Lt. Commander
Interesting question,

Due to instancing, every character of Star Trek: Online is basically playing a single-player campaign built around the fact that he gets a Chris Pine Kirk-esque origin. He's promoted to lieutenant and given command of a garbage scow-esque ship - so it's SLIGHTLY more believable but the same basic principle applies.

From there, the PC proceeds to single handedly carve his way through the Klingon race (if he's Federation) before moving onto blowing up a Romulan warbird with a shuttle on your first Romulan story mission and then only goes from there.

Basically, by the end of things, your character is the most action packed heroic superhero of superheroes Starfleet has ever produced.

Do you like this origin for your character or would you have preferred something slightly more lower-key for your Captain?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I thought the new tutorial changes that. So your not just foisted into command.

Is that the one your talking about, or the new one on tribble?

I don't mind it. We're all the heroes of our own life stories. Plus... I fly a ship that could lay waste to a planet, I don't find the shuttle thing to be too much, especially since at that time, your fighting along side a galaxy class and the warbird isn't shooting at you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-04-2011, 12:26 PM
What's the new version like?

I played til Lieutenant Commander 5 then quit for almost a year.

Then I resumed.

I expect I missed a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
new tutorial is not much different to what it was before.

im fine with the action start. perhaps a little variety would have been nice. perhaps an action tutorial for your kirks and a more low key one for your picards.

janeway's one was lost and will be here in 7 years.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
new tutorial is not much different to what it was before.

im fine with the action start. perhaps a little variety would have been nice. perhaps an action tutorial for your kirks and a more low key one for your picards.

janeway's one was lost and will be here in 7 years.
Heh, except Picard gained his first command the exact same way
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
What's the new version like?

I expect I missed a lot.
It's the old version, but tweaked a little
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I thought the new tutorial changes that. So your not just foisted into command.
There is no "new tutorial". They just slightly changed the existing tutorial. You can see for yourself on Tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There is no "new tutorial". They just slightly changed the existing tutorial. You can see for yourself on Tribble.
I thought the plan was that the tutorial was being replaced and the current one was gonna be a precursor to the Khitomer Accord STF. I call BS on this, lol.

Wasn't a new tutorial supposed to come in S4?
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I thought the plan was that the tutorial was being replaced and the current one was gonna be a precursor to the Khitomer Accord STF. I call BS on this, lol.

Wasn't a new tutorial supposed to come in S4?
Well, I played the tutorial on Tribble last night, and it was the same as the first tutorial I played a couple months after launch, with the exception of details like division based starting rooms, and some stuff that explains shooter mode.

So either there is another new turotial in the works or, "the borg are in our base killing our officers" is still the plot in the new tutorial.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I like being the star of the show, but I wouldn't mind if the supporting cast could carry an episode here and there. My biggest disappointment with the game has been my Bridge Officers and what I consider their lack of depth.

As for my "RP" background, I had my main serve for nearly twenty years in the Andorian local fleet before transitioning over to Starfleet. Although he took the Starfleet rank of ensign for the switch, Vega Colony was not his first rodeo, and thus he was able to slide into the big chair without too much difficulty when the time came. Faster than normal promotions are explained by his previous experience. Works for me.

I know that if I was a crew member aboard a ship whose commanding officer was a recent academy graduate and who had barely 22 years (if human) life experience, I'd be looking for a transfer - regardless of how whiz bang he is at whipping gimped Borg around Vega Colony. I just wouldn't be able to trust his judgement or emotional maturity.

Of course - it is just a game...