Lt. Commander
I posted this on someone's thread, but there are too many to keep reposting it, so here's a simple how-to. First of all, the Undine dreadnought is not invincible, it is very doable in single player. Secondly, it helps if you're at least a Lt. Cdr. and you have Mk III weapons and shields (preferably, quantum torpedoes and regenerative shields.)

The key to defeating the dreadnought in single player is to do it while the Klingons are still alive. If they all die, you might as well give up and try again. First, ignore the frigates, they're there to distract you. Target only the dreadnought and throw the kitchen sink at it. Every weapon you have fired as often as you can and lots of turns prevent the same shields from being repeatedly hammered. Abilities that help are: high yield torpedoes, emergency power to aux, weapons and shields, evasive maneuvers and shield rotation (though, you have to be an engineer to rotate the shields.) Items like shield, weapon, engine and aux. batteries also help.

Teaming up with others also helps. There are enough people who hate the mission enough that they'll be glad to team up with you, just holler on the chat line.

I actually teamed up with someone earlier who was having problems with the dreadnought and we beat it. However, I didn't do the rest of the mission first, so I had to go back in. The person I helped was helping me but had issues warping to the dreadnought, so it was just me and the Klingons. With the Klingons' help, I beat the dreadnought in just a few minutes by ignoring the frigates and using the abilities I mentioned above. I was in a Tier 2 cruiser with fore and aft MkIII phasers, fore MkII quantums and rear MkIII photons. I had MkIII regenerative shields and hull strength, shield regen and weapons boost consoles. The dreadnought never stood a chance and then we wiped up the frigates.

Fortunately, the next few missions after that one aren't that hard.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Nice write up. However, I just did this as a LtC 1 with just the gear i had for my tier 1 ship. I died once but by the time i respawned and was flying back to the fight the nice klingons finished it off for me. In other words I had no trouble. I am wondering if its a random bug?
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I did this mission at lt.9, and had a mk II dual phaser beam bank, and a mk I phaser turret, and a mk II quantum torp. All my shields, engine, and deflector was standard issue. My skills were Beam Overload 1, Hazard Emitters 1, and Emergency Power to Shields 1.

I pretty much started off thinking "I will just kill the stupid frigates and let the Klingons handle the big ship..." and found out pretty quickly that the Klingons don't survive very long... which left me alone against EVER SPAWNING frigates and a nearly full strength (And angry) Undine ship to do solo. Originally I tried using Torp Spread... the problem there was that I kept hitting the frigates and drawing their attention. Having a giant Undine ship and like 5 smaller ships all mad at you, well...

Yeah... that didn't work out.

So I pretty much did exactly what you suggested, as soon as I reentered the map, I made a beeline straight for the stupid Nictus and opened fired. I stayed behind it and hugged its hull, never letting up even once. Just keeps putting all my shield power into my forward face, kept healing, and completely ignored the frigates. I managed to blow it up in about 4ish minutes of constant pressure and it was easy to mop up the massive mob with all my Klingons still alive. Switching to BO1 really helped, because as long as you don't draw all the aggro to yourself, the Klingons pretty much keep the heat off of you.

Easy peasy!
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
Switching to BO1 really helped...!
Eh? Switch to BO1? What exactly do you mean?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournerX
Eh? Switch to BO1? What exactly do you mean?
BO1: Short for the skill "Beam Overload 1". I had another tac officer that had it, so I switched them around.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Like you said, everyone gets stuck here, so the quickest way to do it is just hang around Bomari for five minutes and post in zone "LFT stop the signal dread." Chances are there are already at least four other people there who are also stuck on it, and with a team it goes down quick and easy no matter who you bring along. Fortunately the over the top frigate spam is not any worse when you have a team than when you're alone, so you can just ignore them and focus the dread until it dies.
Lt. Commander
Hi all.
I have not been able to defeat it yet with my Lt Eng. I now am LtCom2 with all the things Eg180 says I should have on my Eng Cruiser Ship.
I will give it a try as you have all suggested I do it and I will let you know how I do.
Good luck to me - lol.
God Bless, BFN, LtCom Saillie A. Frigeng.......
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Did it at Lt9, science captain. BOFFS had HY1 and Emergency power to weapons, and hazard emitters. Failed horribly on first attempt where I tried to kill the frigates. Second attempt I unloaded everything on the Big Bad, using HY, EptW and sensor scan as soon as they came off cooldown. Also tried to stay as much as possible on one of the biggies shield arcs. In the end it was me, a K'tinga and a raptor left alive.

