Lt. Commander
Executive Producer Dan Stahl will be leaving active duty at the helm of Star Trek Online by the end of the month. Click to read his departing Priority One message.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Well thats suprising... Last time I heared similar it was an aprils fool joke...

Really a pitty..
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-20-2011, 05:30 PM
That sucks big fat donkey balls. Don't leave dude. you were the best thing that happened to this game, under your leadership so much about this game was improved!
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Well that's a damn shame... You're gonna be missed Dan. Despite the difficulties over the past few months you've led this game in to an unparalleled age of Dev/player communication, and the game has massively improved under your leadership. Here's hoping that your replacement will live up to your example and let us shoot them on test server on occasion. :p

Good luck for the future man. I'm sure I'll cross your path again at whatever company and project you are moving to.
Lt. Commander
# 5 loss of Dan
09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Dan you will be missed by all. no one will ever be able to fill your shoes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
See ya Dan. Hope the next guy works as hard as you.

Good luck with the new challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-20-2011, 05:46 PM
One of the best EP's to grace an MMO. His cander, dedication, and vision of where he wanted to bring STO will be truly missed. He will be an asset to what ever organization he moves onto.

Good Luck!
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Even if the replacement is as good as DStahl, simply announcing this right now is going to cause unprecedented moral ripples. Look at it from the player's perspective. Through 2011 we've suffered incredible content droughts while the PW sale was taking place which has resulted in a significant drop in the player base, a not-so-surprising "hey, we're going F2P" announcement (not that I have anything against it, but still), numerous releases into the C-Store that continue to blatantly break Cryptic's original promise that game-affecting items would never be in there (causing mass forum rage in the process), and now this?

You can't possibly expect us not to yell "sinking ship", or at the very least be skeptical.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrianne
Even if the replacement is as good as DStahl, simply announcing this right now is going to cause unprecedented moral ripples. Look at it from the player's perspective. Through 2011 we've suffered incredible content droughts while the PW sale was taking place which has resulted in a significant drop in the player base, a not-so-surprising "hey, we're going F2P" announcement (not that I have anything against it, but still), numerous releases into the C-Store that continue to blatantly break Cryptic's original promise that game-affecting items would never be in there (causing mass forum rage in the process), and now this?

You can't possibly expect us not to yell "sinking ship", or at the very least be skeptical.
I hate to say it, but my thoughts are effectively summed up here.

The timing of this is abysmal from a PR standpoint. As soon as you remove the rose-tinted sunglasses when viewing this game and look at the recent timeline of events, it is sincerely hard to take 'the future' with anything less than a dose of caution.

F2P is still seen by many people in the gaming world as being a sign of an MMO's tipping point - when it ceases to become a profit flagship, and enters a mode of low-cost, low-maintenance support.

The EP jumping ship during such a transition after such a monstrous content drought is... well... Not a pill easily swallowed.

I will continue to play this game. But you will forgive me if I begin to emotionally divorce myself from it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrianne

You're right, I can't expect you to not be skeptical. We also don't. However, we certainly weren't going to not announce this. In fact, one of the reasons why we did announce this now was so that you would all have some time to meet Stephen (The Interim EP, and Cryptic's CTO) and get to know him a little while Dan is still around holding the helm.

Please remember that DStahl's tenure isn't up until the end of the month. We're telling you now so that we have time to introduce you to Stephen, and allow you to see how awesome he is.

Over the next couple of weeks, you'll get a chance to get to know him much better than you do now. The man's a very serious trekkie (He has a rather large collection of toy starships in his office!) and is really plugged into the game. I think, that if we give him a chance, you all might just find out that you like him.

Thanks,

Stormshade