Lt. Commander
We were led to believe that the switchover to PW would usher in a new golden era for the game. And yet, all we have seen is continued stagnation of a product which, by its very nature, should be unceasingly dynamic. The only thing dynamic that is going on is the movement of money from our bank accounts to theirs.

Well at least we're getting the Borg ground invasion of Defera soon. I can understand them taking a long time to develop such a big addition (and yes it IS big), but we also need smaller things added on a monthly and weekly basis.

Every new piece of playable content does NOT need new assets designed from the ground up. If our foundry authors can be creative using pre-existing assets which have not been added to for quite some time, then they bloody well can as well. Only they can deploy directly to the core game thus makeing the content official. They could have had ONE GUY turning out new missions every week since PW took over. But no. Instead, they have spent all this time figuring out ways to suck money from us when F2P goes into effect.

What we should be seeing is a new basic PvE mission each week for each faction. A new PvP mission each month that somehow relates to events mentioned in the basic PvE weekly missions. A new STF-scale mission each month for each faction, again related to the events of the basic PvE missions. Each month we should be seeing new content for all supported playstyles for all factions.

At this stage, as much as I supported the conversion to F2P, I would rather them scrap those plans and focus on making the game WORTH spending money on.

They keep coming out with new ships that people rush to the C-store to buy. But for what? What is the point in getting new ships if there is no new playable content to use them in. It's like a woman having a walk-in closet full of party dresses but she never goes to any parties.

Right now it's set up so all we do is throw them money for stuff that we really don't need and they make no effort to actually get content to us that would make it all worthwhile.

They said they do not intend to gate us from content with money-related stuff. Fine. But get the content out to us. Use official playable content to show off the things that will be sold in the C-store. Make it look cool in the content. Wait a week after the content goes live and people start to say, "That uniform would look cool on my characters," or "That ship looks awesome!", and then release those things on the C-store.

Make stuff that people want to spend money on, and guess what? They'll spend money on it. We do not need to be nickeled and dimed to death due to monetization of EVERY LITTLE THING in the game.

Even if the team is still trying to rebuild itself after the Atari layoffs, surely there are enough people there who can do SOMETHING to keep the game dynamic. They are trying to do all these BIG things when they are not staffed up enough to pull them off on a timely manner. Even if we are forced to endure a ten minute PvE mission per week until they staff up enough to broaden themselves out into all areas and playstyles, it would be more content than we've seen in months.

They don't have to be sad about things not happening if they would get up off their butts and MAKE THEM BLOODY HAPPEN! Just keep it real with what they are capable of. Don't let the reach excede the grasp. I would have shelved the DOFF system and the Borg Ground invasion system and pooled the existing team resources into the problem that the game has had from day one: Not enough playable content.

One person with the right tools and understanding can churn out new missions on a weekly basis. I would assign four people to the task. Three for Klingon missions. One for the Federation. When the total number of Klingon missions equals that of the Federation, I would move two of the Klingon mission writers over to Romulan mission development, leaving one dedicated writer for both UFP and KDF content.

Each writer must be able to produce missions that can be deployed on a weekly basis. Write the missions so they are not linear sequels to each other, but rather, stand alone missions. This way, if the writer has an idea for a mission that could use a piece of new artwork, they can request it from the art team. They can keep that mission on the back burner until the art is ready, releasing other missions in the meantime.

And bling bling bling! New art asset in official mission content? New C-store item for foundry or personal use if applicable.

The art team should focus on creating all sorts of new assets to put in the hands of official mission writers. New ships. New costumes. New interior pieces. New props. Their goal should be to watch every episode of ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY and make note of EVERYTHING they see, from sets to props to every costume that can be clearly definable. And produce a library of digital assets from all that. The writers can have access to all of it. And as it actually gets used in the game, it can become available for C-store purchase.

We all remember the models of cities they used as transitional shots in the series? Well, let someone look at those shots and imagine if you could actually walk around in the spaces seen on the screen. City Exterior Social Hub zone with a massive number of potential doors for foundry OR officvial mission interior areas...

Bring the Trek Universe to life.

This is the stuff they should be doing, in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-12-2011, 09:28 AM
You and I, both, have seen this all before. (I remember your postings from SWG) It would seem that Cryptic is going down the exact failed path that SOE chose with Galaxies, including an NGE (F2P CHANGES), a C6CD (the skill box revamp), and TCG (putting in things the community had been asking for for years, only for real money).

