like how everything is shaping up. I'm glad to see Species 8472 is gonna make a return. I would hate to see the only species that actually does real damage to the Borg fall by the wayside.
Also regarding Data, I believe in a previous entry they explained that its just B4's body but Data's memories and experiences overwritten on B4's "brain".
As stated in my previous response, "Corrupt Cannon/Data would not have allowed it", this overwriting B-4's brain is simply wrong and is the same as one life form possessing the body of another or the same as straight out murder. It goes against the principals and ideals of Roddenberry, Star Trek, the principals of Starfleet and the Federation, and certainly the principals and character of not only Data himself but Picard, Riker, and everyone else involved that has been previously shown to fight tooth and nail for the individual rights of any intelligent life form no matter how primitive their thinking/programming may be and no matter whether they be artificial life forms or natural ones. Whoever wrote this nonsense and came up with this "Body stealing" attempt of resurrecting Data certainly didn't spend much time doing any research or clearly coming up with a logical and principal approach to the problem. If they had this would not have been written. Data wouldn't have even allowed this to happen to Lore, even though he was right out evil, because he understood the rights of the individual. Cannon is not only the source of the story and information, it is also whether it follows the foundation, the principals, and the ideals of the original creator and established Trek universe and her "characters", which this does NOT.

Respectfully,
Captain T.B. Heffner
CO, U.S.S. Gallifrey NCC-81631
IFT / GOTSF
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreshjedi View Post
Um....

"The U.S.S. Enterprise-E returns from a survey of the McAllister C-5 Nebula. Captain Data reports that the Enterprise found residual signs of multiple quantum singularities in the area of the nebula that correspond to those used by a Delta Quadrant race known as Species 8472 to cross over from fluidic space. Unfortunately, the properties of the protostellar nebula in which the singularities were found make definitive identification impossible. If these singularities were used by Species 8472, it is the first sign of them near Federation space. "

So did you guys just arbitrarily ressurect Data, or is that just a misprint, because I was pretty sure he was vaporized in Nemesis?? Because if so... you might want to write a retraction.

I thought you were building this game around canon?

-avery
Data is Captain of the Enterprise E in the Countdown comics, prequel to the new movie, and I think that's canon.

From the 2385 update:

Quote:
Chief Engineer Geordi La Forge requests a long-term leave of absence from Starfleet to work on personal projects, including a plan to build and test his own starship designs. But his first project is to assist the team at the Soong Foundation studying the Soong-type android B-4. With his help, on Stardate 62762.91 the team unlocks what it calls the “Data matrix,” successfully accessing the personality, knowledge and memories of Data, who had downloaded this information into B-4 before his destruction in the Battle of Bassen Rift.

The Data persona asserts itself over B-4’s more primitive programming, and the android is able to assist the Soong Foundation team to upgrade the positronic brain and recreate the emotion chip invented by Dr. Noonien Soong. The team is confident that their work will be completed in months.
2386:

Quote:
With his upgrades at the Soong Foundation complete, Data requests that his commission in Starfleet be reactivated. While there are some initial questions because the Data persona is in the body once used by B-4, after Jean-Luc Picard, William T. Riker and several other current and former members of the Enterprise crew testify on Data's behalf, Starfleet Command agrees to reinstate Data. He is promoted to captain and assigned to supervise the completion of the Enterprise-E's refit.

On Stardate 63894.06, the refit of the Enterprise-E is completed and the ship, helmed by Captain Data, leaves the Utopia Planitia shipyards. "We are introducing a new era of exploration and peace," said Starfleet Command spokesperson Commander Marie Durant.