Lt. Commander
# 1 Path to F2P Dev Blog #7
10-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Today on the Path to F2P, Stephen D'Angelo tells all about the new Dilithium currency in Star Trek Online, currently available for testing on Tribble.

Link to the Article
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm a little nervous that there weren't any specifics given about crafting changes and what will become of our left-over currencies when F2P hits.

Usually withholding info till later is a precursor to anger-inducing news.

I'm especially nervous about crafting changes mentioned.
Heretofore I've actually acquired most of my stuff via crafting since the speed at which I can acquire, well anything, is only limited by how fast I can grind or purchase anomalies.

I'm worried this will be gated in some way like the dilithium.
I don't like the idea that the speed at which I can kit-out is limited by anything but the time I have to put into the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-06-2011, 06:03 PM
yes for me, at least, that was extremely useless. It doesn't appear that he knows how to talk TO people just at them( just me though).
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah not too crazy about how this is coming across, but will reserve final judgement till I've played it. Most all of my stuff is crafted, I really hope they don't nerf that system.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-06-2011, 06:15 PM
On Tribble the Repair the Satilletes used to give 1440 Refined, now it gives 480 Ore, and when I try to refine ore I get a game crash so is it safe to assume there is a 1 ore to 3 refined ratio for default?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew.Felix
On Tribble the Repair the Satilletes used to give 1440 Refined, now it gives 480 Ore, and when I try to refine ore I get a game crash so is it safe to assume there is a 1 ore to 3 refined ratio for default?
As i did this Mission earlier this week i got 480 refined Dilithium. The Char was LT. CMDR. 3. Do you get more on higher Ranks? If not i don't think it will be 1 Ore to 3 refined.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtk142 View Post
Yeah not too crazy about how this is coming across, but will reserve final judgement till I've played it. Most all of my stuff is crafted, I really hope they don't nerf that system.
Guessing they will.

The dilithium (and likely other changes) are designed to change how you spend time in the game.
By limiting how much you can accomplish each day they keep you in-game for more days, thus increasing the chances of money spent.

My latinum says there will be a very functionally similar limit placed on crafting either by;
  • Limiting the number of items crafted a day
  • Jacking the amount of anomalies required per item thru the roof
  • Creating a similar refinement system with anomalies

Its strategy.
Cold calculating strategy.
Its exactly what you ought to expect. They're a business first and foremost.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I have a word for it ... Stupid.

They might as well rename he frakkin game as it is not the game we played and becomes one that will force us to grind and do things we don't want to do just to get a frakkin ship or train our Bridge Officers or outfit with gear.

F2P is broken and will remain broken s its about making money ... and being a gold member is meaningless.

Mark my words that craft as well ill beom something that will be remade to make you either grind or again turn to the C-Store.

Prices there will be higher as well.

Before, the Klingons were boken as a faction. Now, so is the Federation.

If the Emergency Producer Hologram has had a voice in making these changes, then I say switch it off as who ever is behind it all is clueless about what the players want in a game.

So ... how many lies have we been told? .... How many false promises?

If they say otherwise, it's easy to pile their previous words at their feet.

Cryptic, prove us wrong and make good on the original promises and dreams. Don't bury the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I really dislike this change. I was about 30,000 short so I replaced my T2 ship to a T3 ship at Captain.

Now by curtailing my access to exploration, it is going to get to be very hard to level up.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Quote:
One thing in common between the various ways to get Dilithium Ore is that they are limited to once-a-day activities or to activities only open during certain hours of the day. This is not accidental. At least for now, we're restricting how much Dilithium Ore players can collect in a single day, and we're splitting it across a variety of activities.
To be blunt, I'm not interested in being forced to play, level, and grind on your schedule. I have a life, a job, and other **** to do, and I've had the most fun with STO when I've been able to sit and grind out Clusters or similar missions for a few hours once or twice a week.

I am not pleased to hear of Cryptic's intention to force any players who want to make reasonable progress in this game to do so by making sacrifices in their lives beyond STO do daily logins for fractioned rewards.

This is not an improvement, and I have zero interest in participating. Likewise, I have several folks who've been interested in how the F2P model would shape up (with an interest in joining the game). Bluntly, should this approach continue I will warn them away from the game

As a player, especially a paying (or paid) subscriber, I want to do what I enjoy doing with my time on your game. Trying to gate or divert me into content you have not made appealing does not make it more appealing. Learn this Lesson

That's what it amounts to, folks.