Lt. Commander
# 1 Torp Spread Fix On The Way!
11-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
  • All Torpedo Spreads, except Tricobalt, have been updated.
    • Made the spread attacks periodic, just like torpedo salvo.
      • Instead of one big hit per target, each target gets hit with 2, 3, or 4 hits
        • This is the same as salvo.
        • Each hit calculates critical individually.
        • This should alleviate the severe spike damage we have been seeing.
    • Each target is hit with a small AoE; this is unchanged.
      • The splash damage now drops off, so if you are next to target that gets hit, you won't get the same full damage that he did.
      • The further away you are from a target, the less splash damage you will get.
      • The splash radius is 300 just as before and the damage drops off linearly so if you are 150 away from the target, you will get half splash damage.
    • Reduced Max Number of targets from 10 to 3, 4, and 5 for Spread I, II and III, respectively.
    • Reduced Spread damage to 75% of its equivalent salvo.
    • Updated the art and tooltips.
    • Removed the AoE from basic and Salvo torpedoes.
    • These changes affect player and NPC torpedoes.
These changes were just posted in the Tribble patch notes. So that means we will see this fix no later than December 8!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-10-2011, 11:03 PM
This is fine but I do have to ask one question: Why is "■This should alleviate the severe spike damage we have been seeing." so bad but the retardedaly easy insta heals and shield resist stacking ok? I can literally blow the crap out of a ship and have it down to less then 10% hull but through the magic of STO a entire starship and crew is magically reparied almost instantly. It's dumb. Against a decent pre-made the only thing you might be able to do is try for an "insta kill" but take that away then to be honest I simply don't see the point.

Often times I literally have to kill a target quicker then schmuck #1 can press his RSP, or schmuck #2 can cast a extend on him, or schmuck #3 can hit me with a SNB, oh yea or back to schmuck #1 hits a TT with his EptS running with all the other retarded shield resists in this game. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo uterly sick of the retardedly easy time healers have in this game insta healing damage as well as the stupid Harry Potter AKA Science B.S that stacks to all new levels of fail.

What should really happen is that the damage calculations used currently for TS should be transferred to HY. Or, if they are not going to do that then they should completely re-work TT and change it from its current form of a poor mans RSP to something that perhaps boosts attack strength? Personally, the AOE of TS was stupid......how the damage was calculated was what was nice about it. Was it a bit cheesy in that multiple torps were calculated as a hit/miss/crit all at once? Perhaps.....but given the cheese of tac teams auto shield rebalancing and shield stacking it wasnt the cheeesiest thing we've had to deal with in game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I have actually comsumed an enormous amount of Vodka when I wrote that so forgive my spelling and grammar.....thanks !!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-11-2011, 04:00 AM
The system works!

Now, all we have to do is make future balance concerns visible in pve circles to get them fixed
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-11-2011, 04:28 AM
That doesnt sound like the fix that was needet... I mean that massive crits were the issue, a revamp of seemingly the whole ability seems a little much...

But lets see how the end results work out... In this case.. Better a bad fix then no fix...
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Trainor
The system works!

Now, all we have to do is make future balance concerns visible in pve circles to get them fixed
If it weren't for the PvE'ers complaining about being 1 shot by Borg, TS would never have been adjusted. (Hi there, 2x shields! Can you please let NPC bosses use this? So we can get it fixed finally?)
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Nice Iceroid. Now I check logs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-11-2011, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorFury View Post
This is fine but I do have to ask one question: Why is "■This should alleviate the severe spike damage we have been seeing." so bad but the retardedaly easy insta heals and shield resist stacking ok? I can literally blow the crap out of a ship and have it down to less then 10% hull but through the magic of STO a entire starship and crew is magically reparied almost instantly. It's dumb. Against a decent pre-made the only thing you might be able to do is try for an "insta kill" but take that away then to be honest I simply don't see the point.

Often times I literally have to kill a target quicker then schmuck #1 can press his RSP, or schmuck #2 can cast a extend on him, or schmuck #3 can hit me with a SNB, oh yea or back to schmuck #1 hits a TT with his EptS running with all the other retarded shield resists in this game. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo uterly sick of the retardedly easy time healers have in this game insta healing damage as well as the stupid Harry Potter AKA Science B.S that stacks to all new levels of fail.

What should really happen is that the damage calculations used currently for TS should be transferred to HY. Or, if they are not going to do that then they should completely re-work TT and change it from its current form of a poor mans RSP to something that perhaps boosts attack strength? Personally, the AOE of TS was stupid......how the damage was calculated was what was nice about it. Was it a bit cheesy in that multiple torps were calculated as a hit/miss/crit all at once? Perhaps.....but given the cheese of tac teams auto shield rebalancing and shield stacking it wasnt the cheeesiest thing we've had to deal with in game.
Two wrongs don't make a right. And changing the game dynamics to move from the infinite healing vs not quite infinite damage potential broken by infinite science spam looks like a giant task that I am not sure can be handled.
Maybe we have to settle for science spam losing its annoyance factor somewhat. (E.g. "nerf" Scramble, but not SNB), and a few of the heal annoyance as well (for example: Tactical Team nerfs Tacticals two-fold - remove APB and FOMM, and nerf spikes - so splitting the skill or otherwise nerfing it may help)
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
. And changing the game dynamics to move from the infinite healing vs not quite infinite damage potential broken by infinite science spam looks like a giant task that I am not sure can be handled.
Maybe we have to settle for science spam losing its annoyance factor somewhat. (E.g. "nerf" Scramble, but not SNB), and a few of the heal annoyance as well (for example: Tactical Team nerfs Tacticals two-fold - remove APB and FOMM, and nerf spikes - so splitting the skill or otherwise nerfing it may help)
Have been playing this game since launch and i gotta say .. huh ?
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Have been playing this game since launch and i gotta say .. huh ?
The game has several "extreme" elements. You have a lot of buffs that can significantly raise your resistances to damage. If you don't use them, you're dead fast, if you use them, you are very hard to kill. If you don't buff your damage (weapon power to max, tactical buffs), you won't amount to much. Then you also got very powerful healing - ships jump down from severely damaged to undamaged via a few clicks. Someone rotating his defense buffs and heals or receiving heals can be impossible to take down with damage buffs (despite these giving considerable bonuses). Science powers are used to break through these defense rotations - subnucleonic beam kills all buffs, scramble sensors and shockwaves ensures that heals don't reach the intented target, giving people enough time to break through the healing and resistances to kill a target. (But you need to be fast about it.)

The result is not exactly a tie between damage and healing, but a tie between the parties - no one kills anyone - unless you have the tie-breaker in form of science powers.

Scramble Sensors is one of the most annoying of these tie-breakers, since your buffs and attacks hitting the wrong targets despite you explicitely setting them yourself removes player control and is frustrating. So a short-term solution is to address what Scramble Sensors does to make it less anoying.

We can also address some of the issues with healing and resistances. Splitting Tactical Team into two skills - one for removing tactical debuffs and applying some kind of offense-oriented buff, and one for distributing shield power to shields under fire. This means some offensive strategies to work better again as the defenses against them cover less.

But actually fixing the fact that buffs always grant such significant improvemens, and heals being as strong as they are.
That's a very fundamental issue. It requires re-thinking the entire space combat system, It hink, and it may simply be out of scope for a game already live.