Lt. Commander
# 1 Good DOFF bonuses... too good?
10-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Just opening a thread on strong DOFF bonuses that may need some attention before they go live...

Here is a screenie of the BFI button on my BoP on Tribble server now...

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5673/bfii.jpg

I have 3 boffs equipped that all give shield regen chance with BFI. 2x 30% chance and 4x 20% chance of proccing. This has basically become the main shield heal on this ship.. though the degree of regen is a bit unpredictable.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Yeah I knew DOFFs were borked the moment that I saw the weak ones give lovely things such as
Chances for Emergency Power to X getting a 30 percent CD reduction (20 percent for the crap DOFF)

Chances to create a second Gravity well after use of a GW skill.

Shield Draining of 188 shields per pulse, up to ten pulses with tractor beam.

And these are Starter Doffs.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point though. Too late to go back given the amount of work and thought that supposedly went into this system.

And TOR is coming anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-22-2011, 04:36 PM
in all fairness, most of these skills are a x% chance to proc, right? The thing with this shield heal is that they stack, so you can basically get a 99% chance of at least some proc :p

TOR? Isn't that star WARS?? yuck!
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
in all fairness, most of these skills are a x% chance to proc, right? The thing with this shield heal is that they stack, so you can basically get a 99% chance of at least some proc :p

the Tractor is a guaranteed strip. And there is a 500 + per pulse tractor.

The better version of the EPTX CD boff increases proc chance,

plus these are all stackable like your BFI Doffs are.

Yep. And face it, Star Wars is better. There's a reason people still love star wars, and that Trek is dying. Plus it's being made by Bioware.... STO is cryptic... I know who I'm putting my $ on.

Irony, your BFI Doffs completely mitigate the point of even hitting BFI since Shields are a much better damage reducer vs torps and ram, than BFI.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-23-2011, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
I know who I'm putting my $ on.
Anything else but cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-23-2011, 07:01 AM
This is saddening.

The DOffs took forever, and supposedly have a LOT of time and energy invested into their benefits. And they're supposed to be "small" bonuses that aren't going to be hugely game changing... But now you're instantly going to be at a disadvantage if you don't use DOffs. Exact opposite of what was said.

AND, once again, it's a form of PvE we have to do in order to stay competitive in PvP.

So much for more attention being paid to PvP...
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Also, freaking SADFACE.

Now my GW3 is not only going to be invalidated by the improved BFI, but it risks setting off some über regen procs even moreso than just the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
To be fair, this is not as lavish as it seems at first glance. There are a max of three DOFFs you can stack in any one specialization; this means you have three 30% chances of a proc; and those three chances only get rolled once each, after each time you use Brace for Impact. (You actually have two green 20% DOFFs and one blue 30% DOFF, it looks like; but I am going to pretend they're all 30% chances in order to make the numbers simpler).

So you're not going to get separate rolls on the shield HoT and one-shot regen; it's a single roll for each DOFF that he might do both of the things that are listed. In other words, you don't have a 30% chance of +1,148 and another 30% chance of 442 / 15 sec; you just have one 30% chance that both things might happen. So what this comes down to is that you have three 30% chance rolls to get what amounts to an extra TSS proc, each time you use BFI.

For the statistically challenged, the chance of getting at least one hit on three rolls of a 30% chance is 65%. That means about 2 times in 3 when you use BFI, you get a bonus TSS proc after you use it. And keep in mind, you only get this if you use up THREE of only FIVE active roster slots in order to get the maximum stacking on one active roster ability like this.

http://stattrek.com/tables/binomial.aspx

This is assuming that stacked DOFFs will not double proc (i.e., that if one of them succeeds in procc'ing on a given use of BFI, then the other two automatically will not, either by some lockout, or just because the rolls on identical DOFFs halt once one of them succeeds). As far as I know, that is in fact the way it works; but if it's not, then it definitely should be.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor

I realize that it's only a chance proc, but still it's a 1 in 5 chance (pretty damn good) to proc at worst, for a skill that everybody has reason to use.

As for TOR, yeah it's Star Wars, and I like Star Trek more than I like SW, but I also care about where I spend my time and money and Cryptic has not shown signs of improving or that they're even trying beyond the F2P work that's being done. At least at Bioware I know that they care about the story that they're telling and make an effort to keep their games in working order, here we actually have to argue about it....
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Maybe drain stacked tractor beams will balance it out

Also waiting for TOR.

I'm wondering now if only Sci will be able to kill things "reliably", by using shield killing combos and torp spreads.