Lt. Commander
# 1 STFs: To Q or not to Q?
10-15-2011, 07:51 PM
No, this isn't our friendly omnipotent overseer. No, I'm talking about the new STF queues that will go live with F2P launches.

While testing the "new" STFs on Tribble, I can't help but feel like Cryptic is making a mistake.

Why? The one thing people been asking for the longest times is that we get new, replayable end-game content. And the only end-game content STO really had was STFs: Infected, Cure, Khitomer Accords and now Terrordrome. Sure they were hard and required long committments, but that was the closest thing we had to old school dungeon Raids. But with the changes, the new STFs aren't really STFs anymore but instead just 6 new Fleet Actions. In short, it's the same dog but with new tricks.

I feel that in the end we lost content more than we gained. Especially with the Omega Fleet and Gamma Orionis becoming graveyards.

Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone. I feel that the energy spent remodeling the STFs could've been better spent in creating that new end-game content we been asking for, for a long time. After all, these new STFs is just another delay tactic similar to when Valor gear and Borg Gear were introduced.

So please, focus on new content than more remodling.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-16-2011, 01:40 AM
for me personally i hated stfs before and now i quite enjoy them. im fine with what they did. the new harder ones should be here soon for the ones who like a real challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I would like to see them expand the number of STFs to include a set that takes place in the Gamma Quadrant.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-16-2011, 09:02 AM
I'd like to see STF's in every sector eventually, or at least for every faction. Fighting Borg at end-game all the time gets fairly boring. Get the Dominion all riled up again! Or Iconian in Rommie sectors! Have a new front open up in the war with the Klingons! So many possibilities!

I did find STF's a little long before, but with a break between space and ground it wasn't too bad. I haven't run them separated yet so i'll have to see.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Imo, the best things about STFs

1) They are 5 man raids! I hated waiting for the 15-18 people in guild that were always late or just never showed up. Or the 4 people in 10s that are always late ><

2) Each STF takes 45minutes to an hour give or take. I LOVE this about STFs I really hate leaving a raid because my brother is in town for a few hours and wants to get a beer. I can run the quick STF AND get a beer, try doing that in other games.

STO is very casual in this respect in that it doesn't require 3 days a week to get 1 peice of gear, and even then there are TONS of ways to get gear so there is no "you don't havez 400 ilevel"
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Since the ground combat nerf the STFs have been nothing more than 5 man missions like any other. Now you are saying they are even easier? I hope the elite versions at least have SOME challenge. I just don't think cryptic understands how to do endgame and the value it holds for retaining subs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
Imo, the best things about STFs

1) They are 5 man raids! I hated waiting for the 15-18 people in guild that were always late or just never showed up. Or the 4 people in 10s that are always late ><

2) Each STF takes 45minutes to an hour give or take. I LOVE this about STFs I really hate leaving a raid because my brother is in town for a few hours and wants to get a beer. I can run the quick STF AND get a beer, try doing that in other games.

STO is very casual in this respect in that it doesn't require 3 days a week to get 1 peice of gear, and even then there are TONS of ways to get gear so there is no "you don't havez 400 ilevel"
Agreed, I think the old style of Raid is becoming out-dated, some games are starting (or have been for a while) to make versions of their raids for smaller groups.

I havn't tried the new STF's but the old ones, with a half decent team, were pretty easy for me. I like a challenge so I hope the harder versions are more challenging. Although I'm slightly worried becaue Cryptic just like to buff the NPC's HP and damage, there's mroe interesting ways to make things more challenging.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
No, this isn't our friendly omnipotent overseer. No, I'm talking about the new STF queues that will go live with F2P launches.

While testing the "new" STFs on Tribble, I can't help but feel like Cryptic is making a mistake.

Why? The one thing people been asking for the longest times is that we get new, replayable end-game content. And the only end-game content STO really had was STFs: Infected, Cure, Khitomer Accords and now Terrordrome. Sure they were hard and required long committments, but that was the closest thing we had to old school dungeon Raids. But with the changes, the new STFs aren't really STFs anymore but instead just 6 new Fleet Actions. In short, it's the same dog but with new tricks.

I feel that in the end we lost content more than we gained. Especially with the Omega Fleet and Gamma Orionis becoming graveyards.

Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone. I feel that the energy spent remodeling the STFs could've been better spent in creating that new end-game content we been asking for, for a long time. After all, these new STFs is just another delay tactic similar to when Valor gear and Borg Gear were introduced.

So please, focus on new content than more remodling.
I've got a feeling that the new events system - when hooked up to promote individual STFs - will change your mind on this.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
In a way It worries me that in two years these same STF's have been the endgame, it's almost gotten into a holding pattern. Warhammer online suffered from this and still suffers from it, constantly revamping the same thing over and over but not really adding anything substantial or new for players to chew on.

Personally I'd rather they just finish these, and move on to something else, let them expire and become trivial and focus the talent and manpower getting poured into them into designing and building a player driven endgame focused on territory control and exploration, with pve and pvp elements that has enough sandbox elements in place that the players can impact and shape the game.

That to me is real end game repeatable content, trying to stay ahead of the curve and release heavily scripted STF's that take years of tuning and iteration just to be consumed and grown bored of by the players seems futile. Maybe if gozer had a small army of guys working under him he could stay ahead of the pack of players, but he must be going crazy working on these things for as long as the game has been around.
This is precisely my concern.

The STFs were originally for the strive of [Borg] Gear (this was when it was pure Anti-Proton), then revamped for Valor gear, then again with Borg Gear after emblems came out. Now it's getting another revamp with a a more advanced Valor and Borg Gear, now called STF gear).

This is just ultimately us grinding away for full sets of MK 12 [Borg] Gear, which isn't really enough to keep players for long since those that been around for a long time are really exhaused of playing the same missions for nearly 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
I've got a feeling that the new events system - when hooked up to promote individual STFs - will change your mind on this.
I admire your optimism, but given what we seen so far on Tribble, the only thing to really look forward to is the DOFF system, the Borg Ground invasion of Defera, and the new DS9 Featured Event.

We really need a new end-game system thats going to interest people that isn't driven by items, but the fun of the experience.
Lt. Commander
# 10 New STFs...
10-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Here are my 2 cents...

I have played the following on Tribble
- INFECTED , SPACE and GROUND
- THE CURE, SPACE and GROUND

I have to say it feels more detached than ever... Space and Ground have nothing to do with each other any more and 4 out of 5 times we warped in with only 3 or 4 players, because the others clicked DECLINE, after queuing up.

Since space is now separate from ground; when you are done you disband the team... It should ask the player ,like before, to continue to the ground... only if someone did not finish the ground part they can queue up for that instance.

Also, after doing THE CURE I only got a lousy armor instead of a borg device...
If the STFs stay like this when F2P goes live, I will definitely switch my Subs to free...

There is another space mmo coming out in 1 or 2 months... will probably subscribe to that one.

I like the STFs how they are currently on the Holodeck, that was the only reason I am online, to play STFs and help noobs through the tough times. Now any noob can do them and they don't even give good rewards.

Will I be able to craft a Warp 14 engine after F2P goes live?

At the current state on Tribble, I do not like the new STFs...
I imagine once it goes live and more and more F2P users will be online it will be even harder to get a 5 man team together to get through an entire mission... People who are not serious about playing will leave the team in the middle of a mission, what do they have to lose? They're not paying for the game...

Sorry I am ranting on, and F2P is not even live yet... Will wait and see what happens...

One victory for Subs and Lifers... free ship tokens are back on level up....