Lt. Commander
They aren't challenging, and they aren't fun. The ones on holodeck are.

My complaints are:

-The story of the new versions of the STF's seem mishmashed and incoherent. Like why Donatra just appears out of no where in the new KA.

-Far too short. I don't know why the only team content that was a challenge had to be cut in half and dumbed down to the point of absurdity, but there it is. The STF's were fine, and I think a better course, that would have knocked 2 birds with one stone, would be to create NEW short "STF-like" missions geared for the casual teamers.

Now the people who really liked what we have on holo (in my fleet at least) are a bit angry. One members even talked directly to an owner of cryptic I hear (I agree, I have no proof of that and am slightly questioning of it myself). But the point remains, whats in store for STF's sucks.

I get the idea of being more casual friendly, and some people don't have the time (like me recently), but there's nothing set in stone saying that all content need be played by all players. If people can avoid PvP like the plague, they could avoid the STF's like the plague, and yet here we are, with dumbed down content to appease those who will probably still go on and on about how hard these new versions are, while those of us who like the content lose what we like most in the game.

Fail is all it it. Fail covered in cold watery salsa. Just one more point towards the red in my view of cryptic/PW...

Disclaimer: I do like Gozer and all the work he does, but I really feel it harmful to the game to take whats already in it and re make it for a demographic that proclaims itself not interested in that content to begin with.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
They aren't challenging, and they aren't fun. The ones on holodeck are.

My complaints are:

-The story of the new versions of the STF's seem mishmashed and incoherent. Like why Donatra just appears out of no where in the new KA.

-Far too short. I don't know why the only team content that was a challenge had to be cut in half and dumbed down to the point of absurdity, but there it is. The STF's were fine, and I think a better course, that would have knocked 2 birds with one stone, would be to create NEW short "STF-like" missions geared for the casual teamers.

Now the people who really liked what we have on holo (in my fleet at least) are a bit angry. One members even talked directly to an owner of cryptic I hear (I agree, I have no proof of that and am slightly questioning of it myself). But the point remains, whats in store for STF's sucks.

I get the idea of being more casual friendly, and some people don't have the time (like me recently), but there's nothing set in stone saying that all content need be played by all players. If people can avoid PvP like the plague, they could avoid the STF's like the plague, and yet here we are, with dumbed down content to appease those who will probably still go on and on about how hard these new versions are, while those of us who like the content lose what we like most in the game.

Fail is all it it. Fail covered in cold watery salsa. Just one more point towards the red in my view of cryptic/PW...

Disclaimer: I do like Gozer and all the work he does, but I really feel it harmful to the game to take whats already in it and re make it for a demographic that proclaims itself not interested in that content to begin with.
The STF revamps were planned before the F2P changes.....so now we get an Asian grindfest MMO with weak end game content.....does anything make sense anymore?What's the freakin' point?
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Ya... I know the revamps were planned, but the cutting in half and dumbing down parts weren't expressed until later
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-12-2011, 07:41 PM
I gotta say, as an avid space pvp'er, I love the way the STF's are now. I remember starting them with my former fleet team, and we couldn't even finish Infected in 3 hours. That was awful. But as I progressed and switched fleets, they became much easier, but still way too time consuming. Then I managed to get through the Cure in what I considered a decent time. Not too long ago I did KA with SOB for the first time, and it only took us about 1 hour 20 minutes, and it was FUN. I remember trying KA way back when and not even being able to successfully complete the first part of KA in that time.

I have to say I much prefer doing a one hour-ish mission one time for a specific reward than having to do a 15 minutes mission 12 or more times over for a specific reward. This isn't just dumbing down, it's grinding and monetizing in the worst way.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-12-2011, 07:44 PM
What's SOB?
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Quote:
What's SOB?
A space pvp fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Fail is all it it.
LOL, yes... fail is all it it... Someone needs to turn that into a new meme...

I can see how making the STFs more accessible to non-fleet/regularly teamed players could be a negative thing, however there should be some consolation that only the elitest of the elite can get the elite gear by doing the elite STFs and proudly wear their elite costumes with their elite gear so everyone knows how elite they are. Ego stroking and elitism can still be a found in the STFs, it's just tied to the difficulty slider. But now you get these awesome costumes to wear in ESD so everyone knows how special you are!

Sarcasm aside, the concept of challenging game play isn't flawed. Everyone likes a nice challenge. The concept that the only way to present this challenge is through forced team content is where the flaw in logic comes in. The only focus on the STFs seems to be making sure they require 5 others players. Granted it IS a challenge to find 5 other decent players, but I don't think that simply overcoming the deficiencies in the player base should be how to acquire the best gear in the game.

Get a new dev, get someone whose focus is on trying to come up with a way to challenge the player in new and interesting ways. Leave the tired, old, contrived MMO-style raid gameplay mechanics to other games where people expect such things.

Making missions that are a challenge and fun to do on a team OR with your BOs would benefit the game far more than anything they could ever do with the STFs. And it is possible to really challenge someone outside of forcing them to spam "LFG" in chat or wait in queues.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Gah, missed the typo. lol

Anyway. Some of us like raid style content, and if its so horrible, they could have left the STF's as they were and actually ADD SOMETHING!! to teh game. They didn't. They took something already in there, rewrote the story, dumbed it down, broke it in half, and called it new. Its not new content.

When was the last time some actual new stuff to do was put in? Remasters are just wastes of time, and don't add anything to the overall amount of material to the game.