Lt. Commander
Can you?

I can not. Why?
  1. We've gone 8 months without content, 10 months when F2P finally hits. Unacceptable.
  2. Everyone for Holodeck has been shelved in favor of F2P. Basically "lol Subscribers, thanks for paying to beta test for us!"
  3. Shoddy business practices. Cryptic has consistently misled us and baited us to say on a subscribers. "Don't worry, we'll have a steady flow of content post Season 4!" loljk. Sure, cite the PW sale all you want, but that's not an acceptable excuse.
  4. Straight up LIES when it comes to PvP. We've been told we're getting stuff "soon" for these past 2 years. Heck, basic PvP features were "in testing for deployment soon" back in July... of 2010. Have we seen anything of those? NOPE! (Chuck Testa)
  5. Misleading articles on other sites (IGN) based on "news" from the D'Angelo. Leveling in 1 day? Nothing in the C-Store that changes balance? No Pay-2-Win? Wrong.
  6. Not so stellar balance choices.
  7. Bugs that have been in the game FOREVER. Example: 3 Aceton Field's stacked on you will, in fact, make your weapons HEAL your target.
  8. Well known exploits being in the game for months, despite having numerous tickets submitted and forum threads. And anytime someone wants to talk about it, it ends up with infractions/bans.
  9. Since March, we've paid for... what? Pay to win ships, utter fluff like Geklis, and the introduction of new bugs? Oh right, I forgot, sorry. An elaborate Beta test.
  10. Deadlines are missed pretty much every time. Anytime they put out a date, 2-4 weeks to it. If not more. If it's a PvP related, just ignore it entirely. It won't come true anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-09-2011, 09:24 AM
I can

For a new player the game has a plethora of different types of missions to enjoy content. In fact, one of my friends just recently subscribed and is loving the game.

For the record, his time frame may have been off, but it is very possible to get max level AND maxed gear within a week. I know, because my friend did it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
No. I cant. Definitly not. Not in the current state or the current-tribble state.

I wish they would change that.

Yeah I know, big suprise for anyone who read any of my posts during the last weeks...
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyias View Post
I can

For a new player the game has a plethora of different types of missions to enjoy content. In fact, one of my friends just recently subscribed and is loving the game.

For the record, his time frame may have been off, but it is very possible to get max level AND maxed gear within a week. I know, because my friend did it.
Well of course anyone new is going to have a ton of content to play. But then, anyone new hasn't had to suffer through this past year.

And within a week? Quite possibly. One week is far from "one day" or even one whole weekend. Furthermore, by Cryptic's own admission, the vast majority of their playerbase isn't at level cap, almost 2 years after the game launched. If it's taking the average person that long to get up to cap, why punish everyone else? I have 4 toons. I don't want to see the same, boring old PvE missions over and over for any longer than I have to. I struggled through them 3 times after my first run, I don't want to have to do even more for any additional toons.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyias View Post
I can

Yeah...a new player wouldnt have any content issues until they hit max level, which would probably be after F2P and we'll probably be seeing the next FE series around that time.

But I would recommend that people wait until after F2P. That way they dont have to pay the monthly sub at all and if they dont enjoy the game then its no loss for them.

The experience for existing subscribers has definitely sucked these past months, theres no denying that. However I am very interested in hearing how people who start at F2P feel about what they are getting for free.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-09-2011, 09:45 AM
No, I cant recomend this game to anyone. In fact, I will tell them "stay away from cryptic games".
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Yeah...a new player wouldnt have any content issues until they hit max level, which would probably be after F2P and we'll probably be seeing the next FE series around that time.

But I would recommend that people wait until after F2P. That way they dont have to pay the monthly sub at all and if they dont enjoy the game then its no loss for them.

The experience for existing subscribers has definitely sucked these past months, theres no denying that. However I am very interested in hearing how people who start at F2P feel about what they are getting for free.
Agreed, im prepearing my told you so speech just in case
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I can definitely recommend STO, even more so from January 17th 2012 than ever before.

No other game I know features:
  • The Star Trek universe including space and planet-side combat and settings.

• Multiple Star Trek themed ships and gear items

• Multiple Star Trek themed adventures.

• Adventuring together with friends, or strangers.

• A tool that allows any player to create and share their Star Trek themed adventures!

• And after January 17th 2012, doing it all without a subscription fee!
Do we even have any other Star Trek game that has these features?
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I can definitely recommend STO, even more so from January 17th 2012 than ever before.

• A tool that allows any player to create and share their Star Trek themed adventures!

As it was stated a new person coming into STO for first time will not have a problem until they hit VA. Then they will notice what we are now. I might be able to agree with OP to a point but the game in itself is a good game if they would fix what needs to be fixed and quit trying to change everything about it to rip out its aura it once had. now it seems its a shell of what it once was.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post

These points and more. I have and still recommend this game. The Customization Options are single handedly the best on the market for an MMO.

Most WoW Raiders that I have gotten to play STO love the fact there isn't much of an elitist attitude with the community (You needz item level of 400 to do this 348 heroic with us. GTFO NOOB!!) And not to mention, STFs don't take 3 four hour days to clear. You can do an STF in 40minutes to an Hour with a coordinated group, and the learning curve isn't as steep as it was when the Borg used to have those "recharge" Nodes >< Space Combat is the biggest draw. My friends love it! One of them even said "it reminds me of Freelancer and I Loved that game to death" And alot of the CS/BF/CoD Players find the ground "FPS" settings to be an easy transition into the game. It feels familiar but new enough to make it exciting and different every time.

The Dilithium System has it's Pros and Cons. I believe that if it's a time currency it should not be limited to just how many dailies I can do. I like the fact that we can trade CPoints and Dilithium together, I wish we had more of a direct way (player to player) of doing this so I could help out my friends/fleeties with my unused Points/Stipend. Auction Houses have always been a fun mini game for me "how much can I make an hour, how much can I sell"....I guess its like gambling for me lol! In WoW, everything has a gold cost. Repairs, Crafting, Training, etc so I dont see why people are upset with Dilithium being used everywhere as its a MMO norm to pay gold for everything.

Some of the changes are abit worrisum, but I do not believe they will hurt me enough where I will stop having fun. Death is part of the game, and even then, death is just another adventure. In the end, I believe the level of satisfaction of any game is all in the attitude of the player, and the people he/she keeps. Surround yourself with people that just want to have a good time, laughs, and fun and you will always be rewarded. I never have any expectations when I play a game, and the only goal I have is to have fun. It's why I joined The Black Watch and I'm sure all of us will be playing the game exactly as we are now after F2P.My goal is to have fun. If I'm not having fun, there's no reason for me to keep playing.