Mission is a bit on the hard side for solo though, especially for that low level where many new players might not be fully up to things. It should be toned down a little.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Stop the Signal got you down? Here's how to win it.
One semi easy way, one hard way, and one incredibly easy way
Method 1 This is the default and easiest to do solo. We'll call it No Mooks Out Today. The basic jist of Method 1, is to ignore the mobs and just stay on the Dreadnought at all times.
Just balance your shields, crank your weapon power, have full ranks in your boff's bo1, and spike the sucker every chance you get. Crank EPTS (that is Emergency Power to Shields) when the focus fire pours in the first time, then the npcs invariably take the aggro back off of you (since the aggro mechanics in this game are virtually non existent X enemy will always target Y where Y is whoever is doing the most dps to it rather than helping it's team mate)

If the focus fire gets to be too much lay off the hate on the dreadnought, crank your shield power (this is generally after EPTS has worn off... assuming you didn't have it maxed out on ranks like I Didn't.), eat an aux battery and pop hazard. (assuming you have hazard. If you don't just eat your sci team if your shields are that dangerously low)

Switch weapon power back on, when the hate fades off or when your shields are mostly recovered and finish the job. In my case, pump torp every time it's off of CD as even a torp hitting shields is still more dps than a single DBB hitting the target.

I had some unlucky warpcore from a couple npcs hit me so I had to go defensive during method 2 (as the klink npcs actually focus fired a couple of frigates) once, and then after that I laid the hate on heavy and thick.

Conversely you could also, while your shield power is cranked crank a weapon battery every chance you get and spike with bo1, so even in turtle mode you don't necessarily have to lose your punch if you think you are that close to beating the npc. I had my engines set to 25 power the whole time, and was able to stay on one or two facings really easily with only adjusting my throttle maybe once. And those klink npcs -will- help you pound the thing down.

It's far from the unbeatable monster that the 'casuals; are trying to paint it as.

I did it with two very different methods, the first (Warp Core Torpedo) was the more advanced and far more difficult method, due to the sheer number of variables involved and the horrid movement capabilities of the Frigate.

Both times however I had a very unfavorable setup and didn't even have a single console equipped on my ship.

As far as "elite skill" goes, there's really not much you can do in a Miranda in my opinion to eek -that- much more mileage out of it. It's a garbage ship and it really is that poor of a vehicle. Especially with a DBB and Torp as your only effective weapons. (yeah that's right for once the default weapon loadout on a ship is superior to what I fielded)

I'm 90 percent sure I could have done it easier on method 2 even had I a beam array upfront so I could broadside the dreadnought (as 2x beam arrays is more dps vs shields than a dbb and photon torp) and heck for gravy I -know- it would have been easier with consoles and non Standard Issue Shields.

Method 2, is quite abit more tricky especially in the horribly under powered Frigate. It's much easier to do in a shuttle, but piloting a shuttle requires very intensive power level management, the actual piloting part in this mission is easy enough and if you do it right you'll get plenty of second shots with the warp core torpedoes.. I mean frigate spawns. If you are doing it in a shuttle you'll find it much more rewarding and it teaches you more about power management. the Frigate can get somewhat frustrating since it's a dog in terms of agility.

The aim here is to spike the frigates with BO1 and a torp and as much hate as you can throw as close to the dreadnought as you can. You want the frigates warpcores to detonate if possible point blank on the hull of the dreadnought or on the shields without frying your friendly and oh so competent pilot npcs (they are anything but during this method I have Warp Core Killed half the NPCs on two different attempts and the dread and future spawns finished off what was left). However when it pays off it's utterly hilarious.

You will be hitting the dreadnought very little as you are trying to get the hate of individual frigates (or just try to torp spread them to death if they get in a group around the dread that might work too but I have not tested this yet). You'll have them chase you in the way that npcs lazily amble about, get close and then blam you spring the trap and nuke the frigate next to the dread.
It can take alot of practice of managing your weapon power vs shield power (I also recommend making sure your engine power is set to 50 in full on shield power mode), and positioning is difficult due to the variables.

If you've got fraps or use Demorecord though the video you can have for posterity would be just awesome.
Method 3 is the easiest of all, seek help. There's going to be plenty of people that have not beaten this one yet solo. However with 2 players, the mission gets incredibly easy especially with Method 1 employed. if no one wants to, and you are still unwilling to give it another go keep at it. I promise you'll find someone helpful enough to do it with.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Nice write up. However, I just did this as a LtC 1 with just the gear i had for my tier 1 ship. I died once but by the time i respawned and was flying back to the fight the nice klingons finished it off for me. In other words I had no trouble. I am wondering if its a random bug?
myeah were you a tactical officer? because i'm thinking it's not so random. I play science and have mk II at low levels science ships officers have no debuff on damage so there is a huge issue if this is as intended.