Lt. Commander
# 1 F2P change - A diffrent angle
11-13-2011, 11:37 AM
EDIT: WOHA... wall of text coming up...

I admit it... I've been against F2P from day one... I do not belive that it will be a good thing for STO, or the community, especially with the somewhat nuts changes currently being implemented on Tribble.

That said: I recently promised my fleet that I am going to stay untill the last member of my fleet leaves the game, and that I would try to learn to like what they are doing to the game I like so much...

Now I know what some of you are thinking: "he is a lifer... he can't leave"... Let me correct you right there:
Of cause I can. Deleting the game will not be a big issue for me, and neither will staying away.
At this point I am here for my fleet and the great people I have in it, and not the game.

But back to positive, so here is my shot at it:

F2P Matrix:

The F2P maxtrix is a hot topic... What does it offer people who actually intend to sign a subscription?
TBH pretty much nothing: By going silver and spending a few $$$ in the C-Store you have pretty much everything a Gold member has, without the $15 extra fee.
Sure it has the free foundry slots, but with the current laughable state of the foundry, that on its own, combined with the fact that most players probably don't even create missions, it is just not somthing to base a scuscription fee on... Only true benefit is that we can convert dilithium without loggin in, and the Vet rewards wich take forever to get.

... but that dosen't nessacarily mean there isn't benefit to it.

F2P = alot of new players who come to check out the game, and if only 10% of thoose stick around, and buy C-Store stuffs, we MIGHT get enough income to motivate Cryptic to finally start making missions.

Cause Cryptic hasn't been doing much for us sub's in the past 9 months, and if they don't start pushing out content, it is also a sign that they want, not only the subscribers gone, but the entire game.

Players as QA:

Alot of people have been saying that having players test and making QA on the game is a bad move... I could not dissagree more.

What I do disagree on, is that it is clear that Cryptic to a high degree ignores the feedback they are getting. Most of the time they try to explain their way out of well founded complaints, and even when they make changes that are highly protested it is mostly minor changes that in the grand scheme of things nothing that really changes things (VA-Tolken anyone?)

While I agree that there should be a professional team testing, I belive that no one knows better how STO is supposed to be, than the players, so to me it is obvious that WE should be the one making QA on it.

That Cryptic ignores us to a high degree, is not the games or the Dev's fault.

C-Store Changes and Pricing:

ALOT of stuff has gone into the C-Store recently, and it is getting a disgusting habbit. Combined with that, existing items will be raised in pricing when F2P goes live wich is even sillier since nothing has truely changed about them, apart from some fiddeling around with consoles and stuff that wasn't really nessacary.

The only good thing about that I can think of, is that if you already have theese items, you should (according to cryptic) not expirience any changes from your original purchase.

Well theres another benefit: Hopefully Cryptic will earn enough money to finally buy themselves a true content (missions) team.

+1 ships:

Ships that are a little better than other ships at the same Tier? All C-Store... HMMMMMM... Not good Cryptic... You kinda promised that no game changeing elements would make it into the C-Store.

That said... I've been up against thoose supposed "better" ships, and keep laughing... Maybe they are better against NPC's, but really... A human player will be much better than any ship you can buy.

Dilithium exchange:

I have some mixed feelings about this... On one side I see the benefit of people being able to get "free" C-Points, but on the other side it seems mostly like a move to earn money and nothing else.

Dilithium on Reshearch:

This is the one thing I have indeed decided is unforgiveable.
This is done for one thing, and one thing only: To fill Cryptic's pockets with money. Even with my Holodeck converted emblems -> dilithium would only allow me to create a "handful" (I have roughly 500k Dil) items. Bad, Silly, Stupid, lame move... really.

Conclution

I know I have far from covered all aspects, but theese are the ones that concern me the most at this time apart from the skill and console re-vamp wich ruin the concept of individuality and concequence of choice, but that is really a matter of personal preference, wich is hard to argue properly.

I have a hard time buying that Cryptic is indeed making theese changes to benefit the players, and it seems that most of the changes are designed to slow down gameplay to have you spend more time in the game, and by doing so, hopefully get you to buy more from the C-Store.

The benefits is, that the game will be easier to get into for new players, and will have the motivation of the word "Free".
In the long run, F2P is here to stay, and Im sure Cryptic is thinking (provided they read this): "you're damned right . o O ($$$$$) " when I say: Theres not a thing we can do about it.

So that is my take on a more positive spin on all the bad things... I know its mixed but I see the benefits... I probably just have to get used to it, and pray my fleet dosent quit.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I couldn't imagine STO without your Fleet and you at the helm

*passes Stor a cup of Reilyra's special hot optimism chocolate*

Well, you know what i am like with STO. I love the game, and i have tried (and pretty much succeeded) to remain positive throughout the announcement of F2P to all the changes we have come to see. There are a few issues that still bite my toes, but generally i can not wait for this to hit Holodeck in a little under a month (*fingers crossed*).

