Lt. Commander
# 1 My thoughts on STO's F2P model
11-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Ok, so I've been playing on Tribble now for around a month or so, and I have to admit, I like a lot of the changes I see. In particular, I'm loving the DOff system, and the PvE queueing system. DOffs are just fun, and the queueing system makes getting groups for fleet actions considerably easier, something that was always a problem until now.

Having spent the weekend basically playing as my VA on Tribble, the new economy more or less makes sense. One of the very few real problems I have with it is the dilithium refining cap. I understand that is serves as a brake for introducing dilithium into the economy, which is a good idea, but I do think it is set too low. If I had my way, I would increase the refining cap to about 12,000-15,000 for gold members, and leave it at 8,000 for silvers.

Something else I'm not too keen on, although, again, it is understood why they did it, is the removal of the VA token. This won't be as much of a problem on Holodeck, where I have other characters to support any new ones I create, and already have ships unlocked in the C-Store, but it was rather irritating not to be able to get my top rank ship on Tribble without buying it in the store, especially since all of my stipends had been spent on DOffs. I like the fact that they are returning it to us as part of the vet rewards, but I think 600 days is a little excessive, especially since they are using the token to 'replace' part of the 500 day reward (which, in itself, makes no sense either - adding something to the 600 day reward to replace something taken from the 500 day reward...).

The last item I'd like to mention is the one I despise. Forcing players down a single route if they want to progress through missions. Good God, it is awful how it is set up. I am VA, but can't access Borg space because I haven't yet finished working my way through the Klingon, Romulan, and Cardassian fronts, let alone the featured episodes. This is terrible!!!

I understand wanting to keep missions linked on each front, and agree with this approach, but why do we need to finish one front before moving on to the next? What happens during the Klingon front has no relevence to the Romulan front. I say set the different fronts to unlock depending on level, but keep the missions for each front linear and chained. Also, remove the featured episodes from the whole mission setup. They have nothing to do with the various war fronts (apart, arguably, from the Romulans), and are not designed to be part of the usual story arcs, so why try to integrate them now? Keep them seperate, and take away (or at least reduce) the ludicrous level requirements for them (Rear Admiral rank for the Breen episodes, for example).

The rest of F2P really doesn't look too bad.