We've been there, done that, and got the T-shirt. If Cryptic keeps up this path, we both know how it will end up, also.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Perfect World is a publicly traded company I propose that we the community get together and buy up the stock and use it as a voting block in order to enact change in the company. If we got enough stock they would have to listen to our concerns. Money is the only thing companies listen to so let's use that to our advantage.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerimus13 View Post
Perfect World is a publicly traded company I propose that we the community get together and buy up the stock and use it as a voting block in order to enact change in the company. If we got enough stock they would have to listen to our concerns. Money is the only thing companies listen to so let's use that to our advantage.
Buy 51% of the company stocks, that's the only way PW is going to listen to you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
Buy 51% of the company stocks, that's the only way PW is going to listen to you.
At this moment, there are roughly 50,200,000 outstanding shares.
Each share is currently selling for $11.78 USD
51% of 50,200,000 is 25,602,000 shares
25,602,000 shares at $11.78 per share is $301,591,560.00

If 1000 of us were divide the cost equally between us, we would each have to pony up $301,591.56

Even if 2000 of us were to participate, it would still mean $150,795.78 from each of us.

Not very encouraging
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
What is it trading for? How many shares are available. How much money would it take to reach majority (51%) shareholder status?

You will find that when you add it all up, this community would likely have to raise more money thant Cryptic Studios itself sold for in order to gain any real leverage. Now Buying at least one share would make us at least shareholders. But unless our holdings with the company are significant, our voice would be about as effective as it is now...

At present, I don't have disposable income to throw into buying stock in PW or anyone else... It's an interesting concept, though...
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-12-2011, 10:05 AM
So your suggestion is to build foundry-quality missions themselves so we get a new mission every week without new art assets? How is this any different from foundry missions made by players? Do you just want more daily rewards? I would rather the devs use their resources to make new stuff than rehash things we can already rehash.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenizenVI
So your suggestion is to build foundry-quality missions themselves so we get a new mission every week without new art assets? How is this any different from foundry missions made by players? Do you just want more daily rewards? I would rather the devs use their resources to make new stuff than rehash things we can already rehash.
No... I said that NOT EVERY piece of new playable content needs new assets.

Let me use Lego sets as an example... There are a fixed number of types of lego pieces in each phase of lego products. And yet with the variety of colors, and the ability to combine them in infinite ways, the possibilities are only limited by the imagination of the builder.

It is the same with mission building.

I would not mind seeing an official content writer using the same exact tools that foundry authors have access to, and deploy their missions directly into the game instead of having them secured behind a protective wall that separates UGC from official content. Content is content after all, and as long as it is officially made, and it keeps coming, who are we to complain.

But the point is we don't even have THAT, but we COULD if Cryptic were to stop monkeying around with stuff that is on the horizon when they need to be dealing with what is going on right here and right now.

I think you knew what I was talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
What is it trading for? How many shares are available. How much money would it take to reach majority (51%) shareholder status?

You will find that when you add it all up, this community would likely have to raise more money thant Cryptic Studios itself sold for in order to gain any real leverage. Now Buying at least one share would make us at least shareholders. But unless our holdings with the company are significant, our voice would be about as effective as it is now...

At present, I don't have disposable income to throw into buying stock in PW or anyone else... It's an interesting concept, though...
Last I checked it was going for about 14 bucks a share. I know one of us could not buy enough shares to make them care that is why I proposed that we get together as a community and buy the shares. In essence we would be taking over the company. If each person bought what was easy on their budget then we might be able to get close to 51 percent. In reality we would not have to have a controlling interest but a large enough block to make them take notice.

I know this might not be feasible but I thought I would throw it out there are and have a discussion about it.

What made me think out this is the Occupy Wall Street movement. I got to thinking what if everyday normal people got together and bought stocks in companies and come together and created controlling interest so the culture of corruption and greed in these companies could be nullified. I guess I was just have a thought experiment but I really don't see how we as consumers can get companies to listen to us unless we figure out a way to make them think of the bottom line.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Last I checked it was going for about 14 bucks a share. I know one of us could not buy enough shares to make them care that is why I proposed that we get together as a community and buy the shares. In essence we would be taking over the company. If each person bought what was easy on their budget then we might be able to get close to 51 percent. In reality we would not have to have a controlling interest but a large enough block to make them take notice.

I know this might not be feasible but I thought I would throw it out there are and have a discussion about it.

What made me think out this is the Occupy Wall Street movement. I got to thinking what if everyday normal people got together and bought stocks in companies and come together and created controlling interest so the culture of corruption and greed in these companies could be nullified. I guess I was just have a thought experiment but I really don't see how we as consumers can get companies to listen to us unless we figure out a way to make them think of the bottom line.
Problem is that PWI is also a US version of a holding company owned via offshore interests. The main parent is PW and is owned and operated via a joint venture with a Gov't entity. You will never be able to buy controling interest in a company such as this. That parent will not let this happen.

All it will do is make their stock prices go up via demand.