I understand your concerns, along with so many others. I do hope my faith in Cryptic and the game is rewarded over the next year and beyond, because it does have so much potential. You've already got so many things right so far - Space Combat, a crew i actually feel something and care about, a far better ground combat than i could have hoped, some beautiful surroundings, the Doffs (thank you Heretic!!!), the list goes on - And i do hope you realise this. I just want more.

I remember back to when the Romulan FE was released. The buzz in-game and on these forums was amazing (post server issues :p). I understand there have been things happen that would have affected any other mmo (i.e. the takeover), but now that is done and dusted, now and these next few months and post-F2P release is when i hope you pull out all of the stops. I want that same weekend feeling that Cloaked Intentions bought with it, along with the anticipation during the weekdays for the next episode. This was STO for me at its finest.
I don't want to see STO die. I love this game so very much and i do hope i end up playing this for a great many years to come. Just make it so Cryptic
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, I for one planing to stick around it is a fun game to play and you guys are great people to play with.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
C-Store Changes and Pricing:

ALOT of stuff has gone into the C-Store recently, and it is getting a disgusting habbit. Combined with that, existing items will be raised in pricing when F2P goes live wich is even sillier since nothing has truely changed about them, apart from some fiddeling around with consoles and stuff that wasn't really nessacary.
While a lot of things have increased in price, and some are very quesitonable (like the increases in uniforms and bridges), people *keep on* saying everything has raised in price, which *is not true*. The T1 and T2 ships are lower (with t1 *substantially* lower) than they currently are on Holodeck.

It may not seem like a big deal to current subscribers (except maybe those who haven't purchased the T1 or T2 ships) but it'll be quite nice for new players who want to fly a Constituiton.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Don't leave me!!!
Think of the children!!!
NOOOOOO!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-15-2011, 08:54 AM
If i had a dime for every time i saw this. One or more changes happen to "their" game and its the end for them, quits, bye forever! STO is in the same boat as champions was before their F2P switch, it was good but it could be better, that's what Cryptic is trying to do, get more people into the game. As a lifer you're not losing anything, you get 400 points per month for just being in the game system, you could take a 2 year break from the game and come back with 9600 c-store points. With that amount you can buy every ship on the C store if you haven't already, and you can use the new dilithium exchange to sell the rest. Yes the new crafting items are and issue, but is crafting mandatory? No you can level thru the game with loot drops very easily, most of the endgame drops are gear towards anti-borg and you're already fighting them. 2 more weeks til this stuff hits live, the next patches would most likely be bug fixes and polish based on forum feed back.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Anazonda, from what I understand Cryptic was in the process of working on the next FE series when they were purchased by Perfect World. PW decided they wanted STO to go F2P, the logical steps would then be to prep the C-Store with items and halt further content launches until Free-to-Play went live. This has been a really long stretch without anything to do, but I believe Cryptic will resume playable-content launches at a consistent pace once they have F2P out the door.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun555 View Post
Anazonda, from what I understand Cryptic was in the process of working on the next FE series when they were purchased by Perfect World. PW decided they wanted STO to go F2P, the logical steps would then be to prep the C-Store with items and halt further content launches until Free-to-Play went live. This has been a really long stretch without anything to do, but I believe Cryptic will resume playable-content launches at a consistent pace once they have F2P out the door.
Actually from what I've heard, Atari was the one holding Cryptic back from doing a full F2P conversion like CO. They had to wait for PW to buy them out before they could go ahead. It is one of the reasons why dstahl stayed on as long as he did, to make sure that STO could get out from under Atari still kicking enough to go F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo80 View Post
If i had a dime for every time i saw this. One or more changes happen to "their" game and its the end for them, quits, bye forever! STO is in the same boat as champions was before their F2P switch, it was good but it could be better, that's what Cryptic is trying to do, get more people into the game. As a lifer you're not losing anything, you get 400 points per month for just being in the game system, you could take a 2 year break from the game and come back with 9600 c-store points. With that amount you can buy every ship on the C store if you haven't already, and you can use the new dilithium exchange to sell the rest. Yes the new crafting items are and issue, but is crafting mandatory? No you can level thru the game with loot drops very easily, most of the endgame drops are gear towards anti-borg and you're already fighting them. 2 more weeks til this stuff hits live, the next patches would most likely be bug fixes and polish based on forum feed back.
This is a very good example of why public forums are really a bad idea.

Please... I beg you on bleeding knees... Find a single "I quit" element in my post.

As a lifer i tend to care if I have invested alot of money into somthing I was expecting to play for as long as teh game was life. Why is that somthing that is so insanely hard for people to to get into their heads.
I didn Žbuy LTS for the borg... i bought it because I wanted to make sure I could play.

Edit: Also I left Champs after it went F2P... Got sick of the influx of idiot players over there, and I havnt been back since.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Ok Anazonda.

"That said: I recently promised my fleet that I am going to stay untill the last member of my fleet leaves the game,"

So right here you say you are going to quit, even though under very specific conditions, you do say "I am going to stay untill"

What I'm saying is give the game some more time, the devs have slowed the content development down to work on the F2P part of the game, but once that is done they will work on new missions and other cool things. We still haven't seen the other half of the skill revamp yet and they are still working on the borg part of the missions. So give it time.